Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
starzie

I will stop picking at my face

It's around 2.30 am where I live and i'm sooo frustrated with myself. I have a terrible problem with picking at my face. I hate it. I know if I didn't pick at my skin and just let it be, it wouldn't look all that bad. I'm trying to break this bad habit. Every week I start off pretty good, but then towards the end of the week it all gets out of hand and I let myself go back to picking at my skin. Once I do squeeze even just one pimple, I end up picking at everything..even at things that aren't there. It's like I try to create more problems for myself. Then the beginning of next week i'll try again but not succeed. I get so angry with myself when I pick at my skin because I know how terrible it will look the next day and how long it will take for the redness and swelling to go away. Sometimes I don't even want to leave the house because of how bad my skin looks. I get really down on myself and it's got to stop.

I'm hoping that this log will help me stay on track with the whole not picking at my face thing. I've heard that it takes around 30 days to break a habit, so that's what i'm going to try and do; go 30 days without touching my face..at all. Because I know if I start picking at it, even squeeze just one pimple, it'll get way out of hand.

So starting tomorrow, I will no longer pick at my skin.

Edited by starzie

"Joy is the best makeup"-Anne Lamott

This quote is hard to go by when you feel so ugly because of your skin though :/

Day 1:

I'm still mad at myself for tearing up my face last night. I have so many red spots all over my face now ughhh. Other than that I did very good today. Didn't pick at anything the whole day. Yay. I also have drank 8 glasses of water today, but i'll probably drink some more before I go to bed. I'd say my first day has been very successful. :)

If anyone is interested, I mostly only use the Clean&Clear Advantage Acne Control Kit.

post-123689-1267330118_thumb.jpg

I use the cleanser every morning and every night when I take a shower. I usually shower twice a day. I loooove the cleanser. It feels so amazing on your skin; it makes your skin feel minty fresh and also your skin feels so soft after using it. Besides the cleanser, I sometimes use the spot treatment at night on all of my spots. I haven't used the moisturizer that comes with the kit though. Maybe I should.

Besides that, i also use Clean&Clear Dual Action Moisturizer.

post-123689-1267330223_thumb.jpg

I like this moisturizer because it also makes your skin feel minty. I guess I love for my skin to feel fresh and minty hah.

Last but not least I also use the Freeman Facial Masque Clay (Avocado & Oatmeal).

post-123689-1267330636_thumb.jpg

This is just a face mask I picked up at the store one time. I don't really think much of it. It's just a face mask that I use about once a week. Sometimes twice a week.

These are the only products that I have been using for a while.

post-123689-1267330118_thumb.jpg

post-123689-1267330223_thumb.jpg

post-123689-1267330636_thumb.jpg

Edited by starzie

"It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else's eyes"-Sally Field

Day 2:

Day two has been alright. I was reading this log last night about not washing your face. I found it interesting and it kind of makes sense to me. So I decided not to wash my face at all today since it's the weekend and I don't have to go anywhere anyway. I gotta tell ya, my face feels pretty gross right about now. It just feels oily and dirty. I don't think I could go a very long time without washing my face. I like the feeling of freshness. My face is about the same as yesterday. Spots on my forehead, aound my chin, nose and some on cheeks. I haven't drank a lot of water today. Only about 4 glasses. That's half the amount I should drink daily :( Need to get into the habit of drinking more water.

I'm not looking forward to going school tomorrow. Why is it that the weekend always goes by the fastest? : /

Day 3:

Day three has gone good. I haven't had any urge to pick my face at all. Which is great. I think it's because i've been so busy and I just haven't cared to spend a whole lot of time in the bathroom today. I need to stay away from mirrors if I'm going to get through all 30 days hah. I haven't been drinking enough water though. Probably around 3 or 4 glasses. Also, I did drink soda, but i'm not too worried about that because I almost never drink anything besides water. But my diet has been pretty bad lately.

A while back I got this book called 'Gorgeous Skin For Teens. Eat Your Way To Clear Radiant Skin'

post-123689-1267501471_thumb.jpg

This book has great tips about how to eat right, exercise, be healthy..stuff like that. It also has lots of easy, healthy recipes and a two week guide to get you started on eating good. I tried it and I got through almost a whole week without eating or drinking anything bad. At all. It got hard though so I gave up and I haven't tried to follow it since, but I do try to eat better. It's a great book to learn about food and diets. I really do think that the saying 'you are what you eat' is true. If you're healthy on the inside, you will look healthy and your best. It's just so damn hard to stick to it. And i'm kind of a perfectionist. I try so hard to be perfect and when I can't do it, I just give up altogether :/

Anyway, my skin is still looking pretty much the same, just instead of red spots, I now have scabs instead. I want them gone. Also, my skin was sooo dry this morning..but it didn't feel dry at all but when I put a little bit of make-up on, I could see how dry it was. Or could it just have been dead skin? I don't know.

