Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rainbow Brite

Why is sugar an acne trigger for me?

I changed my diet a couple of months ago, which included limiting my carbs to 40g a day and cutting out ALL processed sugars. It didn't take long to notice that my adult acne (face and chest) was almost cured by the change. So now I'm trying to understand why. I read through this ridiculous site:

http://www.acneyoda.com

And then read Antony's great response to it in this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/The-Acne-...ml&p=535870

But I'm still a bit confused. Antony says that the liver is not the problem. But if it's not, then why does cutting out sugar eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) acne for me? It seems that there must be more to the story than oversensitive oil gland receptors. Can any of you shed some light on this mystery? I just want to understand my body's issue as well as possible so that I can help it as much as possible. I do plan to stay light on the sugar intake for the rest of my life, but surely there's more that I can do now that I know my main trigger.

It has to do with your overload liver and blood sugar levels

as well with the lymphatic system

focus on cleanse those and you might be able to tolerate to eat some suger and carbs here & there

Numerous reasons. But the biggest are that insulin is a master hormone that stimulates the other hormones such as those that lead to oily skin and acne. And elevated blood sugar and insulin are inflammatory which also affects acne in several ways. And both those things affect far more important things than acne. Your limiting them is one of the best decisions you ever made.

You can eat carbs and sugar, you just need to do it in low to moderate GL meals that don't spike blood sugar and insulin levels.

More info on how diet and lifestyle habits affect acne and what to do about it: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-t230714.html

Edited by alternativista

Sugar triggers acne by causing dramatic spikes in blood sugar, which in turn stimulates adrenal glands and increases the sebum production. Again, the more sebum your skin produces, the more clogged your pores become with dead skin cells and sebum plugs. As a result, acne proliferates.

Edited by essentialoils

Sugar triggers acne by causing dramatic spikes in blood sugar, which in turn stimulates adrenal glands and increases the sebum production. Again, the more sebum your skin produces, the more clogged your pores become with dead skin cells and sebum plugs. As a result, acne proliferates.

This is how I cleared my skin. It started as an accident too. But now I stick to it, and have for a few years now. I eat a higher fat very low carb diet. The moment I touch potato, rice, corn, pasta I break out. Cola is the worst though. I never liked the stuff, but once I was out, super thirsty and that's all the vending machine had. by the time I got home that night I counted over 7 pimples. O.O

I also wonder what the natural fats have done for me, my joints in my hands used to ache, my hair was brittle too. as if having ache on my face and parts of my body were bad enough. But after about a month of eating this way I felt much better, no aches. My skin feels moisturized and hair soft too. I also didn't notice any adverse effects with my strength.

Opposite effect of a low fat diet for me. My dad was given one to follow when I was a teenager for his high cholesterol. the whole house got purged of high fat food, like eggs, red meats, fatty veg. My acne exploded and he got spots again too, and really painful cysts on his back. I felt so bad for him. not to mention we all started feeling like crap. Even though my clothes got tight, I lost weight. I'm betting muscle mass. Needless to say, we didn't stick to it.

This is how I cleared my skin. It started as an accident too. But now I stick to it, and have for a few years now. I eat a higher fat very low carb diet. The moment I touch potato, rice, corn, pasta I break out. Cola is the worst though. I never liked the stuff, but once I was out, super thirsty and that's all the vending machine had. by the time I got home that night I counted over 7 pimples. O.O

I also wonder what the natural fats have done for me, my joints in my hands used to ache, my hair was brittle too. as if having ache on my face and parts of my body were bad enough. But after about a month of eating this way I felt much better, no aches. My skin feels moisturized and hair soft too. I also didn't notice any adverse effects with my strength.

Opposite effect of a low fat diet for me. My dad was given one to follow when I was a teenager for his high cholesterol. the whole house got purged of high fat food, like eggs, red meats, fatty veg. My acne exploded and he got spots again too, and really painful cysts on his back. I felt so bad for him. not to mention we all started feeling like crap. Even though my clothes got tight, I lost weight. I'm betting muscle mass. Needless to say, we didn't stick to it.

Yay! Fat saves the day!

Thank you all for the responses!

Numerous reasons. But the biggest are that insulin is a master hormone that stimulates the other hormones such as those that lead to oily skin and acne. And elevated blood sugar and insulin are inflammatory which also affects acne in several ways. And both those things affect far more important things than acne. Your limiting them is one of the best decisions you ever made.

You can eat carbs and sugar, you just need to do it in low to moderate GL meals that don't spike blood sugar and insulin levels.

More info on how diet and lifestyle habits affect acne and what to do about it: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-t230714.html