Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NodFlenders

Hopefully these next 4 or so months fly by..

OK, so to cut a long story short, I'm 21 years of age and have been suffering from acne for little over a year now. Why oh why couldn't I get it when I was a teenager like everybody else!? Anyway, my acne was brought on by stress, supposedly. (I went through a bad spell. Depression and such) But yeah, I'd never really had so much as a spot until early last year. Not really knowing what to do I went out and bought a load of scrubs, wipes and creams. We all know why that's a Neddy no-no.

Fast forward many months and it's almost summer, I still have moderate acne and it's starting to effect my mood so off to my GP I go. He gives me some solution thing to apply to my face morning and night. It doesn't smell very pleasant and it dries out my face. I give up after about 2 weeks. Fast forward a few more months and it's almost my 21st birthday. It should be a time for jiving, but I'm too sad to go out. I rarely go out much now. I ended up leaving college too. No one was ever nasty to me or anything, I just felt like crap. I end up going to my GP again the following week and he gives me an antibiotic. 2 and a half months on that and we see a slight improvement but he thinks I should see a derm before scaring becomes an issue. 6 weeks later, (Busy as hell they are!) I go in and this derm suggests roaccutane. I feared this, but welcomed it too seeing as it was probably my best chance of getting clear for summer this year. I get my blood tests done and the following week, Tuesday 2nd, I am the proud owner of 2 months supply of accutane. 65mg a day for 4 months.

March 2nd - aka DAY 1: I get home at about 12:30pm and prepare myself some muffins with peanut butter. I take my dose at roughly 1pm. Nothing to report. There's maybe 2 cysts on my face, but they were drying out since yesterday. I have lots of red marks on both cheeks, a few on my chin and one or two on my forehead though. Had a headache before bed. Not sure if related to the accutane.

Day 2: Nothing to report.

Day 3: Skins feels a little tighter, looks a little better too, though I do have two whiteheads on my chinny chin chun. Feeling a little dry but not dry enough to break out the moisturiser. I looked redder too. Almost as if I sat out in the sun too long. I got invited to a 21st next month. Unless things improve drastically I'll be too embarrassed to go. I'll make it up to them in t3-4 months time though.

Day 4: Got a small whitehead on my top lip, right beneath my nose. It itches. The other ones are still there too. Skin is looking a little even redder, not much change. I had to use vaseline on my lips for the first time. They're getting pretty dry. Still yet to use the moisturiser but I think I'm getting close. I got BC2 today for my PS3. I was feeling a bit too irritated to enjoy it though.

That's it for now. I'd like to post a picture, but I don't want to be recognised. :shifty:

Quick question, I don't go out much now, but the weather is too nice to be sitting in doors, would I be OK just chilling in the garden or whatever. I'm scared I'll do more damage than good in hot weather. Maybe just wait for the chillier days.

hey just wanted to wish you luck!

re: the weather, dont be too scared to go outside. Be sure to wear a good suncreen like neutrogena with a high spf and reapply. It wont clog your pores and wear a hat too!

i hoep you go to that 21st that is coming up. I know acne can make you feel like crap but honestly your friends dont care about it, they just want to hang out with you! think of it this way, would you give a crap if a close friend of yours had acne? probably not right? because they're your friend and you love them. I know acne hurts your self esteem, but try and have some fun while you're waiting for accutane to work its magic - then 4 months really will fly by!

Day 5: Ewww, those whiteheads I mention earlier? They sort of dried out during the night and went all orange and crusty. :doh: I managed to wipe them away in the bath, which was good, but I also started peeling pretty bad, especially my nose so I had to break out the moisturiser. Skin is getting pretty red and feeling tight. God, I really am dreading this next couple of months. I've got a new spot near my jaw. I'm feeling fine I guess, I'm pleased I seem to be feeling the effects just 5 days in, not sure if this is normal or what, but it can't be bad. I'm trying to remain super positive and telling myself maybe I wont get an initial breakout and that I'll be clear quicker than imagined!!!!

But yeah..probably not!

hey just wanted to wish you luck!

re: the weather, dont be too scared to go outside. Be sure to wear a good suncreen like neutrogena with a high spf and reapply. It wont clog your pores and wear a hat too!

i hoep you go to that 21st that is coming up. I know acne can make you feel like crap but honestly your friends dont care about it, they just want to hang out with you! think of it this way, would you give a crap if a close friend of yours had acne? probably not right? because they're your friend and you love them. I know acne hurts your self esteem, but try and have some fun while you're waiting for accutane to work its magic - then 4 months really will fly by!

