Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazy09

My Accutane Journey (with pictures)-DONE! Dealing With the Aftermath

So my dermatologist decided to give up on me and has sent forth for me to be put on Accutane. I'm really scared - I don't want a bad break out or any scary side effects :( I asked her about the bad break out and whatnot and she said that usually people's skin are predictable and only 10% of the people prescribed Accutane get a bad initial break out. She said she was going to put me on a low dose to avoid it, but I'm really scared.

My acne is mainly just on the chin and cheek area. Nothing on my forehead or nose or the cheeks that are right beside my nose. My dermatologist said my acne is cystic even though I'm not sure what that means because I thought cysts were really big and I usually just get kind of small pimples that I pop (I always pick :rolleyes:) and leave red marks that are even bigger >:(

Anyway, I'm having to wait 30 days for the whole iPledge shabang.. I don't like it :naughty: I still need to get blood tests and go to the gyno to get everything through.

In any case, here's what I look like right now.. ughhhh.

post-11688-1269852489_thumb.jpg

full face

post-11688-1269852520_thumb.jpg

left side (i think i cant remember which one i uploaded first)

post-11688-1269852538_thumb.jpg

not a happy camper :/

post-11688-1269852489_thumb.jpg

post-11688-1269852520_thumb.jpg

post-11688-1269852538_thumb.jpg

Edited by crazy09

Hey!

I just wanted to say Hi! and mention a couple things that I hope will help! Don't be scared it will be ok! and if your really not comfortable taking Accutane you should really tell your derm and maybe see if there's something else you could try first. It took me a good year to talk myself into Accutane. My derm suggested it every few months but I really wanted to make sure I exhausted all my other options first! I also made sure I did A LOT of research on the drug. I think it's important to see/read some of the good and bad stories so you can get a good idea of what most people expect.

When I did finally decide to take Accutane my derm told me most people don't get an IB and to expet no more side effects than dry lips and skin. Although he meant well, after doing a lot of research and reading a lot of the Accutane logs here I had different expectations.

I found from reading that most people experience an Initial Breakout (IB), really I think at least 80% of the people keeping logs have some kind of purging of their skin. Also most people had dry skin and lips like my derm mentioned but I also heard of a few other common side effects. Such as a bit of eczema (espeically in the winter months), and a bit of joint pain.

But what was great was there are really easy regimens you can stick to that make all these side effects really easy on you and not a big deal. I mean the IB you kind of have to accept for the first bit. But the dry sking and lips just need constant moisturizing, the eczema too! and taking all your vitamines (especially glucosamine) helps with the joint pain and making sure your healthy!

I hope that helps a bit! OH! and cysts don't always have to be big. My acne started to turn cystic (well and I got engaged and didn't want to look like crap at my wedding) and thats why I finally decided on Accutane. But my cysts weren't big they were bumps under or just on the surface of the skin that didn't go away for literally MONTHS at a time. Sometimes stuff could come out of them and other times they just sat and were red and annoying :) so there's a lot of different types!

Good luck and let us know how your doing and what you decide to do!

and don't worry :)

I've exhausted my resources with my dermatologist :( I've taken quite a few antibiotics, topical medications and face washes and it just comes back. I'm currently on Bactrim DS again and am taking Spironolactone. She said that since we tried both ways of combating acne (bacterial and hormonal) that I need to just go on Accutane and get it over with. :(

I'm just scared that since I don't get acne (I only have a few clogged pores on my forehead) really anywhere besides my cheeks and chin that I will break out EVERYWHERE during the initial break out on my face and have pimples and cysts coming out of every single pore. :/ I also don't really get the big cysts at all, so I'm really scared that I'm going to get those as well and I hate them. :(

Thank you for your reply and insight!

Also my little booklet mentioned something about psychosis and delusions and I'm really scared that Accutane will all of the sudden make me have bouts of delusions and psychosis. :( Has anyone experienced this?

Nope :) Dry lips. dry face that`s it. Also I got nose bleed one time and stomach pains for few days. And that`is it. I am much happier now :)

If you're really that scared and worried don't go through with it! or at least wait to see how you'd feel later on.

I'm on my Second Course right now... about twelve days in and I have yet to really breakout too bad, so fingers crossed I'm going to fall into the percentage that do not experience a bad IB.

I can tell you my first time on Accutane I couldn't even notice the IB... it just seemed like a regular breakout.

Hope everything works out and check out my log if you want.

