Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is a very uplifting video and i think everyone here should watch it. It actually brought a few tears to my eyes. It really puts your life into perspective. It is people like this that i look up too and gives me the strength to carry on myself the days i feel really down about my life when dealing with acne or anything else that i b|tch and complain about.

Edited by JayQ

Wow, that video made my day. Thank you for sharing it! "you keep on concentrating on the things in life you wish you had or you wish you didn't have. And you forget what you do have." That was nice.

This thread is just win. It actually made me cry.

Edited by Kyza

This is a very uplifting video and i think everyone here should watch it. It actually brought a few tears to my eyes. It really puts your life into perspective. It is people like this that i look up too and gives me the strength to carry on myself the days i feel really down about my life when dealing with acne or anything else that i b|tch and complain about.

My aunt sent me that vid last year when I'd dropped out of college and was overall just at one of the lowest points of my life. It was good to watch again. He's so inspirational. Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

He is hilarious.. he's cool.. This video actually made me smile.. not because of his looks.. because he is happy... and he seem to love his life. ^_^Although, it made me sad on some part..when he said he wished he had arms for this.. that.. etc.'

Very inspiring video.

Edited by EddieE

Isn't he just the best? I would love to hear and see him at one of his conferences. That would be awesome. I have seen some other uplifting videos before, but this one actually brought tears to my eyes it was so touching! (I know im a wuss :P) I couldn't hold em back though lol.

It will def be in my favorites and every time my acne or anything else gets the best of me i will always think about this video and put myself back in check. Glad all of you that has watched it have liked it. I figured a lot of you all would like it and it would also help a lot of us out when we are feeling down about ourselves.

This video made me feel like a bitch for the way i feel about my situation. The truth is this guy would probably kill to have the problem we are all facing and we act like its the end of the world. This video was truly awesome man thanks for putting it up

This thread is just win.

That about sums it up. :)

thanks for posting. This guy is hilarious, positive, inspiring. It makes me wonder why I feel like it's easier to be negative. It sure doesn't make life easier- so why do I do it so much?

Thanks again- I love changing my perspective. :)

Ugh, I wish people here would understand that problems aren't relative. This guy has lived with this problem all his life; his mindset is shaped by it. People on this site who get acne have their entire lives thrown out from under their feet, out of nowhere. That's why it's so devastating.

It's the reason why the starving kid in Africa with flies on his face doesn't want to commit suicide, while the Japanese teenager who doesn't get into his top choice university does. But which problem would you say is worse?

PROBLEMS. ARE. NOT. RELATIVE.

/thread

Ugh, I wish people here would understand that problems aren't relative. This guy has lived with this problem all his life; his mindset is shaped by it. People on this site who get acne have their entire lives thrown out from under their feet, out of nowhere. That's why it's so devastating.

It's the reason why the starving kid in Africa with flies on his face doesn't want to commit suicide, while the Japanese teenager who doesn't get into his top choice university does. But which problem would you say is worse?

/thread

So you would rather be born with no arms and legs then? Just because he was born with it does not make his life easier. How can you sit there and say that acne is devastating and his situation is not? The video is not comparing relative problems, its comparing relative lifestyles and how we go about living them.

I can not believe you even asked the question which problem is worse? That just is ridiculous.

/thread

Ridiculous contention; this guy has had to live his life watching others enjoy that which he can but dream of. It is ignorant to assume his pain is less than ours simply because he's suffered from birth. If anything, his pain is more.

I agree however, that problems aren't relative. The psychological pain of living without arms or legs, a freak in the eyes of society, completely owns that of acne. We have the hope if it disappearing, we have the hope of a cure. The defense that our suffering is less than his because of longevity is illogical to say the least; suffering is suffering, irrespective of time.

That said, I believe the purpose of this thread is to show us that whilst we believe we're at rock bottom, we're wrong: we can sink a helluva lot further. We should all stop bitchin' about our comparatively superficial woes and be thankful for what we have.

Edited by IdioSyncrasy

Ridiculous contention; this guy has had to live his life watching others enjoy that which he can but dream of. It is ignorant to assume his pain is less than ours simply because he's suffered from birth. If anything, his pain is more.

I agree however, that problems aren't relative. The psychological pain of living without arms or legs, a freak in the eyes of society, completely owns that of acne. We have the hope if it disappearing, we have the hope of a cure. The defense that our suffering is less than his because of longevity is illogical to say the least; suffering is suffering, irrespective of time.

That said, I believe the purpose of this thread is to show us that whilst we believe we're at rock bottom, we're wrong: we can sink a helluva lot further. We should all stop bitchin' about our comparatively superficial woes and be thankful for what we have.

You cannot base the pain a person feels based on the 'magnitude' of his problem. Is having no arms/legs worse than having acne? Absolutely. But the pain is not worse. Which is what I was trying to prove with the example of the Africian kid and the Japanese teenager...

You cannot base the pain a person feels based on the 'magnitude' of his problem. Is having no arms/legs worse than having acne? Absolutely. But the pain is not worse. Which is what I was trying to prove with the example of the Africian kid and the Japanese teenager...

I think you are just missing the concept of the thread. This isn't a video comparing ones pain to another. I mean by saying what your basing it on, even losing a father, mother, daughter, son or anyone else in your immediate family at point in your life deals just as much emotional pain as any other. This video just portrays us of how fortunate we really are. You just said it yourself that having no arms and legs is worse than having acne didnt you? Here we are going into social withdrawl day in and day out thinking that we are at rock bottom, when he expresses to us that it is not about that. Its about who we really are and why we should live life to the fullest because there so much more to us than physical appearance.

It pretty much goes back to the old saying "its whats on the inside that counts," and how we rather judge ourselves on our actual physical appearance. He shows us that even with the worst physical standard or feature that it does not hold him back in life what so ever, that he is just as good or beautiful as anyone else that does have arms and legs and that is so very true. We live in a society today where physical appearance is how we are judged. Which is why it holds such a painful and emotional impact on all of us because we want that clear skin to fit in with society.

The african kid with flies in his face is not the only one suffering that condition. That is a whole country suffering. He/she is surrounded by others suffering the same problem. Just like us with acne, there are a lot of others around us (we may not see them day to day) but there are millions of others suffering the same problem and we judge ourselves by thinking we are the only ones or have it the worst. How many in the world are born with no arms and legs? I would be willing to be that it is probably under a 1000. Look at that ratio difference. Some foreign kid not being able to get in college? That is fixable, you can not be denied a college because of your race, period! Only reason would be academics, or finances, all of which can be resolved.

So for this guy born with it or not coming out into a society that we live in today stands out dramatically. Like i said how many others do you see in the country we live in, around the country or city without arms or legs? I have never seen one in my 29 years of existence in person. How many in my lifetime have i seen one with an acne condition? Thousands! As an african kid that lives in such a crisis in their country how many others he/she sees daily with the same condition and they will say everyday of their lives!

That is the big difference! It isn't about relative pain as you speak. It's about fitting into the view of society that we live into today. He shows us how we can do that, he shows us of how fortunate each and everyone of us really are. He is not saying that his pain was more or greater than that of another, he just is simply implying that we do not have to live our lives in such despair over conditions that deem not normal to others, for each and everyone of us are just as important as the other no matter the condition.

That was your original assumption; his was irrelevant due to longevity. I simply built up on that thought and used it for my own purposes. Besides, pain CAN be based on the magnitude of a problem. I believe that being set on fire hurts a helluva lot more than being doused in water. The example with the African kid and Japanese teen is largely answered by JayQ.

Edited by IdioSyncrasy