I just took my 9th dose about two hours ago. I'm confused. Any side-effects I had have died down a tad. My lips aren't as dry and I only ever have to vaseline them suckers up once a day, if that. My nose is runny. And perhaps strangest of all, the redness in my cheeks seems to be looking slightly less red. Is this normal? I do moisturise morning and night now, maybe that's why?

I'm a little disappointed in truth, when I started to see side-effects within the first few days I was thinking "Holy shit, that was quick! I'll be clear in no time!" Other than that my mood is fine I suppose.

I've have had some new whiteheads pop up though. One on my nostril, one beneath my nose and the rest on my chin. Horrible place to be getting them.

Took my 12th pills this afternoon with a glass of milk because we were out of peanut butter. I haven't drank milk in a long, long time. Other than the peanut butter, I'm eating my usual healthy meals as well as as much fruit and veg as I can stomach. They replaced sweets for me about 2 years ago. Closest thing I have to a snack now is a muffin or breakfast bar. Watch me pig out the moment I get clear. :/

Anyway, still barely any side effects to speak of. I wake up with dry-ish lips, but it's no biggie. Every time I look in the mirror in the morning I think I see an improvement, my mum says she sees it too, but I'm not letting myself believe it because I'll feel even worse when/if I get the dreaded IB. I have got one new spot, well it's more of a bee sting really, but it's not bothering me, it doesn't look that bad. On a night it takes forever for me to doze off, but during the day I'm yawning my head off. Strange.

Edited by NodFlenders

Good luck on Accutane. I've got an appointment on the 6th of April. I hope I can get Accutane, I'm kinda scared he won't give me Accutane because he is a really good derm in the Dallas Fort Worth area and he might try some of his other techniques before he moves on to accutane but I can't wait that long, I have a lot of plans for this summer and I wanna be somewhat more clear by then. But again if he's a really good doctor he might have lots of patients and he might just give me accutane to seal the deal and get on with his life. It just depends on how dedicated he is I guess. You thinking about uploading pics?

Took my 16th dose today..I think. I've lost count!

I think my skin looks worse today. Pretty discouraging after I seemed to be improving. Still barely any facial dryness mind. I'm moisturising regardless and my lips are getting drier though. Got two new white-heads on my chin. Really noticeable ones. Though I had a few of these during my first week and they disappeared rather quickly. I've felt a slight pain in my leg. Nothing too bad and I'm not even sure if it's related to the tane. Though I think the tiredness is. I've found myself feeling tired even if I get 10-11 hours sleep. I've resisted temptation to go straight back to bed after taking the pills. It isn't so bad though, it just means there's less hours to worry about my acne!

I think I'm going to ring my derm this time next week if I haven't started to experience any major side-effects. :think: I must be the only man alive who complains about NOT getting side-effects.

hey nod!

glad to hear you are doing well! i also have been indulging in the peanut butter every morning when i take my pill. so yummy : )

20 days in and I've had a few more whiteheads pop up, pretty small ones though. The ones I mentioned in my last post have dried up and will soon disappear. My chin and nose are still the only areas I'm experiencing dryness. Lips are sometimes quite dry, other times they're not, which is confusing. My hair is pretty dry and I haven't washed it in 4 days! :whistle: I'm still experiencing major tiredness, but I'd take that over the other side effects.

Not sure what the hell is going on really. Sometimes I can't help but think things are barely working and I'll be on for longer than 4 months, which would suck so much. I missed out on summer last year due to feeling shitty about my acne, I really don't want to miss it this year.

you should try almond butter! i just discovered it and i really like it! its has more fat, and is a bit healthier.

3 weeks in! :dance: Hopefully only 13 more to go! It seems so near, yet so incredibly far.

Still dozens of red marks on each cheek, but today they looked like they had faded a tad. Maybe it's just my imagination. The minor outbreak on my chin lives on. The blackheads on and around my nose are more noticeable now and I can feel them when I wash my face, hopefully this means they're coming to the surface and preparing to fudge off. Been having bad dreams lately, but not bad enough to stop me from sleeping a hell of a lot.

Oh well, things can only get better from here, right? It's usually the second or third month when people see major results I hears.

Edited by NodFlenders

4 weeks down, only 12 more left if things go as planned!