But that's all for now. I'm going to go watch TV and try to drink some more water :)

post-123689-1267501471_thumb.jpg

Edited by starzie

Day 4:

Still haven't touched my face. :dance: So proud of myself hah. I'm soooo tired, so i'm gonna keep it short. I've been going to bed past midnight and getting up at six and I need more sleep. Because when I don't get enough sleep I just get so grumpy and I don't have any energy. Oh another thing, my skin is sooo dry. :( And i've been putting on a shit ton of moisturizer but it's still so dry, and I don't know what to do about it. And the whole drinking 8 glasses of water a day is more like drinking 3 glasses a day. I don't know how I can make myself drink more water? I just forget to. But alrightyyy, i'm going to get some sleep. I'm so happy that tomorrow is hump day already; I want it to be the weekend so bad. Have a good night everyone.

Day 5:

Ahhh I was so tempted to squeeze some pimples when I was in the bathroom earlier, but I stopped myself. So I didn't get to squeeze anything :dance: I can't believe i've been doing so good. 5 days! This makes me happy. And I really don't think that food makes me break out because i've been eating pretty unhealthy and it hasn't changed anything. So that's good, because I love to eat baaad things lol. Water drinking is still not going good though : / But i've been really busy and i'm so tired so it's bedtime for me : )

Gee. I would really struggle to do this.

I think you should really try to avoid all mirrors. That is unless you need them to apply makeup or put contact lenses in or fix your hair.

The only reason for mirrors is to make sure we look good. As you will not be doing anything about pimple if you have any, there is no need to look at them. As they say, prevention is better than cure, so take away mirrors to prevent yourself from picking.

Good luck with everything!

I have the very same problem! Probably what helps me the most is:

1. Do not look at your face closely in the mirror. That is when I notice all my imperfections and I get some urge to start picking, squeezing, popping any blemish with false hope that it will look better.

2. Never start picking just one blemish thinking it will be the only one. Every time I pick one thing it seems nearly impossible to stop. I can think in my head, "just this one," but that is never the case. Its always one after another until I finally find the power to stop.

Gee. I would really struggle to do this.

I think you should really try to avoid all mirrors. That is unless you need them to apply makeup or put contact lenses in or fix your hair.

The only reason for mirrors is to make sure we look good. As you will not be doing anything about pimple if you have any, there is no need to look at them. As they say, prevention is better than cure, so take away mirrors to prevent yourself from picking.

Good luck with everything!

Ah I know, I hate mirrors right now. Because I was just in the bathroom taking off my make up and i saw this huge pimple on my forehead that was forming under a scab because there had been a pimple there before that I picked bad and it was really hurting. So I contemplated for about 5 minutes wether I should pop it or not, and I couldn't help myself. I squeezed it just a little bit and then it started bleeding so bad so I just kept squeezing deeper and deeper so it would stop bleeding so now it looks horrible. And then I picked some blackheads on my nose. I'm so disappointed in myself : / but it's usually a lot worse when I pick. I ususally just kill myself. But I was lucky enough to be able to stop myself.

And I can't really get rid of the big mirror in my bathroom : / And it's so hard not to want to look. But thank you, i'm trying really hard! : )

Also i'm really glad that people finally posted something, because I think encouragement will make this easier. And all the tips! So thank you!

Edited by starzie

I have the very same problem! Probably what helps me the most is:

1. Do not look at your face closely in the mirror. That is when I notice all my imperfections and I get some urge to start picking, squeezing, popping any blemish with false hope that it will look better.

2. Never start picking just one blemish thinking it will be the only one. Every time I pick one thing it seems nearly impossible to stop. I can think in my head, "just this one," but that is never the case. Its always one after another until I finally find the power to stop.

That's exactly what I do! If I tell myself i'm just going to pick that one pimple and it won't be bad..I ususally end up picking everything possible and even more. And it's so hard to stop. So we are in the same boat here. Let's hope we can both stop this terrible habit. : )

good job! i'm still mad at myself for popping my zits last night >:[

I know exactly how you feel : / Everytime after I pick at my face I feel so terrible. Just so low and frustrated. It sucks. But then in a few days they'll start to get better and I get more will power to not pick. And that lasts for some days and then I pick again. Soooo frustrating.

I hope that even made sense? haha.

