Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
miketomass

So what to do if nothing works? Read this

I´m going to tell you to do this as a last resource, but this should really be the first approach.Your mind.... it´s you mind that controls your body.

I think i was one of the first people mentioning this at acne.org. But now there is a link to VISUALIZATION where you see a description of the technique and the tests of people who have tried. Guess what, most experienced great success: http://www.acne.org/visualization.php

If you are struggling with acne for 5 years or more, you probably have a very negative mindset, you barely remember yourself with clear skin, and you don´t believe you will get clear skin anytime soon. Right?

Visualization works, and there is no pseudoscience behind it, sure some charlatans will strecth the rope, and say things like that mind power can make you fly, and then most people lose any faith in the mind as a possible way to cure.

Mind power can cure acne, there are some studies out there, and if you are lazy to do the search see the testemonials in the link above. Now my procedure:

Before going to sleep you will visualize for 15 minutes the healing process:

All these steps are important

1- Choose one part of your face you want to heal. Lef or right cheek, chin etc... You can choose all face at once, but it´s more difficult to picture the state of your skin. The goal is to see your face as it is right now, as nearly as you skin. So of course with less area you have to "memorize" less pimples.Obviously it´s not possible to remember every pimple you have.... but do your best.

2- Now visualize your acne healing, visualize your red pimples, becoming dryer, more of a pink/white color. And then disappearing.

3- Feel the emotion that this is working, feel that the next morning you will have less acne.

So 15 minutes have passed:

4- Stop visualizing. And think about something else. Girls, boys, what you are going to do the next day etc.. The thing is, you have to think of something else before falling asleep.

I discovered this, because I got my best improvements when one of my friends, called me at night, after i visualized... I don´t know why but it works better this way.

And be focus!! I can´t stress this enough, if you think too much of other stuff while visualizing your results won´t be so great

TRY THIS! It´s only 15 minutes a day. Athletes, and many successful people started using visualization, for increasing their performances. This is reall stuff.

Happy healing and post your results here!

Edited by miketomass

As I´ve expected no replies.... People are very skeptical about this.... It doesn´t hurt trying I´m not charging anything, so at least believe my good intentions :) (smiley with clear skin)

Hey I read your thread yesterday and although I didn't reply then, I have been trying this. I believe a positive attitude is key to curing acne, and although I've never tried this before your thread has convinced me, so thanks for this. I think people forget how much stress really does affect acne, and that's why they continue to break out. This method here is a good way of reliving stress and making you feel like your acne really will go away, so I also recommend people at least give this a shot. If your one of those people that have gone as far as to put urine on your face for a cure, then this certainly couldn't hurt to try.

Hey David, good sleep then, remember be focus.. and feel the emotion, and the skin healing.

Cohen I have no doubt this works. My acne cleared up as I visualized. For instance, I visualized the chin getting clear first, and pimples remained on the cheeks, then was the time of left cheek, and only remained pimples on the right an so on...

Of course there are factors that can impair your improvement, like diet etc..

If you guys do kind of a report here, every day you will feel more motivated to go on. And be sure you believe this works.

Good luck ;)

Of course, of course. Mind over acne. But, it's easier said than done. Most of us having given up hope, unfortunately. Has this method been successful for you?

Yes, otherwise I wouldn´t be posting here... I was adviced to use accutane, so my acne was starting to get serious.

Now if you gonna use it, stick to my instructions. This works but requires a little of skill. You have to visualize the healing as clearly as you can, and you have to be focus... If you think of other stuff too much it won´t work. Of course in 15 minutes many things will cross your mind... but do your best to not get distracted.

Placebo can't grow limbs on an amputee.

See I don't see this as just placebo. It is a method of reducing the stress and depression that comes with acne.

And I must say for me it has worked already, and I have been doing this for two nights now - I went to school today and thought about my acne only three times, which is a record for me.

i think to a certain level its true.

i was obsessed with my skin around 4 weeks ago, and then i bought a car, all my thoughts went into my car, i spent more time with it than in my house, and my skin got really good.

then along came a girl into my life, she was mind set number 2 which then became 1. she was all i thought about for ages. and then i started to stress about my apperence and forgot about my car etc and now she is out the picture and i think less of my car my skin has got worse.

its worse because ive picked it but i also think its becuase i started to think about it again

and oh my word when i was on holiday i ate and drank what i wanted when i wanted and my skin healed, and its probably because i didnt think about it or spent the day infront of a mirror.

haha this is awesome.

problem is though, doing this at night may help however isnt it just reminding yourself more of the problem?

surely somehow completely forgetting about it is betteR?

