Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaveM

Acne.org Antibiotic Users

Hey everybody...

I thought because there were a lot of threads asking about how effective antibiotics are and so on we could have a topic where everyone who is on anti's could post how they are working and so on.

I'll start...

Antibiotic used: Doxycycline 50mg twice daily (100mg daily)

Time used: 7 Weeks now

Effects:

It took about 6 weeks for me to see any real effects from this antibiotic, however it did clear up some of the more severe acne on my face after two weeks... It got rid of a giant cyst on my cheek after two weeks which was good.

This week I have noticed considerable improvement in my condition, my bacne is almost clear (from a severe case) and my facial acne is much smaller and less inflamed.

Side Effects:

I havent had any side effects.

It can be annoying though taking it on an empty stomach because you cant eat for a few hours <_< (I know you dont _have_ to do this with doxy but i figure it will be absorbed better if i do)...

This is a good idea biggrin.gif

Antibiotic used: Tetracycline - (Lymecycline), once daily

Time used: Coming up for 11 weeks

Effects: After about 4 weeks spots which would usually stay angry and inflamed seemed to go away more quickly, and stay small. After 8 weeks, only the occasional new spot which actually gets inflamed (I've only had two), and a big reduction in new spots, especially on the T- Zone. I never had bad bacne, but there has not been a noticeable spot there since around 10 weeks on Tetra.

Side Effects: Only got a mild stomach cramp on the first 4 or so days of taking Tetracycline, but still get stomach grumbling just after taking the pill (but this could also be because I haven't eaten for two hours previously :mrgreen:)

They taste a bit gross if you keep them in your mouth for too long as well, but apart from that, all pretty good smile.gif

Antibiotic used: keflex 750mg./day

time used: 8 weeks

effects: After six weeks acne started to dissappear and stop coming. Now one small ones that go away quick. less inflamation too.

side effects: none

Tetracycline:

Effects - After about, it kept me absoluteley pimple free, no cysts, no whiteheads, no blackheads, clear as ever, for a good year, as i continued to take it. However, it did nothing for my oily skin, so i was pimple free but still greasy as ever. Soon, the acne started coming back as i got off the tetra, went back on it, and didnt see the same success.

Side Effects - occasional stomach cramps.

Doxycycline - After about 6 weeks, i saw minor help, reduce in cysts, still got small zits tho, and my skin was still greasy.

Minocycline- After about 5 weeks, saw improvement in no cysts, but still got smaller zits, and was still greasy.

That brings me to now, i have an appt in a few days to see my derm again, and hopefully hell prescribe accutane, and get rid of the oil and acne for good?

Anitbiotic:

100mg of doxycycline 2x a day for 8 weeks.

Effects:

Noticed imporvement after 2 weeks. I also am using a face wash with sulfur and sodium sulfacetimide and I spot treat with benzaclin so it's hard to say which factor has made the most difference. Last few weeks I don't break out much anymore. Maybe 2 new ones a week and always little ones that go away quickly.

Side effects:

I get pretty bad stomach aches almost every time I take the pills.

Additional notes:

My red marks are really bad and they have not faded at all in the last 6-8 weeks. Not sure if the meds are slowing down the healing process or if my skin just sucks at healing. I plan on asking my derm to put me on retin a in order to help with red marks. I am also considering IPL (intense pulsed light) to help fade red marks but I would have to go off doxy in order to do this because of the photosensitivity.

Weapon of choice: Minocycline

Length of duration: 8 weeks and counting

Effects: Took about 6-7 weeks before I noticed anything, and the effects are still gradually getting better compared to when I began.. Still getting zits here and there (like today I got one on my chin), but it is less than before and less painful.. face is still a little oily though

Will be taking it for 4 more weeks and then see my derm for the next step either to prolong use or switch to something..

Side Effects: None to date.

Antibiotic used: Oxytetracycline 250mg (two tablets, twice a day)

Time used: About 6 or 7 months, I think.

Effects: Can't remember how long it took to take effect, but I can remember I was looking really clear about 2 months in. Since then, the acne's 'fluctuated' a bit, I've suffered a few bad breakouts, including cystic breakouts, but have definitely noticed an improvement on a 'good' day. At the moment things are looking good, really clear. I think a lot of the effect can be enhanced with things like controlling your diet and limiting yourself eating certain things, and combined with a good cleanser.

Side effects: Nothing internal that I can remember, unlike when I was taking erythromycin, which gave me stomach upset. Face is red in areas where acne has never really been specifically, but also in the same 'zone' where a lot of spots were previously. Hopefully this will subside when I stop taking the antibiotic.

I've been on tetrecycline for about six weeks now, with no side affects, two pills a day. The packet I've got says 250mg on it and there is fourteen pills in it, surely I'm not taking 500mg a day?! I've continued to get about maybe four new small spots a week but last week out of the blue I got about ten new spots in one night, they are only starting to go away. I also take some pro biotics like actimel, to "top up my good bacteria".

I am on doxycycline (DORYX) 100mg 2 times daily. I do this in combination with sulphur/sodium wash and topical differin at night and topical clindamycin in morning. I am almost crystal clear. I have one or two superfical zits hanging around, but nothing major and redmarks are clearing up too..My complexion is slowly restoring itself...

Smoothbeamin... B)

Minocycline

total duration: 1 year

cleared be up 100% within 3 months. Lost effectivness after about a year.

no side effects or anything, although i found that drinking alcohol decresed its effectivness

tetracycline

total duration: 1 and half years

never really cleared me up 100, best was probably 85%-90%

lost effectivness after about a year...(again)

no side effects.

Erythmocyclin

currently taking this, on month 3, noticably clearer. although still getting the occasional little spot, but massive reduction in Cysts. Bacne also much imporved.

no side effects.

hopefully when this looses effectiveness i'l have my acne under control or will have grown out of it. rolleyes.gif