All the talk of scary side effects caused me to really stress about taking Accutane. All I've really had to deal with, though, is dry skin and dry lips. It's been pretty smooth sailling-I didn't even have an IB.

Good luck!

@Thomsas5: thank you for your input!! :)

@Geeking: I know, but I just can't deal with my skin anymore. I've had just about enough. :\

@celticsbigthree: That's really good to hear. I will have to check our your log. I hope your second course goes well!

faithinhim: Phew, thanks. That makes me feel a lot better!

does anyone else feel like a fake when they have make up on? i am so confident with how i look whenever my acne is covered up.. but i feel like that's not how i really look since i do have ugly pimples. :(

I am hoping and praying that I will be able to make it to a gynecology appointment in time before my dermatologist appointment. Everywhere seems to be booked, so I am trying my school health center. cross your fingers ! :unsure:

good news - i have an appointment just in time! :) yay can't wait.

my face is breaking ouuuut right now :\

I woke up to a pimple on my lip today. :\ Does anyone know how something as small as a lip pimples could have so much gunk in it?

Can anyone tell me what my initial break out might look like?

My initial breakouts were usually about as bad as a normal breakout for me. It's unlikely (at least in my experience) that you'll experience something worse than the usual. However, don't be surprised when you become clear, and then suddenly breakout again.

I woke up to a pimple on my lip today. :\ Does anyone know how something as small as a lip pimples could have so much gunk in it?

This is a mystery that no one has solved. It's probably best left unanswered (because I assume it has something to do with portals).

Does anyone know if glycolic acid makes you have an abundance of white heads? I usually never give them but now I have a plethora of them instead of regular nodular acne. I was thinking maybe it's because I've been using glycolic acid and it exfoliates everything away?

I don't think that anyone can say for sure what a breakout is going to look like. Hopefully you won't get one. I just started my 4th week of 40 mg a day, and just started to break out two days ago. It really sucks because my skin was doing pretty well up until then. Now it is disgusting, with dry, flaking skin all around my mouth and chin with explosions of tiny pimples all over my chin and sides of my mouth. I am not sure if this is a direct result of the accutane, or if it is because I stopped using my Duac topical gel. The good thing is that this breakout doesn't have me that upset because I know that it will get better. Remember that if you get the IB! It will not last forever... Now I am just rambling on...anyways good luck and lets hope for the best!

Hey

I've found that alot of ppl in their first month ask "is this the initial break out" A LOT. I think most ppl end up breaking out the same as they usually do but end up analyzing their faces like crazy looking for any changes the accutane is causing. I don't know if I ever had an IB but my skin did purge itself for the first two months of my course. I mean it was no worse then the breakouts I was getting before tane but my skin was not like the lucky ppl's who clear up immediately.

I didn't get a lot of cysts I actually found I got white heads but instead of being very "gunky" the insides were much more soid and less oily and the broke and healed A LOT faster then usual. At the same time the skint one around the actives really improved. So I was able to really just conceal the spots I had.

Just make sure you're going to be willing to give it time! I didn't start improving until the end of the third month I was on tane and there was a point around the beg of the third month where I was very very frustrated and thought tane was never going to work. But I persisted and got better.

As for the delusions, I've never realy heard of ppl experiencing the psychosis the package mentions. It's like how the birth control pill warns against blood clots, there's a very very small percentage of ppl who are already prone and at high risk due to life style who it can happen too. but 99.9% of ppl don't experience it. So don't worry!

Aside from that... yes makeup sucks now :) even on the accutane, I'm getting more and mroe clear and my biggest issue now is just red healing spots and I feel like I shouldn't have to wear makeup but I do anyways bc I'm so self-conscious even of a tean red speck :P so I agree I would love to go without the makeup :)

Hope you feel better about this stuff.

I don't think that anyone can say for sure what a breakout is going to look like. Hopefully you won't get one. I just started my 4th week of 40 mg a day, and just started to break out two days ago. It really sucks because my skin was doing pretty well up until then. Now it is disgusting, with dry, flaking skin all around my mouth and chin with explosions of tiny pimples all over my chin and sides of my mouth. I am not sure if this is a direct result of the accutane, or if it is because I stopped using my Duac topical gel. The good thing is that this breakout doesn't have me that upset because I know that it will get better. Remember that if you get the IB! It will not last forever... Now I am just rambling on...anyways good luck and lets hope for the best!

