Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greentea101

Fatty food for Accutane

After reading many posting and logs. I found out that taking Accutane with fatty food help better absorbing Accutane.

Anyone have a good exemples of fatty food?

Edited by greentea101

A lot of people seem to mention eating peanut butter or drinking a glass of milk with their pill. Just something I've noticed.

Edited by sareliz

-Peanut butter (or any type of nut butter for that matter)

-Steak

-Avocado

-Anything deep fried, really

But peanut butter is still the best!

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Fat does not have to be unhealthy.

Extra virgin olive oil is one of the best sources of essentail fatty acids ad just so happens to be a great compliment to accutane dosing :)

Dairy: Yogurt milk cheese (unless you're lactose intolerant) :lol:

I wouldn't change your diet too much though unless all you eat is white rice. Find something you eat anyway and just have that when you take your Accutane.

What? I'm confused. I was just discussing me going on accutane this morning with my dermatologist and he said to NOT take it with a fatty meal.

That's frightening. He's completely wrong :/

From the medication guide that comes with my Claravis prescription:

Due to its high lipophilicity, oral absorption of isotretinoin is enhanced when given with a high-fat meal. In a crossover study, 74 healthy adult subjects received a single 80 mg oral dose (2 × 40 mg capsules) of isotretinoin under fasted and fed conditions. Both peak plasma concentration (Cmax) and the total exposure (AUC) of isotretinoin were more than doubled following a standardized high-fat meal when compared with isotretinoin given under fasted conditions (see Table 2 below). The observed elimination half-life was unchanged. This lack of change in half-life suggests that food increases the bioavailability of isotretinoin without altering its disposition. The time to peak concentration (Tmax) was also increased with food and may be related to a longer absorption phase. Therefore, isotretinoin capsules should always be taken with food (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION). Clinical studies have shown that there is no difference in the pharmacokinetics of isotretinoin between patients with nodular acne and healthy subjects with normal skin.

Okay now that I think about it it's possible he was talking about the antibiotics we was prescribing me, as in don't take that pill with a fatty meal, not the accutane. I don't really remember because we talked about both for a little while and I could have sworn he said that when referring to the accutane, but maybe it was the other.

Okay now that I think about it it's possible he was talking about the antibiotics we was prescribing me, as in don't take that pill with a fatty meal, not the accutane. I don't really remember because we talked about both for a little while and I could have sworn he said that when referring to the accutane, but maybe it was the other.

ok just please make sure you are taking it with a fatty meal! It would be a shame to waste a course of accutane just because you didn't eat the right foods.

ok just please make sure you are taking it with a fatty meal! It would be a shame to waste a course of accutane just because you didn't eat the right foods.

Fortunately for those of us with less than perfect diets, the normal human body isn't that great at nutrient timing / partitioning. The fatty meal you eat with your pill probably won't have any effect on the pill you took with the meal. That said, if you don't eat any fat for days on end, yes your ability to absorb the medication will be impacted.

Fortunately for those of us with less than perfect diets, the normal human body isn't that great at nutrient timing / partitioning. The fatty meal you eat with your pill probably won't have any effect on the pill you took with the meal. That said, if you don't eat any fat for days on end, yes your ability to absorb the medication will be impacted.

The study I referenced above, as well as my doctor and pharmacist, all emphasize that the timing is important: the medication should be taken with a fatty meal.

I'm trying to gain weight and I drink a 840 calorie shake twice a day.

3tbs of peanut butter

2 cups 2% milk

1tbs of honey

1/2 cup oatmeal

1tsp of olive oil

one scoop of whey protein powder

def. enough fat........ and accutane is def. working!

3tbs of peanut butter

2 cups 2% milk

1tbs of honey

1/2 cup oatmeal

1tsp of olive oil

whoa you don't break out from all that dairy?

I guess not..... I never really broke out from dairy, or maybe I just didn't know there was a relation. but regardless I notice when I have any type of pimple and I take my Accutane w/ the high fat drink it will either shrink or come to a white head literally over night. Or if i take it in the morning the same thing will happen in about 4-5 hours hours

The doctor who said not to take accutane with a fatty meal was perhaps referring to the tendency that this drug has to raise your triglycerides. It is true that accutane can cause damage if one is prone to high cholesterol or high triglycerides; however, it is equally true that vitamin A, and accutane as a vit A analog, is absorbed and stored in fat.

I take my accutane with fish oil capsules which provide the dual purpose of absorbing the accutane and fighting the EXTREME dryness. Its been going well so far :)

Day 100 is coming up!

The study I referenced above, as well as my doctor and pharmacist, all emphasize that the timing is important: the medication should be taken with a fatty meal.

Dude, the study you posted is compared with FASTED conditions. As in the rats in the control group weren't eating any food whatsoever. Your body does not digest the stuff you eat the second you eat it. In fact, you can be digesting the burger you ate two days ago today. The important part is that you eat fat everyday throughout the day, so that the accutane can be absorbed better. The doctor just tells you to eat it with a fatty meal because he doesn't feel like explaining this to you and knows that you need to eat fat at some point to absorb the medicine better.

3tbs of peanut butter

2 cups 2% milk

1tbs of honey

1/2 cup oatmeal

1tsp of olive oil

whoa you don't break out from all that dairy?

Dairy may break some folks out, but it doesn't effect everybody the same, just as one acne treatment won't work for another. It's so frustrating! It would be a lot easier if just one single thing could be a cure all, but that's the way acne rolls.

I bet I know what could stop acne in its tracks... :chuck:

Your body does not digest the stuff you eat the second you eat it. In fact, you can be digesting the burger you ate two days ago today. The important part is that you eat fat everyday throughout the day, so that the accutane can be absorbed better.

Honestly, I don't know enough about nutrition or the digestive process to know if that's true or not. I do know that my doctor and pharmacist have each repeatedly stressed that I consume some type of fat at the time I take the medication. The medication's literature backs this up. I prefer to be safe and follow those instructions. So far my accutane course has been going really well, I have been 100% clear for the last 3 months.

I am confused. I don't want to eat fatty foods because I don't wanna mess up my liver, but you guys say Roac is better absorbed with fat. What am I supposed to eat?

I am confused. I don't want to eat fatty foods because I don't wanna mess up my liver, but you guys say Roac is better absorbed with fat. What am I supposed to eat?

Um, fatty foods are not going to screw up your liver. It's actually remarkably difficult to screw up your liver, since, you know, it regenerates itself.