Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rjhdsa

few questions about ACV basics

so after reading about 20 threads on this forum, i got that ACV seems to work well for people's bacne. I have acne along the top of my back/shoulderblade area and along the sternum area of my chest. I've never tried anything but BP and Ziana to treat these acne areas, but they don't seem to be working well. I'm always wary about trying things on my skin (for fear that they might get worse) so i have a few questions about ACV:

1. I got that you can find ACV in supermarkets, but some people seem to have ordered theirs online. Are the online ones made specially for treating acne or are they just the same ones as in supermarkets?

2. what is it about the ACV that makes it work well on acne? is it the acidity?

3. is there any redness/skin sensitivity that occurs when using ACV? i wear a backpack everyday (college student) and i don't want the straps rubbing against my upper back area if it's going to hurt like hell.

4. does ACV have a strong smell? i would like to use something that I can put on my skin and leave there while not smelling all day like acetic acid

Thanks for any feedback

Edited by rjhdsa

(1) Shouldn't matter where you buy your ACV, as long as it's organic; I buy Bragg's from GNC.

(2) For some, ACV, when ingested, "cleans" out the system, ridding the body of toxins, thus helping to clear skin. When applied topically, it helps to dissolve fatty deposits on the skin’s surface and reduces scaly conditions, promoting a softer, smoother appearance. It also regulates the pH of the skin.

I do both. I take 2 tablespoons with 8 oz. filtered water each morning. And I use it as a toner after cleansing (2 parts green tea to 2 parts ACV).

(3) I experienced redness and irritation when I tried to use it undiluted. Be sure to dilute with water or green tea before applying topically; this will lessen your risk for irritation.

(4) YES! My boyfriend won't come near me after I've applied it to my face. The smell will eventually fade, though, especially if it's diluted.

what would happen, hypothetically, if i just put it on my finger straight out of the bottle and onto my back (no dilution)? i like to think i have tough skin esp on my back seeing as how BP / Ziana does nothing. would this burn the everloving eff out of my skin or would it be more effective since it would be at a higher concentration?

i guess what i'm really asking is if it is safe to apply straight undiluted ACV on my back

Edited by rjhdsa

i got something of a chemical burn on my face when i applied it undiluted; it lasted for about 3 days. i would err on the side of caution - and try it diluted first...if you feel your skin does well, apply again with less dilution, and on and on...i've been using ACV for a while (nearly 9 months) and my skin still can't handle full strength