Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kazza

Coconut oil or Olive oil as a moisturiser........?

I'm currently using Jojoba oil in the evening, to moisturise, but I've been researching a lot about the "miracle product" that is coconut oil. I've looked online, youtube and on here. The majority of people are saying how good it is on there skin, how rehydrating it is, and the ones that are acne prone say it cleared them etc.

Of course, there's 2 sides, and a few people say it broke them out. But it's like it's a complete paradox cos, according to that comodegenic scale thingy, it's a 4/5, so it's really high up there. So how come most people are singing it's praises in terms of acne control? How can it heal if it's meant to block pores?

I'm confused but I guess I'll never know til I try and if it does break me out, it has many other uses. I already cook with it. But I'm shit scared of my acne getting any worse than it is!!

Or the alternative, something I'd never heard of, is Ozonated Olive Oil. There's hardly any reviews on this in comparison to coconut, but it doesn't seem to have the potential for breaking people out. Mind, I didn't look to see wot it was on the scale. It is meant to be good for acne, as well as many other things.

It'll take me a while yet to use up my jojoba, so in the meantime your thoughts, experiences, opinions would be much appreciated............

cheers in advance, kaz :)

I've read alot on coconut oil as well. I've been interested in consuming it for fat benefits or using it on my skin but havn't yet. I think you should just try and see what happens. There are always mixed results for every product because not everyone has the same problem.

It's strange how something that's 100% natural and unrefined can block your pores at all. I mean, jojoba oil is no problem. Mind that's a 1 or 2 I think. But there's a great variation when you look at these charts. Olive oil is a 2/5 so I'm veering to that. Then there's Emu oil........ARGH!

I just think these figures show the potential for causing breakouts, it's not exactly a given seeing as our skin types are many and varied. Give 100 people coconut oil to use on there face and watch the different responses.........

I'll be letting you know ; )

I have used it before several days in a row at several different time periods. It didn't do anything for my acne. It make you even greasier than jojoba. If your skin is really really dry/flaky it might be worth a try. Otherwise just eat it.

Coconut oil is one of the best oils to consume. This is the main oil I cook with. If you look at the studies/research you will hardly find a bad thing about it.

Edited by xboxfreak

how does the price of coconut oil compare to olive oil?

I have never noticed it in the store. Do you find it in the regular supermarket, or go to a natural foods store?

Why change anything if its working? I think too many people here, including myself make the problem worse by trying so many different things.

Jojoba rocks, I'd stick to it if it works and once you are completely clear, maybe try coconut oil then and see what happens. If you break out, then you can ditch it, otherwise you have a new weapon in your fight.

PANIC

I've been using coconut oil on my face as well as consuming it for about 2 weeks, and here's my experience so far:

The good:

1. I like the taste of coconut, so it doesn't bother me. I add somewhere around a teaspoon to my coffee in the morning. It makes the coffee oily (of course), but with a mug and a cover, it doesn't matter. It makes my coffee coconutty, which I love. However, with this, you must drink hot/warm coffee. Once you add ice...you'll get clumps of coconut solidified-"oil" in your coffee/drink.

2. It DOES dry up my pimples quicker than usual. But then again, I use it religiously, put it on my face every chance I get.

3. It absorbs within 1-2 hours if you don't put too much on (meaning only a dab) your face

4. It's great for your hair too. Makes my hair super soft (but I have naturally straight Asian hair)

The bad:

1. IT IS OILY! I put it on at night, and I don't even want to touch my own face cus it's so oily.

2. It's kind of expensive if you eat it. It's recommended you eat anywhere from 1-4 Tablespoons daily. It'll cost you about $10-15 per bottle, and it can go pretty quick depending on how much you use.

The verdict: I won't use it if there's something that a) absorbs better and b) isn't as oily. I've been using African black soap + shea butter + coconut oil on my face. Lately, I've been applying hte coconut oil like it's my oxygen. I slather it on every second I get a second I'm home. Other than the random pimples (which is probably due to menstruation), my cheeks have been ruddy blushing. It looks healthy and pinkish and more healthy in general. Hope this helps!

Ive ran out of jojoba oil (I use it multiple times a day as a moisturizer), and the jojoba oil I ordered like a week ago still hasnt arrived so I had to use extra virgin olive oil to moisturize with instead.

Only applied it once so far (about 2 hours ago) and it seems to work okay, im just worried that I'll wake up tommorow to a breakout though.

I tried olive oil a few days ago. I put it on my face before I got out of the shower. I rinsed my face after it was on, which by no means washed it all off, just helps my skin to not be SO covered in oil. It worked great. I did it because I've been using a lightening cream, and getting laser treatments, and they both dry out my skin. I did the oil thing at night, when I woke up the next morning my skin felt so soft! And of course less red, but I don't know if it was really less red than usual or just the morning effect(its always less red in morning).

Also one day when my skin was verrry dry and flaky, i made a mask where I blended avocado, banana, honey, and olive oil. It helped so much. None of these things broke my skin out, I think they actually helped with the breakouts I already had.

Thanks for the replies/advice! Well it'll be a while yet as I still have stuff to use up ( don't like using too many different products at once ) but olive oil seems to cause the least probs and it's lower on the comodegenic scale.

I'm just curious about coconut oil but maybe I'll try that once my acne is improved, I couldn't bear it to get any worse right now! This may be a while tho but I'm trying not to lose hope.

The other pull towards coconut was that people report it's good for lines, and as I'm in 30s, I feel like something that kills 2 birds with 1 stone very appealing! lol.

I checked out the coconout oil in the store today, and its solid.

Is that what those of you using coconut oil use? I mean it was completely solid, it looked like a white candle. Do you heat it up before you use it, or is this not the same oil?

I'm so confused - i was expecting a liquid.

@tree23 It is solid at room temperature. If you apply it to your skin which is warmer it will melt. You were looking at the correct stuff. Make sure to by organic coconut oil.

@tree23 It is solid at room temperature. If you apply it to your skin which is warmer it will melt. You were looking at the correct stuff. Make sure to by organic coconut oil.

If you buy it from amazon, its cheaper for about 5 bucks a jar for organic coconut oil