Notifications
Clear all

Red Wine always helps me

MemberMember
(@beavisthebutthead)

Posted : 04/03/2010 2:30 pm

Whenever I drink heavily (4+drinks) I almost always have worse breakouts either the day after or the following day but I've noticed that every single time I drink red wine my acne is significantly better the next day! Not just on my face either. I have cystic acne on chest/back and the hard nodules are must smaller/softer the day after I drink a bottle (or two).

Has anyone else had this experience? Any possible explanations?

While the dehydration part may play a minor role I dont think this is the reason bc all other alcohol makes it worse and I always chug about 5 8 oz. glasses of water after a night of drinking before sleep.

Also, everywhere I read I keep seeing how acne is caused by excess oil or bacteria but I suspect the immune system of the person plays a much larger role in acne (bacteria are literally all around us on everything and the fact that older people get acne while producing much less sebum then adolescents supports this fact). By the way I have tried Dan's AHA w/out much success but his treatment product does work OK. imo the 3 step washes work better for me though

MemberMember
(@dirtbomb)

Posted : 04/03/2010 3:21 pm

Awesome, thanks for sharing, gotta start replacing the occasional white wine I have with red wine despite the horrible taste.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 04/03/2010 4:00 pm

I think it has to do with reservatrol that is in the red whine/

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 04/04/2010 2:51 am

I think it has to do with reservatrol that is in the red whine/

ive noticed that shots of hard liquor can improve my face for up to two to four days afterward, so this observation i dont think is totally a coincidence.

My own tentative explanation is that the alcohol is killing off bad bacteria in the intestine, in your case is coudl also be the acetic acid in wine, which may be responsible for peoples experiances on acne.org for apple cider vineger, topical and internally used. But thats the only explanation i have.

MemberMember
(@clc111)

Posted : 04/05/2010 4:47 pm

The only negative effect I have from red wine is increased dry eyes.

MemberMember
(@ttandersen)

Posted : 04/06/2010 4:10 pm

Good excuse for drinking red wine; I LIKE!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/06/2010 5:13 pm

Resveratrol possibly helps prevent hyperkeratinization. And a small amount of alcohol helps blood pressure or circulation something which helps with blood sugar metabolism. Whatever it is it does that helps prevent heart disease.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Resveratrol-t165897.html

MemberMember
(@andrewmouse)

Posted : 05/17/2011 8:35 am

my first experience with red wine is when there is no other liquor to drink! beer is my partner...

MemberMember
(@greeneyes33)

Posted : 05/17/2011 8:37 am

Red wine is probably the most healthy of all the alcohols, so it doesn't surprise me! I love it. I actually reallly like sangria but thats probably not the best for my skin because it tastes like candy.

MemberMember
(@oneredwine)

Posted : 05/17/2011 8:59 am

Miam! hahahahah :D

MemberMember
(@chocobot)

Posted : 05/17/2011 9:42 am

Red wine always make my skin feel worst and leads to breakout, just like with beer. Takes only an hour before my skin will feel heavy and oilier.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 05/17/2011 1:05 pm

I used to take a resveratrol supplement a long time ago, I forgot about the whole hyperkeritinization thing. I might add it back into my regimen. It's worth noting that although I still had acne (I didn't have my regimen figured out back then), I did not experience any eczema breakouts, which may have been due to the resveratrol. I'll let you guys know about how the wine helps when I turn 21.

MemberMember
(@epicdermis)

Posted : 05/17/2011 2:16 pm

I don't think red wine actually contains enough resveratrol to have a significant effect on your skin. Resveratrol is probably more effective as a supplement or applied topically...

MemberMember
(@chocobot)

Posted : 05/17/2011 2:36 pm

That's what the study showed, and there is certainly more reservatol n grapes than in wine.

MemberMember
(@msfoxyroxy)

Posted : 03/06/2019 12:49 am

I've been reading a lot of articles on excess vitamin b12 causing acne. Then, I read that consuming alcohol reduces b12 uptake in the body, so maybe there's a connection...