Day 6:

So like I said in one of my replies, I just picked at my face some :/ I was doing so good and I was thinking I totally got this, i'm finally going to break this bad habit but I should have known better. At least it wasn't too bad. Just one big pimple on my forehead and some blackheads just on my nose. After I did pick, I was really upset though and I wasn't even going to come post on here today because nobody had been posting here so it felt like I was talking to myself. But I decided to get on here anyways, and i'm glad I did because I saw all these encouraging posts. And that really helps. So much. To just make you feel better and feel like you can do it. I feel a lot better now, after seeing those posts. So I just wanted to say thank you and that I really appreciate it : )

Edited by starzie

Day 7:

Soo I started off day 7 by picking some more at the previous pimples I picked on my nose last night. Nothing too bad though it was only around 3 or 4. I just reallly wish I could go completely without touching my face. But i'm just happy that i've gotten so much better.

Today I realized just how much I hate make-up. I have one of the 'Bare Essentials' powder and it's supposed to be really good, but I don't know if it's my skin or what, but it'll look good in the morning but by the end of the day it will look all shiny and stuff. Maybe it's just cause my skin gets oily during the day? Is there anything I could do about that? It really bugs me. I don't understand my skin at all. It'll be dry like around my mouth but shiny and oily like on my forehead and nose? It's frustratiiiiiing! What kind of make-up do you use? I like natural things. You should let me know what are some good powders. That's pretty much all I use when it comes to make-up; plus a little bit of eyeliner and a little bit of mascara, and eyeshadow. I just wish there was some magic cure or something and that one day you could just wake up completely clear! A girl can dream lol.

Shit. Just...shit.

Got so mad at my skin and picked so much! Everywhere possible.. All my hard work just out the window. I'm so mad at myself. And just so upset. I was looking at pictures of myself I took yesterday and my skin was looking so nice already and now it just looks like i have chickenpox on my face. Sooo many red spots all over my face. I'm in such a bad mood right now. I don't even know what to do : (

I just want to go hide.

Edited by starzie

Oooookay..been picking a lot. And i'm kicking myself for it. But this is ususally what happens..i'll go almost a whole week without picking but then at the end of the week I just can't seem to help it. Then i'll pick a lot for about two days or so and i'll start all over again; trying not to pick. This is a constant cycle for me. : / but there's gotta be a way to stop..

I've been reading http://www.stoppickingonme.com/ and I haven't gotten all the way through all the chapters yet but it says how obsessive compulvise picking can be something to do with more deeper problems..which I don't get. I don't have any terrible problems, my life is good. Then it also talks about how obsessive pickers are usually the overachievers and the perfectionists. That makes a lot more sense to me. I guess I am kind of an over achivever and I am a perfectionist. Things have to be perfect for me..or as close to perfect as possible. And when they are not..I just give up. It's hard to put it into words how I feel, but I do know that I need a lot of encouragment. That's one thing that always seems to help me get through things. The website is pretty interesting, even though I don't agree with the part that it's related to some serious emotinal problems. I mean I guess it can be for some people..but not for me. That's not why I pick. I pick because..well honestly I don't know why. I know it's not good for me, but for some reason it's just so tempting. But like I said, I don't have any serious problems..so it can't be that. Idk, if you have a problem of obsessively picking, then you should check this out.

Right about now my skin is looking terrible. Red spots EVERYWHERE. Dry, shitty complexion. Yep. I decided that I need to start over and do a better job at not picking this time. So I decided that tomorrow will be day 1 again. Which is perfect because it's monday. And with not picking, I will also drink at least 8 glasses of water every day, I will excercise every day, I will cut out some sweets and bad processed foods from my diet, and get more sleep. So i'll just try to be healthier. It's going to be hard though. Earliel when I was on like day 4 or 5 I was thinking to myself 'Wow this is easy, I can totally do this' but then I failed. I'd really appreciate for you guys to post your thoughts about anything related to skin and to just encourage me, because i'm really going to need it. And just somebody to talk to would be nice : )

Edited by starzie

i used to pick at my face ALL THE TIME. i stopped because i realized that it wasn't doing my skin any good and it left ugly nasty scars. i have a big white head near my nose and i had an urge to pop it, but i reminded myself that it will leave another red mark so i didn't.

everytime you want to pick at your face STOP and find something else to do. like going on the computer, watching tv, cooking, texting, etc. anything that will take your mind off your bad habit haha

i used to pick at my face ALL THE TIME. i stopped because i realized that it wasn't doing my skin any good and it left ugly nasty scars. i have a big white head near my nose and i had an urge to pop it, but i reminded myself that it will leave another red mark so i didn't.

