Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dandantheman

Ejaculation causing hormonal acne

That's the issue, plain and simple. You may not believe it because it doesn't happen to you, or you might assume that I am religious and talkin smack about your favorite heathen activity behind closed doors, but that is not the case. I have noticed without fail that if I ejaculate, I can EXPECT acne, mostly and most severely on my back within 1-5 days, the more I do it the more it will appear on my face. Usually it is constrained to my back. If I Have sex more than once per week, the acne is larger and more painful, more inflamed. I'd like to be able to have sex with my girlfriend more often, without having to deal with this **** anymore.

Anything I should try?? I've been taking 1x30mg zinc per day, 3 fish oil pills per day, 1 vitamin B100 complex. They help very minimally. I heard accupuncture can help regulate the hormones, but that is rather expensive. I will not consider accutane an option, the side effects are too severe and acne returns in most people that use it.

Ugh any ideas??? Any doctors or dermatologists out there on these forums that have any clue as to what can be done about this?? Help! This sucks....

========NOTICE========

I'm not asking whether this true. I know this has been debated on this forum, but I'm here simply telling you that I have observed with my own eyes and to my own frustration that this happens, and quite obviously it happens for some other guys too. If it does not happen to you, please don't post here telling me it's untrue. It is true. For me it's true and many others it's true. If you don't know the answer, Don't post. Plain and simple. I am not religious, I am not anti-sex, I am not anti-masturbation. I love science, and I want to know the solution to this annoying problem that not all guys experience. Is there a solution to this problem other than limiting the frequency of sexual activity?

"No it does not cause hormonal acne" is not an acceptable reply at this point. Please refrain from posting that viewpoint, which in my plain observance is very clearly not the case.

======================

Edited by dandantheman

I am very interested in the answer to this question as well. I've just started testing this theory which hasnt been easy, but I'm going to see if its really the cause of this hormonal back acne I've had forever.

Trying to figure out the difference masturbating and sex has on acne as well. From what I've been reading and experienced, masturbating has a worse effect than sex, but I dont really understand why.

Yep you are lucky if it´s only acne you get. With me, I notice when my sexual activity increase so does my curly frizzy hair. If I abstain my acne decreases a lot, and my hair goes much softer without any frizz. I thought i was nuts until i find a site of a chinese guy, when he explains how this is because of DHT. Of course he has the solution with his pills, but I refuse to buy pills on the net.

Although what he writes makes a lot of sense, and it´s congruent with my experience.

I guess all these symptoms maybe a sign that our bodies:

1) are recovering very slowly from sexual activity

2) are not ready for sex....

Too bad, modern medicine ignores this completly...

Its been 10 days and I've already noticed the improvement, holding strong for a month to really see this test through. If this really is whats been causing me years of back acne its great to know, but damn what a bitch to give up.

screw scientific evidence, coming up on a month and im 70% clear. Any male who has back acne they think is hormonal because there is no other explanation should just man up and try it. To sit back and wait for scientific evidence is just laziness and mental weakness. That is if your body acne situation is severe enough that you would do ANYTHING for it to go away, like myself (24 years old, 6 years scared to take my shirt off in public).

screw scientific evidence, coming up on a month and im 70% clear. Any male who has back acne they think is hormonal because there is no other explanation should just man up and try it. To sit back and wait for scientific evidence is just laziness and mental weakness. That is if your body acne situation is severe enough that you would do ANYTHING for it to go away, like myself (24 years old, 6 years scared to take my shirt off in public).

Have you been treating your back whilst holding out for a month? it could be coincidental

my derm said that the oil that causes acne forms so deep in the skin that it takes 2 months for a pimple to form. i mean.... i believe her. she went to school for mad long to do what she does.

Is there any scientific evidence whatsoever to back up this claim?

Is there any scientific evidence whatsoever to back up this claim?

Zero.

Again, if it doesn't happen to you, or if you don't know why it happens, then you are contributing nothing to this discussion.

Hormones make your body function the way it does. They're simply signals, from one cell to another.

Everything that you do affects your hormones in some way. Exercise and food have a large impact on your hormones & metabolism.

To dismiss ejaculation (sex, masurbation) as having ZERO impact on your hormones is a pretty ignorant and selfish thing to say to someone who actually experiences this problem.

As far as evidence goes, I'm not sure how much more evidence I need to convince myself that I am actually experiencing this problem. When I hold off from ejaculation for 7+ days, I watch my acne vanish like frickin magic. When I have sex more than 1-3 times per week, I watch it come back. All while holding other things as constant as I reasonably can.

Edited by dandantheman

My question for this would be what do you think about stress having a factor in influencing hormones as well? If you constantly have the thoughts running through your mind that something specific like sexual activity causes your skin to breakout, then what kind of stress do you think that is putting on your body. I'm sure tons of people all over the world notice that when they think about their skin or what causes it to be bad, then they breakout more. This is what happens with me at least. Only with me it's about constantly thinking about products, regimens and what to try...strangely if I obsess about ANYTHING long enough my skin really acts up.

Anyways, if you have found a correlation between the two that will help keep you clear than I say that's great. Personally I don't think something as natural as having sex is something I would be willing to forgo to have clear skin. To live my life not being able to be fully intimate with anyone because it may cause me a few pimples would be a waste, at least in my opinion. Plus there is other people to think of in this situation, such as your girlfriend. I'm sure she respects your decision, but honestly how fair is that to her in the long term? I just personally can't see any relationship surviving or even thriving without physical intimacy...again, this is all MY opinion.

