Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hittheswitch

I dont know what to do anymore, pretty much all hope lost

I dont know what to do anymore. I've had moderate / severe acne since i was 16 (im almost 21 now) and it has only gotten worse. I have been to three dermatologists and tried retin A, duac, and antibiotics. I started the regimen in November and after about two months I was perfectly clear, I added In AHA and that seemed to get rid of most of the large blackheads on my nose ( though I still had dozens of small ones)...but about a month ago I started breaking out with terrible cystic acne all over my chin, and it is hands down the worst breakout I have ever had in my life. It has been 3 weeks and I am still breaking out, and the area around my mouth and chin is so swollen it is painful to eat / talk. My face is now oily than I can ever remember, but at the same time extremely dry and flaky, even in places I dont use BP (like my eyebrows and my jawline)

I failed out of school last semester because I was too afraid to leave my house because of my bad skin and I lost my parents 10,000$. It seems like im going to fail out again this semester.

I dont know what to do. Its so bad that I cant leave the house even to buy food. I haven't seen any of my friends / gone out of my house to hang out or be with people in at least 4 months.

FML

Sounds like a tricky situation.

Is it possible that there's something you did, a habit you changed or an event that occurred when the breakout started, or a week or two before that?

Some people have reported significant purging after adding AHA to their Regimen. Maybe this is what is happening to you, too? It should not involve swelling, eating or speaking dificulties though. This makes me feel that you might be mildly allergic to something in the AHA lotion? A more severe allergy case would've manifested itself faster.

Maybe stopping AHA usage will make a difference? Afterall, the plain ol' Regimen did clear you once already.

Most importantly, do not let acne take control your life. No matter how bad a breakout, just go outside and do your daily life like you would ordinarily. If you let the emotional baggage build up inside you, it will very quickly turn against you, leading to self-doubt, lack of self-respect and depression. And that is one vicious pit to climb up from, because it keeps feeding on itself to make you feel even more miserable.

I agree with AKeshi.

I know from first hand what it is like to have a face full of zits and not want to set one foot outside the house. The regimen really helped me, and it seems that it was working for you too, until you added the AHA. Maybe eliminating that would help? I've been on the regimen for a little over a year now and my skin is doing pretty great. I get pimples here and there from time to time but I realize that it's usually because 1) I'm not moisturizing enough or 2) I'm too knackered to wash my face so fall asleep w/o washing my face. This is very VERY bad for my skin, I know, so I try to be really diligent about washing my face at night, even when all I want to do is go straight to bed. So when I do break out, I find that the best thing to do is to go back to the basics. Just plain old BP and Moisturizer for several days and my skin improves drastically. (I use Dan's products by the way).

And regardless of the condition of your skin, please try to make it to your classes. Not socializing, I understand. That can wait until you feel more confident to really put yourself out there. But school is so important, and 10,000 dollars is a lot of money....Just put on a cap and go to your classes and head back home when you're done. I actually did that for about a semester when my acne was at its worst...I had friends at school that actually thought I had transferred out.

I really hope everything works out for you. Actually I'm sure it will, as it did for me. Stay strong!

Its so bad that I cant leave the house even to buy food.

That is a vicious cycle. Goes like this:

When people respond to acne by hiding out, they can easily make things worse and extend a bad outbreak. Failing to get bright outdoor light exposure can make your acne more sensitive to diet.

IMHO. :D

I agree that it sounds like you have changed something...perhaps it is your diet? I recently decided to make my diet as natural as possible, and removed refined foods from my eating plan. Now, I'm not a total organic girl, but I do check food labels now for more natural, and less sodium, and fat contents. Fill your diet with lots of detoxifying vegetables, especially leafy greens, and fruits, and try to keep dairy to yogurt only. (Yogurt is great for the stomach and digestion.)

Although I do still have mild acne, I haven't been on the "regimen" for long, and mine is mainly hormonal, but maybe a detoxifying eating plan would help?

I am very conscious of my acne, especially since I am well out of my teens! I "have to" (not really I suppose, but I feel I have to) use concealer to hide my acne as well as scars before I go anywhere. But recently I have come to the realization that my life isn't all about my looks, and I need to stop beating myself up about what HUGE issues I see, because others barely notice. It's been difficult, but I've forced myself to go out some times without any concealers. We tend to beat ourselves up for things far more than others even notice a lot of the time.