Edited by want2beme

Interesting comment...

I agree that positive thinking and relieving stress are both important for not only ridding acne, but good for your health in general. Now what you've written here seems like nothing more than meditation. Which again is fine ;) however I think it comes across as "think about acne going away and it will go away".

I think everyone here knows it's not that simple. You even say yourself that other factors impair improvement. So let's not kid ourselves OK.

Meditation, relieving stress and being poisitive are great, but they do not cure acne alone. If you are stating they do, well, then that sounds like pseudoscience to me.

Interesting comment...

I agree that positive thinking and relieving stress are both important for not only ridding acne, but good for your health in general. Now what you've written here seems like nothing more than meditation. Which again is fine ;) however I think it comes across as "think about acne going away and it will go away".

I think everyone here knows it's not that simple. You even say yourself that other factors impair improvement. So let's not kid ourselves OK.

Meditation, relieving stress and being poisitive are great, but they do not cure acne alone. If you are stating they do, well, then that sounds like pseudoscience to me.

Well I have no obligation to help you people, so the least you could do when I post here something that is proven to work is politeness , several dermatologists have tried this already, and you can see visualization category on acne.org to see the testimonial

Saying that it´s just thinking or wishing your acne to go away is just over simplifying this. And you didn´t prove a point with my "interesting comment". Of course physical factors are still to be accounted for, this isn´t magic. But your mental state could be a huge impairment to your healing, perhaps the biggest of all.

heeyyyy, i think im going to give this a try! thanks for posting it can only be beneficial for all of us

. a kind of think positive

Ha relax man, I wasn't being impolite. I even agreed with most of your post. Positive thinking does wonders, no doubt. Meditation is a great way to clear your mind and relieve stress.

What made me question you though was how you mentioned visualization is proven to work, based on studies (which you did not link to) and testimonials (which are anecdotes and are not proof unfortunately).

You also mentioned this worked for you. Did you document this time carefully? Do you have photos to show your progress, or before and after pictures at least? How long did it take to be clear? Did you make ANY other changes in your life during this time (relationships, moving, starting/graduating school, gain/lose a job)? What was your diet like? Did you use any topicals or take any supplements?

You see, I'm just trying to rule out other factors here, that is all. I would like to see some consistency with people's "visualization regimens".

I hope you can answer me and also link to these studies you mentioned. It would be fantastic if this was a legitimate cure! And the more specific information there is on this topic, the closer we can get to determining how effective this really is.

I by no means think that meditation or positive thinking are harmful though :)

Wow this is really interesting!

I'm just starting to think that there may be more out there than modern medicine to cure acne. Becuase I have been on every treatment under the sun, including accutane and i still have acne! And yet when i stay with my bf for a few days and dont sit in front of a mirror and cry like i do at home, my skin miraculously clears up! I understand stress is probably a factor but im starting to think that there i a more holistic approach to cure our skin than anitibiotics or accutane....

I'm gonna do this tonight Mike, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Whenever my skin has become a lot clearer, or looks like it is healing up, I get this weird occurance of thought. I almost think, but what if I stress and break out again. And then I will actually stress that the stressful thought I just had will induce stress hormones in my body causing acne. I think it's a form of self sabotage. My subconscious doesn't believe I am worthy of clear skin so it sabotages my healing. And I think this feeling of unworthyness comes from the years of feeling like crap as a teenager basically(mostly due to acne) *violins boo hoo*. But if I went from age 11 to 17 never feeling good about my physically appearance, being bullied at school because of it, obviously there was some psychological damage there. And I don't think until I heal my self esteem inside and start validating myself as a person inside, that my outside can heal.

Sorry for the long post, just my thoughts on negative manifestation in the subconscious. It's got to come out somewhere, if you have a defeatest attitude, why wouldn't your body start to give up on you?

