Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ringojackson

Do cysts typically scar even when left alone?

This is actually the first time I've ever gotten a cyst! Usually I just get pustules and papules haha..

But, one popped up a few days ago... I know that it will scar if picked at, but will it still scar if I just leave it alone? It's not TOO big of a cyst... A bit smaller than a pencil eraser.

I'm debating whether or not to get a cortisone shot... I'm not so much worried about the cyst itself as about it leaving a scar.

yes generally when you get acne and it comes to a head, pops by itself or you rub it too hard or touch it, move your skin causing it to rip will scar eventually.

I get cysts every so often. When I was younger I didn't know what thy were, and I'd pick. But because I was young, I had little scarring. As I got older and found Google, I realized letting them be, works best. Some people make the mistake of popping them with a needle, when really the infection is deep within the skin. Which is why mostly clear liquid and blood comes out. And so many squeeze & squeeze, and squeeze. Often when it's also popped, it gets infected even worse.

So the best thing to do, if you can't see a derm. Is to let the body fight it off naturally. Which can take months. The last one I had, was in the corner on the left side of my forehead. Although I didn't pick, it did leave some minor discoloration. But I find the discoloration usually fades within a year or so, and can usually be hidden easily. Acne medication does work to a degree, but it can be irritating if the skin is peeling/sensitive from swelling. But of anything, you just want to wash your face, and stick to whatever regimen that is being used. Little cosmetics should be used too.

Also, some believe when it pops, it's gone. Usually that's not true with cystic acne. It can take weeks to months for the cystic pimple to go down and heal. Also popping and hard touching, can spread the cystic acne. Causing it to sprout again another day, or make a new cystic neighbor for the face. For me, it runs in my family. And although I still get them, I don't get them nearly as often as when I was young. But very little scarring should occur if it was handled carefully.

bb89 I think that you wrote a good post with lots of accurate information based on what you have learned but more importantly by your own experience.

The best way to deal with a cyst today, in my opinion, is to have it injected. I used to favor drainage and surgical excision, but those methods usually involve scarring to some degree or another.

It is entirely possible that an untreated cyst will still leave some kind of a mark or a scar, so even if it is left alone, there is not guarantee that there won't be something left as evidence of it being there.

Sometimes acne cysts will persist even after an injection which is why they somtimes have to be drained and injected. The skill of the person doing the drainage and the patient's own body as determined by both genetic and enviornmental factors will determine how musch scarring will occur.

There is a type of acne known as acne congolbata (extreme cystic acne) where the cyst will reinfect and fill up with pus again even after it has been completely drained (note I stated completelydrained..this is part of the problem that bb89 aluded to, sometims not all of the infectous material is drained even by a physician and it will reinfect) as to why this happens, it is really not fully understood by the medical community.

It is important too, to recognize that there are also sebaceous cysts which are very common and that they are a totally different type of skin condition.

Bottom line: if you think you have a cystic acne pimple and want to do something about it, to see a good dermatologist and have it treated. Left untreated, this type of pimple will persist for many months before it finally heals.

Joe Zit

I get painful cystic acne once in a while. They hardly ever come to a head and I never pick them. But they take a long time to heal... 2 weeks atleast. Even though I dont pick they leave a mark on my skin, specially the cheeks. No deep scar, just a dark skin discoloration. Eventually these marks fade in around 2-3 months.

So what I have learnt from my experice is that cysts generally dont cause a deep scar as long as they are not picked. They just cause hyperpigmentation which fades with time.

Edited by acneVictimFor12Yrs

It depends on your skin type as to wheyjer you will scar or not.

I've suffered from cysts and was always advised to leave them alone to avoud scarring, however, this wasn't the case.

I think the scarring occurs from the skin being stretched from the swelling which happenes whether you leave it alone or not.

Best bet is to use things to try to keep the swelling to minimum (i had lots of success initially with hydrocortisone cream, and after that, preperation-H!!)