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling the way you are about your face!!! However, I am sure your friends and family would much rather spend time with you, than have you absent. It would be good for you to be surrounded by people who love and support you, rather than locking yourself up and giving yourself too much time to think about the negative things in your life. It sounds like you need to have some fun to help you focus on something other than your face...the stress of thinking about it too much could also be making it worse!

Please try to see the blessings in your life to lift your spirits, and change your perspective.

Let's make sure everything is going right. http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

Did you start or stop any medications or perhaps birthcontrol? Makeup? Any source of irritation that wasn't there before?

And I agree with the others, try eliminating the AHA and let's see what happens. It seems like you were doing very well prior to adding it in. And be sure you are following the Regimen strictly.

Right now I'm just using BP and moisturizer and jojoba oil. I pulled an all nighter and skipped a day of the regimen about four weeks ago, but I've done that before and its only made me get 1-2 small spots, this time I've had about 12-20, with several of them (2-3 being cystic). the breakout is now in week 2 and I'm clear except for this one gigantic painful cyst on my chin. Its over an inch in diameter and the whole left side of my chin is swollen. It keeps getting worse, I'm taking advil to try to help with the swelling and pain but i'm not sure its doing anything.

I eat pretty healthy. 75% of what I eat is organic. I only eat meat 2-3 times a week. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables. I only drink water and natural fruit/vegetable juices (once a day usually with breakfast) I never eat fast food. I eat a lot of cheese but I dont think that's the culprit. I only use milk when I'm cooking. I also take a multivitamin split throughout the day. the only processed foods I eat regularly are pita chips and cereal, both of which have pretty decent ingredients.

and I always get at least 8-9 hours sleep, usually leaning towards 9.

what can i do to make this stupid cyst go away? its the worst one I've ever had, its constantly painful, even when I dont move my mouth.

:[

Edited by hittheswitch

If your cyst is that painful, it might be prudent to see a dermatologist or at least a family physician about it. There may be an infection or something other than standard acne going on?

Edited by reb_w

hey,

this is exactly what i'm going through right now. so i totally understand you. i've been on the regimen for around 2+ years now. it worked! my skin was totally clear during that 2 years. and somehow i started to break out again 1 month ago. at the beginning, i thought it was just a minor break out which i do encounter during that 2 years period, which will go away quickly anyways. i guess i was wrong. it became SO digusting that i didn't want to go to school. :( after skipping school for some time, i've decided to go back to school recently. and yeah, i feel like hope is gone too. :(

even though bp is not working for me anymore, i'm still using it day and night. on top of that, im dring 8+ cups of water everyday with vitamin C, B, and zinc and that's not working at all. recently i saw some good reviews on vitamin B5. i'm probably not going to consume 10g of B5 each day (at most 2-4g per day), but i am going to give it a try. i ordered it a few days ago and it's going to arrive next week.

i think it's very difficult to get rid of the cysts, but i remember i went to see the dermalogist a few years ago and he gave me these injections that would minimize the size of the cysts. (though it was quite expensive) and i had also went for a laser treatment to get rid of a few cysts in the past. so if you are very desperate, you may consider those expensive treatments. :( but i think it's more wise for you to prevent new cysts than to remove the old ones. stay postitive! that would help to clear your face. and don't worry, you're not alone. we'll get through this together!

I had acne similar to what you described. I used Accutane in high school and it cleared up my skin. Please be warned, Accutane side-effect is depression. I was a mess - I had horrifying skin and dealt with terrible depression as a side-effect of both the medicine and looking so terrible... but 5 months later - my skin was smooth. Within one year, my skin was clear, no redness, no zits, no OIL. Accutane "kills" the oil glands below your skin.

Please ask your dermatologist. Please be aware of the depression side-effect!

My heart goes out to you...

I'm soo sorry..i know how you feel though. I'm soo fed up with acne and no matter how much i try to not let it take over my life, sometimes its hard to just like...not want to rip your face off lol

but if i were u i'd definitely stop using the AHA and see what happens...i tried using that for a while and it made my face really red and i broke out worse...maybe it was just bringing everything up but it was awful and im not going to risk using it again.

im on the BP regime and so far my face still looks worse than it has my whole life...I guess its just a matter of patience..ughh

If you really want to get rid of your acne, go on accutane. People talk about all these side-effects, but i've only got minor back pain and chapped lips. Better than acne though :P I've cleared 75% of my acne from the first month alone. GL!

