Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gMARIAs

Best Brand of Probiotics

*Warning* : Mildly mature content!

Clearly, I have some type of feminine infection right now. Trying all of the home remedies just seem to be making it worse. It's starting to feel quite unbearable. I got three hours of sleep last night because of it.

I have already been taking garlic for a couple of weeks and have even tried making a garlic tampon (which is apparently extremely popular and worked for lots of women). I've even used hydrogen peroxide because it, too, was touted as working wonders.

I don't really feel comfortable with continually trying these methods for an internal infection. So, I'm probably going to make an appointment with a doctor. The last time I had this, they gave me a round of antibiotics which alleviated all of the symptoms in one day and got rid of the infection in a week. This was over a year and a half ago - around the time I started having sex with my boyfriend. I quit birth control pills about 2 months ago, so we clearly didn't engage in anything at that time. A few weeks ago, we finally gave condoms a try and much like the first time we slept together, I started getting the same symptoms. The doctor has told me these infections are actually pretty common after switching partners or having sex for the first time or having it after abstaining for a while.

Chances are, I'll get the same treatment. What I want to know is what brand of probiotics would be best for replenishing the good bacteria, not only in my gut, but in feminine areas as well? I know there's Fem-dophilus, but I don't want anything that needs refrigeration. This isn't exactly something I want being advertised to my parents or anyone else who might come over - especially since I go to Planned Parenthood for medical needs because they give me low cost services and I don't have insurance. If I need to buy a couple of brands - no big deal. Just bear in mind that I don't have a lot of money so spending $75 on some crazy brand just won't work.

All the same, any good brands are welcome. I don't want to end up with Candida and end up developing more acne after already clearing myself! I'm also thinking that for the week on antibiotics, I should stick to meat and veggies? I normally eat fruit, too, but perhaps this would be helpful in preventing Candida? Also, how do I take the probiotics? Do I take them AFTER the week is over or do I take them a few hours after ingesting the probiotic?

Hey,

I have tried probably 5-6 different brands of probiotics in the last 2 years or so. As of right now, probiotics are the only "supplement" that I take. My personal favorite and the one I take daily is Country Life Power-Dophilus. It is milk/dairy-free, cheap, and powerful. Its only about $14 for 200 capsules on vitacost (you take 2-3/day). They don't have to be refridgerated, but I keep them in there anyway. I also currently have Nutrition Now PB8 that I take every 3rd or 4th day as well. I really like this one too. I swear by the power-dophilus though.

As far as taking it while you are still on antibiotics, well I'm sure it can't hurt. Probably won't matter when you take them, as antibiotics work specifically by building up in your tissues, so if it's going to kill the probiotics it will do so regardless of how far apart they are taken.

Hey,

I have tried probably 5-6 different brands of probiotics in the last 2 years or so. As of right now, probiotics are the only "supplement" that I take. My personal favorite and the one I take daily is Country Life Power-Dophilus. It is milk/dairy-free, cheap, and powerful. Its only about $14 for 200 capsules on vitacost (you take 2-3/day). They don't have to be refridgerated, but I keep them in there anyway. I also currently have Nutrition Now PB8 that I take every 3rd or 4th day as well. I really like this one too. I swear by the power-dophilus though.

As far as taking it while you are still on antibiotics, well I'm sure it can't hurt. Probably won't matter when you take them, as antibiotics work specifically by building up in your tissues, so if it's going to kill the probiotics it will do so regardless of how far apart they are taken.

Thanks. I'll look into that brand and probably start taking them after I'm done with my course of antibiotics. Luckily, I'll have to wait for an appointment and even after the week of taking them, they will hopefully have arrived. And luckily for me, my room is in a basement - very cold. I can store them in the storage room that is down here because it's usually extremely cold in there - maybe 40 - 45 degrees so not quite refrigeration temps, but pretty close.

Not sure about that, someone told me that DanActiv doesn't contain nearly enough probiotics to actually make a difference.

Not sure about that, someone told me that DanActiv doesn't contain nearly enough probiotics to actually make a difference.

Then again...being a guy....I wouldnt know what it's like to have feminine problems down there

Then again...being a guy....I wouldnt know what it's like to have feminine problems down there

Be grateful.

That aside, yogurt and I don't get alone. My body hates dairy. Period.

@RealTalk - lol well I didn't mean for feminine problems, just in general. It's easy to market a product as "omg this has probiotics, its so healthy and good for you" when you don't actually know how much probiotics it actually contains. There are pills that contain billions of probiotics, DanActiv doesn't even compare.

Does anyone know if it's ok to take more than 1 acidophilus capsule (even though the bottle says take 1)? I'm assuming it would be b/c I saw that other brands had higher dosages...but I just wanted to be sure. (the capsule I'm taking is 10 mg)

You should do boric acid suppositories. It is well written about and supposed to work.

Boric acid is supposed to be good for yeast infections. I don't have a yeast infection. I have BV. My infection is bacterial, not fungal or else I'd try it!

I've already tried tons of home remedies. Do you know how awkward it is to use garlic tampons? (a clove of garlic wrapped in gauze) or even a hydrogen peroxide one?

Home remedies just seemed to make it worse. I can't even sleep because of it.

Does anyone know if it's ok to take more than 1 acidophilus capsule (even though the bottle says take 1)? I'm assuming it would be b/c I saw that other brands had higher dosages...but I just wanted to be sure. (the capsule I'm taking is 10 mg)

I don't know why it wouldn't be?

I plan on taking mega doses once I'm through with my antibiotics. I really doubt it's that harmful.

You should do boric acid suppositories. It is well written about and supposed to work.

Boric acid is supposed to be good for yeast infections. I don't have a yeast infection. I have BV. My infection is bacterial, not fungal or else I'd try it!

I've already tried tons of home remedies. Do you know how awkward it is to use garlic tampons? (a clove of garlic wrapped in gauze) or even a hydrogen peroxide one?

Home remedies just seemed to make it worse. I can't even sleep because of it.

It actually works for both.

this is going to be a different answer then most, but you should focus more on feeding the bacteria in your intestine to keep the poulations up, more then trying to replace the bacteria.

the probiotic strains that are known today are slim compared to what exists down there, there much more to discover yet. What you want to do is to keep them fed so all populations saty high in numbers. by feeding them more fiber, the populations will not decrease and you will feed the ones we havent discovered yet. This will make sure they stay alive and do not become completly extinct before the round of antibiotics is over. This is a much more scientifically accurate strategy then taking probiotics, which will also help, but i dont think will do much.

Take it from a guy whos life now revolve's around understanding his own digestive tract, as i have been diagnosed with crohn's. or else you could spend 4-6 hours a day for a year reading every study and book about the gut flora, then you wouldnt have to take my word for it.

eat wheat bran, as well as whole grains and take inulin fiber supplements or eat lots of veggies and fruits.

as for the yeast infections, im not sure if this would help that.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980