Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
undesireddisplayname

Acne occuring only around mouth and jaw.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but the search isn't the best. I've been lurking for a long time and finally decided to join.

Anyway, 99% of the acne I have is around my mouth (mustache, chin, around lips), and on my jaw line and lower cheek. I've often heard that this is caused by hormonal acne, but I tested my self for low stomach acid with HCL, and found that I had very low stomach acid (7-8 600mg capsules), and that my face cleared up 95% the first week.

What I want to know is, could my acne be caused by both? are they linked somehow? and if I were to treat these too underlying causes what type of diet and supplements would you advocate?

Oh and currently I'm taking zinc, fish oil, vitamin D and L-glutamine.

For the low stomach acid, if you take HCl for a long enough time, your stomach acid production supposedly returns to normal. Not too sure if that's true, though. Things that could help are eating cayenne and making sure to get enough exercise, both which stimulate acid production.

For hormonal balance, I'd recommend taking Borage or Primrose Oil which contain omega 6 GLA, especially since you're taking fish oil which can deplete GLA. If you are female and get PMS symptoms, these are likely to help those along with helping acne, and they can help male acne too!

As for diet, eat lots of greens and veggies, good fats like extra virgin olive and coconut oil, whole grains like brown rice and quinoa, and cut dairy and gluten if you haven't already. Alternatively, you could go on a hypoallergenic diet to see if food intolerances are causing your acne.

That is exactly the kind of acne I have! The top half of my face is as clear as it can be... Maybe I will figure out how to add a picture.

I wish I had some advice to offer, but I haven't found any solutions.. yet.

I am in the middle of laser treatments right now. In the last few weeks I have seen some hyperpigmentation spots become wayy lighter, and I think the acne near the sides of my mouth may actually be less?

but I have no way of knowing if its the laser, the post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation lightening cream, the tea and herbs im taking, the masks, the vitamins and supplements, the exercise, the consistent sunscreen use.. hahaha.

I will be watching this post!

How do you test your stomach acid and what would cause it to be low? Also, is it that the quantity is low or do you mean it is not acidic enough? This is interesting but I don't know much about this topic. I mean, how would it cause acne?

God, you could turn into a right hyperchondriac on this site! It seems acne has a million different causes! : ( No wonder it's so hard to treat.

I've got an app with a natural health practitioner next week, anyway, to discuss my hormone results, which are all over the place!

BTW, I thought the acne round the mouth link with hormones thing only applied to women. Are you sure, if you're a bloke, it's not folliculitis?

I guess it's true tho, that good health starts in the gut. Even if the hormones are askew, it could be caused by diet or abx screwing up the gut flora. And I've taken a LOT of different abx over the years!!!

Same for me. My acne lesions are all on chin and around and on lips constantly. No where else, except a minor one tht will pop up on my shoulder one or something. Have been banging my head and tryin to figure this mystery out forever.

Same for me. My acne lesions are all on chin and around and on lips constantly. No where else, except a minor one tht will pop up on my shoulder one or something. Have been banging my head and tryin to figure this mystery out forever.

Same here.. I generally get acne around mouth and jaw.. so frustrating.

I started drinking green smoothie ( Kale, spinach and collard ) and when I break out, it stays small..

Which I think green smoothie helps ^^ I am not going to stop drinking it.. even if I break out.. because I need to get used it.. :) I saw it takes two weeks to see improvement.

Edited by EddieE

i have a similar problem with acne around jaw and mouth

ive been told its hormonal, dans regimen didnt help it just made the spots i do get cystic

ive had improvement taking zinc (150 mg which is over the limit but ive been monitoring for signs of toxification and had nothing so il reduce after a month)

been taking the zinc for just over three weeks and im starting to see improvement, ive added betaine hydrochloric acid yesterday too because i think i have low stomach acid

i got told to up the dose with everymeal until you feel heartburn or stomach pain but im up to 8 pills now and feel nothing after a meal.

i havent had a bad breakout for a while but its hard to tell because of the mess my old acne has left on my face. Il keep you updated if youre interested

i have a similar problem with acne around jaw and mouth

ive been told its hormonal, dans regimen didnt help it just made the spots i do get cystic

ive had improvement taking zinc (150 mg which is over the limit but ive been monitoring for signs of toxification and had nothing so il reduce after a month)

been taking the zinc for just over three weeks and im starting to see improvement, ive added betaine hydrochloric acid yesterday too because i think i have low stomach acid

i got told to up the dose with everymeal until you feel heartburn or stomach pain but im up to 8 pills now and feel nothing after a meal.

i havent had a bad breakout for a while but its hard to tell because of the mess my old acne has left on my face. Il keep you updated if youre interested

I started drinking green smoothie a week ago, with a great improvement. This thing is awesome to control acne. We all different. It does not work for some people.

I used to have acne around my jaw, lips, and chin. This was the first round of my acne. Started around the age of 16-17 and eventually went away at about 19-20. I had changed my diet, started taking fish oil, and at the time was cleaning with Dan's stuff. However, I don't know that these things changed my acne for the better. I do think it was just a change of age. It slowly went away, but now my chin, lips, and jaw have no acne. I get the occasionally pimple maybe once every 3 months on my jaw or around my mustache, but almost never on my chin.

Perhaps I should make a topic like this for people who have acne on their cheeks. This is where I'm pretty much plagued.