Edited by xenoxide142

I'd say stick with it. If you think you have it bad check out that video. I thought I had it bad but after seeing this, it makes me look like a wimp. That kid goes to SCHOOL with that acne, how do you think it feels for him? I know it can hurt your confidence levels but who the hell cares about the others. Your acne isnt going to disappear overnight, so suck it up and barrel on through. Commitment and hard work is what gets you successful results.

I'd say stick with it. If you think you have it bad check out that video. I thought I had it bad but after seeing this, it makes me look like a wimp. That kid goes to SCHOOL with that acne, how do you think it feels for him? I know it can hurt your confidence levels but who the hell cares about the others. Your acne isnt going to disappear overnight, so suck it up and barrel on through. Commitment and hard work is what gets you successful results.

If i looked like that I would probably kill myself.

:/

Well, from what I have been reading from multiple posts there are a lot of people on the regimen that report it stops working....I hope this isn't true because the shipping for this stuff is pretty expensive :wacko:

I also wouldn't want my skin to go back to "Yuck!" after two years. I'm VERY self-concious. I hate looking in the mirror and always wish my skin looked like Amanda Bynes!

Hope you figure out what's goin on! :shifty:

Well, from what I have been reading from multiple posts there are a lot of people on the regimen that report it stops working....I hope this isn't true because the shipping for this stuff is pretty expensive :wacko:

I also wouldn't want my skin to go back to "Yuck!" after two years. I'm VERY self-concious. I hate looking in the mirror and always wish my skin looked like Amanda Bynes!

accutane have you tried it.

I had some of the worst acne of my life after the first 3, 4 or even 5 months on the Regimen had passed. I got a bunch of cysts on my chin, and I still have red marks from them (last summer). Those cysts were like the final attack from my acne, after they went away I don't think I've had a single zit on that chin (been on the Regimen for like 1 year and 3 months now). I think unpredictable shit happens sometimes. Everyone can't be "made for the Regimen" like Dan, unfortunately. I hope you stick to it, I honestly think you'll clear up again if you just don't quit. It's so tough when you feel so hopeless and can't predict the future, but you'll be so happy you didn't give up. Just think of it as a terrible, terrible phase you have to go through before you clear up "forever".

I tried to write something encouraging to this dude a while ago, maybe you wanna read it...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Unbelievable-t263232.html

And as I always say, try dietary changes. I think Acne.org makes people think diet is somewhat unimportant which is a big, big, big mistake. So many folks have cleared up or drastically improved their skin by changing what they eat. The typical thing people do is to give up at least grains, dairy and sugar. I always recommend others to try the paleo diet, because I'm currently doing so myself. Some people see results after only a week.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Diet-isn-...ne-t222897.html -- check his pictures, for example. Pretty amazing stuff.

Edited by dirtbomb

accutane have you tried it.

No. But my guy-friend says that it's amazing... :rolleyes:

I dont know what to do anymore. I've had moderate / severe acne since i was 16 (im almost 21 now) and it has only gotten worse. I have been to three dermatologists and tried retin A, duac, and antibiotics. I started the regimen in November and after about two months I was perfectly clear, I added In AHA and that seemed to get rid of most of the large blackheads on my nose ( though I still had dozens of small ones)...but about a month ago I started breaking out with terrible cystic acne all over my chin, and it is hands down the worst breakout I have ever had in my life. It has been 3 weeks and I am still breaking out, and the area around my mouth and chin is so swollen it is painful to eat / talk. My face is now oily than I can ever remember, but at the same time extremely dry and flaky, even in places I dont use BP (like my eyebrows and my jawline)

I failed out of school last semester because I was too afraid to leave my house because of my bad skin and I lost my parents 10,000$. It seems like im going to fail out again this semester.

I dont know what to do. Its so bad that I cant leave the house even to buy food. I haven't seen any of my friends / gone out of my house to hang out or be with people in at least 4 months.

FML

i feel liek i'm in a similar boat i've trie all sorts of stuff like you, and now i'm started study again, i'm 22 and the stress has made the acne teeerrrible.

agh it's awful isn't it?

if only there was an ACTUAL cure for this stuff...we'd probably be happier and more confident people.

hope you're ok

A.