Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ticha

breakouts around nose and mouth

Hi,

my 14yr old daughter is breaking out terribly around her nose mouth, chin and top lip. They are very small and very red but there is so many of them. Some have little pus heads and she cannot seem to get a break from them. Her confidence is going quickly and she is sad.

I am new to this site and have just purchased Proactive which is making her red. It has a 2.5 % bp cleanser. then a 2.5% glycolic toner another 2.5% BP repairing lotion which is left on and finally a Salicica acid moisturiser. She has only been on it 4 days should we keep going or stop. Or use it every other day. As I said they may be small but there would be 30 just on her top lip.

Please help She has a fair slightly freckled skin

Hi,

my 14yr old daughter is breaking out terribly around her nose mouth, chin and top lip. They are very small and very red but there is so many of them. Some have little pus heads and she cannot seem to get a break from them. Her confidence is going quickly and she is sad.

I am new to this site and have just purchased Proactive which is making her red. It has a 2.5 % bp cleanser. then a 2.5% glycolic toner another 2.5% BP repairing lotion which is left on and finally a Salicica acid moisturiser. She has only been on it 4 days should we keep going or stop. Or use it every other day. As I said they may be small but there would be 30 just on her top lip.

Please help She has a fair slightly freckled skin

Hello! Welcome to acne.org! Breakouts that focus on the chin and around the mouth area tend to be related to hormones, which is primarily where my breakouts happen. I tried Proactiv a few years ago and it did nothing for me. In fact, it was too irritating and only broke me out more. It sounds like the products she is using are all too irritating, especially when being used in combination. Using both salicylic acid AND benzoyl peroxide is usually not recommended, as it causes too much irritation and drying, thus leading to more breakouts. If I were you, I'd tell her to discontinue the Proactiv and start on Dan's regimen, which is also much cheaper than Proactiv! All of the products used in Dan's regimen can be purchased OTC if you don't want to order from the website. I personally love his benzoyl peroxide, and it is MUCH cheaper than buying in the stores.

Many people are quite fond of Dan's acne regimen. It consists of using a gentle cleanser (non acne medicated), followed by applying 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and finally a moisturizing lotion that is oil free and non-comedogenic. I'd strongly consider this regimen for your daughter. Many people experience some redness and dryness in the beginning, but the irritation is much less than if you were to use salicyclic acid and benzoyl peroxide at the same time. Check out this link, http://www.acne.org/regimen.html which explains the regimen. Also check out the videos, they are very helpful!

Best of luck to her! :)