As I´ve expected no replies.... People are very skeptical about this.... It doesn´t hurt trying I´m not charging anything, so at least believe my good intentions :) (smiley with clear skin)

Hi, Firstly I believe what you have written is true in that the methodology of visualisations can produce positive results. Ok now for secondly, I think the idea needs to be posted with just a liitle bit more understanding around how and why it might fail. This is actually really deep shit - why it doen't work straight up or after even years of help. Yes years.

Please understand that I am of the belief that your intentions are good and that it does take a level of courage to be putting things like you have done out there so to speak. It takes the risk to be vunerable to possible attack. Having said that, please try and be gentle with me if you choose to reply.

In a perfect world from a perfect upbringing and perfect people all around us - we would all be positive people. However its not quite like that as I'm sure most people already know. If you are Serena or Venus Williams and your father validates the fact that you will be the No 1 tennis player in the world from a very early age, and then repeats and repeats the same belief to you- it is likely to be so. Great golf, tennis, baseball etc etc players also visualise a perfect shot long before they hit the ball, and more often than not the shot is good.

But if you come from my family, where the parents were badly wounded from their childhood with little belief or hope instilled in themselves - it was near impossible to pass any other message on than the one that was passed on to them. I came from a very violent family and had acne from a young age and (hopefully people will understand) made the situation a whole lot worse by picking at every pustule I had, and then some. Squeezing blackheads made me feel clean and gave me some control over the only thing I thought I could have in my family - my skin. Now I am obviously not that little girl anymore but I have to deal with the fact that that was how it was and that was what I did to survive the trauma of it all. In the end like you are saying really - I had to take responsibility and start the road to healing me and my skin. I understand that not everyone came from my family but nonetheless for me to wake up one morning and start saying affirmations and doing visualisations of something very different to what I knew was almost impossible. Like, realistically theoretically proven to be so. It has taken me over 10 years of intense therapy to do something else - like take care of myself, and it didn't happen overnight. Seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years of relentless abuse take their toll and instilled in me the belief that I was not worth very much. To change is to firstly not blame me and be understanding towards me (not just intelectually, but emotionally) that that was the very very best that I could do and that I dont have to be sorry to anyone at all. I was only little. It took a long time but I've come a long long way since then. People need people to hear and understand (like this forum which I am honoured to be a part of in the short time I have been a member). Like you, I want to help and my contribution hopefully is to add to what you have posted - to explain that while it is undoubtedly not impossible to change the way things are through visualisations - it might not be so easy for some. Some self help methods like visualisations are done alone and when you are too hurt, like I was, you firstly need love, empathy, compassion and understanding of the situation before you can just visualise a better outcome. Others have been far more fortunate and have more self esteem and can begin at such a place before others are able to do so.

Lastly I admire your courage in what you posted.

Kindest regards, Ann-marie

To the above post, a very good and insightfull one!

I agree with you that its different for all people, but in some respects, the people who are worst off have the best chance of becoming better than everyone else.

People such as yourself, find it harder to become positive, but it doesnt mean you cant do it! All it takes is an open mind, once you manage to overcome the first steps, it becomes easier and easier, just believe in yourself. The mind is the most powerful thing we have, so much so that there are probably unlimited uses that we cannot control yet, but could with practice and this thread is one of them.

I am happy I have had to deal with spots, because even though I still have them I have built up self control and certain mindsets that I didnt have before, and I know for sure they will be useful throughout the rest of my life. Everyone with the right mindset can become some of the strongest people on the plannet, you just have to have an open mind, and the people who suceed are the ones who bounce back from hard times and eventually become the best.

I agree with this post, but I don't agree that you should just do 15 minutes a day before sleep. One should also try "walking" meditation where of course focus on where you are going, but your thoughts revolve around your body and soul, pick a certain part of your body, focus on it... also learn to truly release anger and stress, and to reflect on events in your life, not just mull them over and form a bias quickly drawn opinion, it will make everything in life more positive, help heal tons of wounds, and there is science behind stress. It can literally throw off hormones and brain patterns and create excess free radicals in your body which can cause serious damage to every bodily system.