everytime you want to pick at your face STOP and find something else to do. like going on the computer, watching tv, cooking, texting, etc. anything that will take your mind off your bad habit haha

It's so hard for me : ( but i'm trying reallllyyy hard. Thanks for the tips : )

Ooookay, so I haven't been doing what I said I was going to be doing; exercising, drinking lots of water, eating healthier. But I have been getting a lot more sleep lately and I feel so good just from that : ) But i've been so busy and some family stuff came up so I couldn't exercise and now I probably won't for the rest of the week. Maybe I will make next monday my day one lol. I have however stayed away from picking at my skin :dance: Except for last night..i popped a whitehead on my nose. But it was amazing..i saw the whitehead, didn't think twice about it and just popped it. And walked away. I've never been able to pop just one pimple before! : ) I did squeeze the crap out of it though so it was kinda red this morning, but it wasn't bad. I have some scabs from earlier picking and some red marks that aren't pimples anymore but that are just there..some of them are slowly fading but some it feels like it's taking forever for them to disappear. How can I get my face to be less oily?? heeeeelp! It's not terribly oily but oily enough to bug me.

This is a little off topic but I saw Dear John yesterday. I thought the beginning was good but that it could have been better. I was so excited to see that movie so I was a little disappointed. But Channing Tatum is hooooot : )

Well that's all for now lol.

: ) Tomorrow's friday. I'm so happy. I live for the weekends. Except fridays, saturdays and sundays are the days when I go crazy on my face..so this weekend my goal is to stay away from that. I've been doing really good. I just came out of the bathroom, and I did pick two pimples on my nose and then just stopped. If that's all I ever did, I wouldn't have any problem at all. So hopefully I will be able to keep this up. :boogie: Also usually i'd always go to bed from anywhere from 11.30 to like 2 in the morning, but this whole week i've been going to bed before ten. Around 9.30 ish. And when I wake up, I feel so good. My mom always tells me how much better you feel if you go to bed earlier, and now I see just what a difference it makes. It also makes me less grumpy. yay. Because sometimes I feel so bipolar. My skin is looking pretty good : ) Just waiting for some spots left from pimples and picking to fade. Anyone know any good home remedies and face masks to do? Because this weekend, instead of fighting with my skin, i'm just going to pamper it. : ) But now i'm off to bed. Have a good night everyone.

How is the 'no picking' going? I picked at a little white head the other night on my chin and now the damn thing wont go away. Hope youre having better luck!

How is the 'no picking' going? I picked at a little white head the other night on my chin and now the damn thing wont go away. Hope youre having better luck!

ugghh i was doing pretty good! you know, i'd pick at a few whiteheads and blackheads on my nose only and that was it. but just now i got done picking a little on my nose. my nose is so red! and then like five on my forehead..my forehead is sooo red now : ( and i have like the biggest bump, zit thing on my forehead..it was under my skin but stupid me still tried to squeeze it..so it just doubled it size and got super swollen. ughhhhh : ( i dont even know where this huge bump came from..it never gets that bad.

I didn't read all of the responses to this post, so I don't know if this has already been suggested, but what helped me stop were NO PICKING post-it notes in the middle of all my mirrors.

Good luck!

Haha That's what happens when you have too much time on your hands. Instead of covering up the mirror, how about having really dim lights so you can't see what's going on on your face? That works for me.

picking is a nightmare. something inside me says, pick it! you will look and feel better after.

but logically like now i can say this isnt the case. you always look worse and it always dont end up how you want it to.

i think ive popped about 6 spots ever that have just popped nicely and not left any redness!

they are the most satifisying when you feel the crap fly out at a rapid rate and it feels like such a relief !

i think this is what drives most of us to pop them or attempt to, that good satisfaction that you got rid of something you dont want on your face, not because it will make it look better.

recently i have just picked a spot that was under the skin, i could see it shining, so i pushed at it last friday and yes i got the crap out. however i was left with broken skin and compared to how the spot looked id rather have left it. but i didnt and then had to live with the consequence, went out sat night and just about managed to conseal it.

i met up with this girl i like and someone took our photo, so not only did i look drunk i looked pretty bad lol! wheey how to impress a girl...

and now with in about 1cm radiuos from that spot i got another one, and i did the same thing! squeezed it!, today at lunch i went home rushed to the bathroom and applied a warm compress. squeezed it because in my mind "the damage had already been done" and thankfully it gave in and i got some sebum out. Now in my mind i hope it will heal quickly and i can go on as normal.

anyway. i always seem to say, just one more, i wont pick it again, or anything else, then some reason i turn to picking frenzy.

its the ones under the skin that you can feel that drives me to picking madness

Edited by want2beme