I have one big gruesome looking cyst thing on my chin and two little whiteheads, but still about a dozen red marks on each cheek. I'm pretty sure they've faded a little this past week, but there's certainly a long way to go. The blackheads on my nose and cheeks are nearly gone! My nose is about 90% clear and my cheeks about 80%. My nose feels so smooth, it's great. I've been feeling a slight nagging pain in my left knee, but nothing to really complain about. I'm pretty sure I've got eczema below/behind my ear and on my left arm. I wish I could scratch it. :< There's little patches of dryness on both arms too. Face feels tight, but rarely all that dry bar my chin and sometimes, my nose.

I'm due another blood test in 20 days I think it is, then a meeting with the derm shortly after. When we originally met, he said by out second meeting, we should be seeing really progress. Here's hoping!

42 days in. All the cysts have gone and I haven't had a new spot since my last update. The red marks have faded a bit too, but still quite noticeable. I've actually stopped moisturising because a)My skin looks better without it and b)I have barely any dryness anyway. Do you think there's actually any need to moisturise if you don't feel dry? Opinions please.

Nothing else really to report. So far I've been a very lucky boy in terms of side effects.

Just got back from seeing my derm. He's very pleased with my progress (I think it's OK) and he says when I next see him on the 15 of June, he expects me to be as good as clear.

I asked him about any vitamins to take and he said I shouldn't bother as my diet is good enough that I don't need them.

Basically though, no new cysts in weeks, skin seems to be improving and I'm not far from the glorious third month! I still wont be happy until I'm 90% clear, but hey, things are going good.

Thanks, Miss :)

So I just had my first actual shave since starting accutane. I can't grow facial hair to save my life and I usually just use a trimmer, but anyway, I was surprised how clear I was underneath the fuzz. The rest of my face hasn't changed much. Still looking quite crappy. I've had a few little spots pop up since my last update. Mostly around the chin, as well as a biggish one to the right of my nose. My arms have lots of little dry patches all over them. Not too sexy. The rest of the blackheads I had are pushing to the surface, they'll be gone soon thank god.

June is such a big month, with birthdays, gigs and festivals, I really hope I'm well on my way to been clear by then. It's a little under 5 away, so time might be on my side, but I dunno, knowing my luck it'll be another month of envying everyone having fun in the sun and drinking large quantities of booze.

So this is my 69th day (I think) and I gotta say, this past week or so, every morning I've woke up my skin looks like it has improved. I have two little white heads, but everything else is fading nicely. I've started using cetaphil too. I don't want to jinx anything, but if things continue, I really think I'll be looking pretty great come June. Which was my original wish. :pray:

There's light at the end of the tunnel my friends.

Thanks, dude. Good luck on your course.

Anyway, I think my happiness was a bit premature, I'm back to feeling down about my skin. I'm having doubts 4 months is going to do it and I'm certain I wont have made a big enough improvement by early June like I had hoped. :boohoo:

I feel like a piece of shit complaining, because my skin basically resembles that of someone who is on the road to recovery from cystic acne (i.e. lots and lots of red marks) . People with cystic acne would probably kill to have my skin in its current state. But seriously, after almost a year and a half of cutting out bad foods, minimising my booze intake, drinking nothing but water, taking extra special care of my skin, trying topicals, antibiotics and all that shit, I'm at the end of my tether.

I could really do with more sunlight and fresh air in general. I'm sure it would help, but I feel self-concious in my own back garden. Plus I'm scared of burning.

Anyway, sorry to be a Negative Nancy, but I'm so fed up of this drug. Hope you guys are faring better.

Ugh, I wish I knew accutane didn't really help with healing redmarks before starting it. I probably wouldn't even have agreed to it. I've got more cysts in 2.5 months than I have in all my life, but apparently my redmarks could be around longer than that after finishing accutane?

hey :)

I don't read many blogs (let alone reply to any!) but I thought I might as well this time, seeing as I'm in such a similar situation to you :D

I'm 21 myself- developed very mild acne in my teens but it really came in to force when I was 19. Anyways I was given countless topicals and antibiotics- none of which worked (although I was perhaps a bit hasty when chucking them in the bin!). It's more or less ruined my social life, but I'm trying to make the most of my time now (getting in shape, reading more, drawing more!)

