Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ash1

I think I burnt my face! help!!

Hi There,

I am 31 and recently started on the regimen. It has all been going well until yesterday.

I did my evening routine and felt very uncomfortable after applying the benzoyl peroxide to my face. I had to wash it off and I have noticed swollen redness under my eyes and nose. There are also two brown marks which feel like snake skin. I immediately washed off all the products on my face and applied some Sudocrem to the effected areas. The burns seem to be isolated to the sensitive parts of the face and not to my cheeks and chin.

Can someone please help with what I should do next as I am worried about the brown marks.

Thanks in advance.

From the FAQs:

Q: My skin looks absolutely terrible. It is peeling off, red, and I am miserable. What do I do?

A: You are either allergic to benzoyl peroxide, or you started too fast. 1-3% of people are allergic to benzoyl peroxide and experience swelling and/or crusting. If your skin swells up, discontinue use immediately. Most likely if you are experiencing severe dryness/redness, you simply started too fast. It takes a few days to a few weeks for your skin to become acquainted with benzoyl peroxide, and the redness/dryness should subside with time. Using a non-overdrying liquid cleanser can help prevent this dryness as well. Also, be sure to moisturize liberally. If you really can't stand the dryness, stop the Regimen completely, give your skin a few days to recover, and begin again with a much smaller dosage, only ramping up the dosage as you feel comfortable. But remember, you eventually need to use A LOT of benzoyl peroxide to achieve total clearing.

From the FAQs:

Q: My skin looks absolutely terrible. It is peeling off, red, and I am miserable. What do I do?

A: You are either allergic to benzoyl peroxide, or you started too fast. 1-3% of people are allergic to benzoyl peroxide and experience swelling and/or crusting. If your skin swells up, discontinue use immediately. Most likely if you are experiencing severe dryness/redness, you simply started too fast. It takes a few days to a few weeks for your skin to become acquainted with benzoyl peroxide, and the redness/dryness should subside with time. Using a non-overdrying liquid cleanser can help prevent this dryness as well. Also, be sure to moisturize liberally. If you really can't stand the dryness, stop the Regimen completely, give your skin a few days to recover, and begin again with a much smaller dosage, only ramping up the dosage as you feel comfortable. But remember, you eventually need to use A LOT of benzoyl peroxide to achieve total clearing.

You can try applying something like Neosporin cream or Vaseline to the marks to try to keep them moist and promote healing.

Thank you for the advice. I think I am going to give it a break for a few days till my skin heals and then start again... sloooowly :)