Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone :) glad to be here but unfortunately we are here for not so good reasons. Anyway heres my question. Ive recently started taking Vitamin A for my somewhat severe acne. I started a little over a week ago and was wondering when I will see results? Is it just like accutane where it will get worse before it gets better or am I just unlucky?

Thanks in advance

about 40,000 IUs a day

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Adverse reactions have been seen on doses of 15,000 IU a day. Recommended daily intake is only 3,000 IU.

Too much vitamin A is serious and potentially fatal. Please do not take doses over 3,000 IU. It's not the same as Accutane.

Hey everyone :) glad to be here but unfortunately we are here for not so good reasons. Anyway heres my question. Ive recently started taking Vitamin A for my somewhat severe acne. I started a little over a week ago and was wondering when I will see results? Is it just like accutane where it will get worse before it gets better or am I just unlucky?

Thanks in advance

Well Vitamin A is not exactly like Accutane because Accutane is a derivative of Vitamin A. They have similarities, but Accutane has been modified. Taking that much Vitamin A will cause some significant life threatening effects at high doses for a long time. What you will probably start to notice at first is dry skin and chapped lips, also probably some headaches as well. Now taking the dose you are taking in the short term usually wont hurt you significantly, but it will put a strain on you liver...so no drinking alcohol, lol! But when you start to continue that dose for around 6 months, then you are risking some severe health effects and possible liver damage. I would suggest that you talk to a dermatologist and ask about accutane, it would be a lot less risky than self-medicating on vitamin A. If you would rather go the natural way, then high doses of B5 have been rumored to be effective and it is water soluble, so it wont stay in your system unlike Vitamin A which is fat soluble and toxic in high doses. Good luck!

Ahh, its not quite the same as isotretinoin. I read a publication about vitamin a for acne. They found it does not clear up acne as well as isotretinoin but the side effects are much more dangerous

I read that 6000iu's were what is recommended daily for adults. My derm also suggested I take vitamin a, but not too long. I did 2 weeks of 16,000iu's. They were 8000 each, took them twice daily. After the two weeks, I went down to just one (8,000iu's) a day, and now I'm only doing it every other day. My acne was HORRIBLE. Painful cysts all the the side of my face. I don't know if the vitamin a was what helped or the doxycycline, but my cysts are gone. I have horrible red marks left, but using Dermablend my skin looks awsome, and I'm getting a peel next month. I've been on the doxy for about 6-7 weeks now, my derm wants to wean me off next month. So from my experience, I believe vitamin a helped, but don't take it for too long.

Isotretinoin and retinol are very closely related molecularly. But isotretinoin is more effective and retinol, in that quantity toxic - havent you seen what happens to ppl who eat polar bear liver?

Great thread. I think my skin is best when I take A, B-complex, Evening Primrose Oil and Pycnogenol on a faily regular basis. Regarding the A, I personally alternate one day 10,000 IU from cod liver oil and a couple days later I take 10,000 IU from beta carotene, and continue on alternating every couple of days. I agree with everyone who responded before me that 40,000 units in one day is way too high.