What kind of acne did you start off with? Hopefully you will clear up very soon. Do you have a log? I would like to check it out!! Thank you for your advice! :)

Hey

I've found that alot of ppl in their first month ask "is this the initial break out" A LOT. I think most ppl end up breaking out the same as they usually do but end up analyzing their faces like crazy looking for any changes the accutane is causing. I don't know if I ever had an IB but my skin did purge itself for the first two months of my course. I mean it was no worse then the breakouts I was getting before tane but my skin was not like the lucky ppl's who clear up immediately.

I didn't get a lot of cysts I actually found I got white heads but instead of being very "gunky" the insides were much more soid and less oily and the broke and healed A LOT faster then usual. At the same time the skint one around the actives really improved. So I was able to really just conceal the spots I had.

Just make sure you're going to be willing to give it time! I didn't start improving until the end of the third month I was on tane and there was a point around the beg of the third month where I was very very frustrated and thought tane was never going to work. But I persisted and got better.

As for the delusions, I've never realy heard of ppl experiencing the psychosis the package mentions. It's like how the birth control pill warns against blood clots, there's a very very small percentage of ppl who are already prone and at high risk due to life style who it can happen too. but 99.9% of ppl don't experience it. So don't worry!

Aside from that... yes makeup sucks now :) even on the accutane, I'm getting more and mroe clear and my biggest issue now is just red healing spots and I feel like I shouldn't have to wear makeup but I do anyways bc I'm so self-conscious even of a tean red speck :P so I agree I would love to go without the makeup :)

Hope you feel better about this stuff.

Thank you, you have helped so much on here! I guess I'll have to be patient - at least I'll have an excuse for having bad skin: I'm on Accutane! yay. Hyper pigmentation is the worst... I have a ton of that.. I wonder what you can do to clear it up faster while you're on Accutane?

I am about to start my accutane course this coming Monday. I was taking doxycycline and using aczone before my derm told me to stop using them immediately(which was a week ago/last monday) when we spoke about taking accutane. So, I am only using cetaphil at this time which I was already using. You might want to consider just using a simple cleanser and nothing else up until you start the accutane, my face actually had some positive results from it and you might be surprised with how your face reacts. This should also prepare you using a simplified routine as you shouldn't really be using any other acne type products while on accutane.

Edited by callmeamack

What kind of acne did you start off with? Hopefully you will clear up very soon. Do you have a log? I would like to check it out!! Thank you for your advice! :)

I started out with what i would say was moderate acne, but was very persistent (had constant pimples for 2 or 3 years). I am not sure what to call this, because i have no cysts (never had any), just a lot of small pimples with a few medium sized ones. I don't have a log because I didnt even know about logs until a few days ago after joining this site, so idk if i should start one or not...I can remember everything up until now so maybe I will start one

I am about to start my accutane course this coming Monday. I was taking doxycycline and using aczone before my derm told me to stop using themimmediately(which was a week ago/last monday) when we spoke about taking accutane. So, I am only using cetaphil at this time which I was already using. You might want to consider just using a simple cleanser and nothing else up until you start the accutane, my face actually had some positive results from it and you might be surprised with how your face reacts. This should also prepare you using a simplified routine as you shouldn't really be using any other acne type products while on accutane.

I have been using this aloe-vera based facewash instead of all the harsh chemicals I usually put on my face. I'm still breaking out though :( I don't know if I can be without my Bactrim for two weeks. I was off it for quite a few months (during and before college) and my acne got much worse until I got back on it. Whenever I use Cetaphil or CeraVe I break out too. I'm thinking it's because of my skin type right now, they're way too rich for my skin.. maybe when I'm on Accutane I'll be able to use them.

I started out with what i would say was moderate acne, but was very persistent (had constant pimples for 2 or 3 years). I am not sure what to call this, because i have no cysts (never had any), just a lot of small pimples with a few medium sized ones. I don't have a log because I didnt even know about logs until a few days ago after joining this site, so idk if i should start one or not...I can remember everything up until now so maybe I will start one

I think you should start a log!!!! :) Your acne kind of sounds like mine. Mine is just a lot of clogged pores (almost look like white heads.. and others are just skin-colored) and small pimples or white heads that I always end up popping and making them look way worse than they would ever be. It sucks. So I think mine's moderate too.

I think you should start a log!!!! :) Your acne kind of sounds like mine. Mine is just a lot of clogged pores (almost look like white heads.. and others are just skin-colored) and small pimples or white heads that I always end up popping and making them look way worse than they would ever be. It sucks. So I think mine's moderate too.

Yeah that sounds the same as mine...I think I will start one!

Yeah that sounds the same as mine...I think I will start one!

Yay!! I'll be looking for it!