Anyhoo yeah- other than those things, redmarks. I am pale skinned, and red marks for me are a NIGHTMARE. I started accutane maybe 2 weeks before you, and recently had my dose increased to 60mg (so had a bit of an initial breakout). Anyhoo, I haven't had more than 4-5 actives over the last month (generally these are small too), but my face is covered in red marks. Literally covered... ok not literally- but my cheeks are covered. I've had these for more or less a year. From the little I know, I would say that overall accutane will beneift your red marks- as it's preventing spots from forming in the first place, no red marks can be left behind! Having said that, it does dry out the skin- which I guess(IE assume using my non-existent dermatology credentials!) could slow down the healing process.

I bought some emu oil but am terrified to try it at the moment :D

One thing you COULD consider (and don't shoot me for this!) is a tinted moisturiser. I dabbled a bit with this when my acne started to get worse, and have found one that looks natural on me and doesnt clog my pores- it's dead easy to apply too. Something to consider anyhoo, helps give me the confidence to go out more :)

Oh and snacks wise- popcorn (home made and air-popped) and rice cakes. low fat, low sugar but high in awesome... kindaish.

Hope I haven't wasted your time :D I'll keep an eye out for your next post

Sounds like we're in a similar pickle, man! I'm pretty much the exact same; pale skin with lots of red marks on the cheeks. They don't look so bad in the sun, but as I found out today, the skin can get really red if you don't use sunscreen, even if you're only out an hour. It has calmed down now, but as the sun goes down, the lighting gets harsher and my skin starts looking crappy again.

What I don't get, is looking through the gallery and people's blogs, their skin seems to look close to perfect after they finished. Is this because they didn't have really old red marks to begin with or what? I just want them gone. I could take a couple of pimples a week, but dozens of red marks make me feel down.

I actually almost ordered some emu oil myself today. I'm still not convinced about it though. I've seen a video log on youtube where the guy used it, but I'd need more proof. Where did you get this tinted moisturiser? I wouldn't mind trying it out. At least for social gatherings and stuff.

Good luck with the rest of your course though, man. Hopefully we can look back on these days and laugh sometime in the future.

Sounds like we're in a similar pickle, man! I'm pretty much the exact same; pale skin with lots of red marks on the cheeks. They don't look so bad in the sun, but as I found out today, the skin can get really red if you don't use sunscreen, even if you're only out an hour. It has calmed down now, but as the sun goes down, the lighting gets harsher and my skin starts looking crappy again.

What I don't get, is looking through the gallery and people's blogs, their skin seems to look close to perfect after they finished. Is this because they didn't have really old red marks to begin with or what? I just want them gone. I could take a couple of pimples a week, but dozens of red marks make me feel down.

I actually almost ordered some emu oil myself today. I'm still not convinced about it though. I've seen a video log on youtube where the guy used it, but I'd need more proof. Where did you get this tinted moisturiser? I wouldn't mind trying it out. At least for social gatherings and stuff.

Good luck with the rest of your course though, man. Hopefully we can look back on these days and laugh sometime in the future.

Yeaah avoid the sun! Apparently it prolongs red marks. Not to say that you shouldn't get ANY but yep, wear sunscreen!

Well yeah I think it's a mix of the fact that people didn't have red marks prior to this or that the final photos are actually a few months after the course has finished. I mean, I've seen galleries where the first photos are horrific (much worse than mine) but end up being more or less perfect. Can only assume that it's down to the photos being taken after the course, them not being prone to red marks, them wearing make up or a combination of the above.

Well I'm not gonig to try the emu oil until I haven't had any actives for a few weeks, so it wont be for a while yet. Like you say, I'm not so sure on it by any means!

Well tinted moisturiser is often sold in make up sections in stores- but obviously theres no chance that I'm going there! I order it online. There's a few aimed at men (but they're often called something like 'moisturiser with a hint of tan' or whatever), but these are mostly poo. I use stila spf 30- i put cetaphil on first then this over it (just a small bit). Makes the skin a bit shiny but I love it, really couldn't of coped without it during uni.

Yeah you too- I hope you're right! :) I'm sure we'll be fine eventually- hopefully sooner rather than later :D. Keep posting, I'll keep readin'!

Cool, man. I found some of the stila stuff on Amazon, but there's lots of different kinds. Which did you go for? Seeing as we both have pale skin, I should probably use the same as you.

I've been thinking of giving accutane until the end of the month, then discussing with my derm whether or not I want to continue. My mood is lowering more and more each day and I'm getting sick of constantly taking pills and not seeing improvement.