Edited by babyblueeyes

Babyblueeyes, finally someone intelligent who gives a good opinion without being rude.

I just debate this topic on acne.org, because I think if this is not THE cause of acne, it´s a major one.

You are right, I also think that mind affects your body, and if you stress about sex it could worsen your acne.

BUT there are scientific studies (google: endocrine response masturbation) and you will find a study that shows sexual activity itself, and the act of ejaculating, do increase your levels (A LOT) of DHT Dihydrotestosterone , DHT is responsible for overstimulating sebaceous glands and oily skin. This is really a scientific fact.

Edited by miketomass

miketomass- Wow, you really have done your homework. That's nice to see on an acne forum.

That's sucks that this is an issue men have to deal with when it comes to clearing skin. I wonder if there is some similar issue for us women! I have often read in magazines like Cosmo and such (I always taken them with a grain of salt) that they make statements like 'Having sex keeps your complexion clear' or whatever. I myself haven't noticed anything in terms of my skin condition being related to the amount of sexual activity I have, but I do wonder what the truth is for us ladies?!

In regards to the stress thing, I was also somewhat referring to the stress hormone cortisol which can have a major influence on the production of excess glucose within the body. I studied nutrition in school and I remember hearing how the excess glucose can tax not only the kidney's, but also the adrenal glands (endocrine system). I do not know where I read this, but I also remember a little paragraph explaining how some physicians believe acne is like diabetes for the skin. The excess glucose attaches to the proteins within the skin and permanently damages them, which can lead to poor collagen production and severe scarring. Because sugars a major food source for bacteria, it would also make sense that those who produced more cortisol/glucose are more susceptible to larger amounts of bacteria strains. I have no idea if this could actually effect skin bacteria like P. acnes or anything but they are a form of bacteria so...

I'm kinda rambling, but I've often wondered the sugar theory a few times. I know for myself when I eat anything high in sugars or foods that affect my glucose levels, like starches, I can almost guarantee my skin will play up or just look generally worse within the next few days.

Edited by babyblueeyes

When I added fish oil (anywhere from 1-4g DHA+EPA per day), the inflammation greatly decreased. The acne typically is more short-lived, dries up faster, and flakes off faster if I supplement my diet with fish oil or fatty fish. The acne tends to harden faster and the bumps are typically more pointed and crusty than they are round, plump, and red. Reduced inflammation is marvelous.

I'm not sure about the stress factor, for me. For YEARS, I would ejaculate daily with absolutely no knowledge of this strong correlation. My assumption was that I wasn't washing my face enough, so I went from washing 2 times to 3 times a day. So much dryness, my god.. (Tried Proactiv, turned my face to leather). My first big realization, which was only about a year ago (many years into dealing with acne all throughout school), was that the use of cleansers (and even mild ones like Cetaphil) on my face was completely counter-productive, for me. I learned that my skin just needed to be left alone. And from there on, my facial acne greatly diminished.

But until I read the silly withholding-from-masturbation thread on this site, I was bewildered as to what was causing my skin to break out so badly on my back, shoulders, neck, and other places. Like I already mentioned above, as soon as I tried it myself I was at first very relieved to have discovered such a strong correlation, and later rather discouraged at the implied limitation on sexual activity to maintain good skin.

The fact that I didn't know about this correlation kind of eliminates the stress factor. I'm one of the mellowest people I know when it comes to dealing with problems, and the only reason it's even an issue is that I'm very logical and need answers. I suppose it is possible, but I seriously doubt that in my case stress is even remotely close to being the root of the problem.

My girlfriend is very understanding, and quite honestly I think with the supplements I'm already taking I can probably keep this under control. I DO have room to increase dosages safely, so I'll probably do that.

Some people have HSV-1 and get cold sores, while others who have it never get sores. Likewise, some guys' bodies will outwardly express the ejaculation-acne problem, while other guys will not. They key here is range. We all experience life uniquely. Our bodies do similar and somewhat predictable yet unique things. But ultimately, no matter how unique, there is an explanation for everything whether we know what it is or not. Until then, we just have to experiment and find the balance for everything in our lives. I've heard countless people talk about the benefits of withholding ejaculation, from ancient yogis to modern day athletes like Mike Tyson. People have believed for long time (and with reason) that limiting sexual activity is a good thing. Although this doesn't suffice as an answer to the question of WHY this problem occurs exactly, I think it's the only course of action right now considering the medical community's ignorance & complete dismissal of the subject.

In a society that is addicted to sex and has serious sex/image problems, it is blasphemy to suggest that we include sex when we say "Everything in moderation", or "Less is more".

Anyway, I am long winded, my apologies.

Edited by dandantheman

dandantheman- I think that was very well said. No one can argue if you have found all this to be true for yourself. I'm a firm believer that we know our bodies better than anyone else. Can I ask a really (possibly) intrusive question? So do you plan then on abstaining altogether, or are you merely meaning that even with this discovery of this link, that you will still be having sex just on a very occasional basis?

Edited by babyblueeyes

Total abstinence doesn't seem to help any more than reducing the frequency to 1-2 days per week. A period of abstinence beyond 7 days doesn't seem to do much more for this condition, for me. 1-2 days seem to be the limit of manageability.

3 times per week is really pushing it. 4, and I'm guaranteed to have some problems.

Sometimes if I ejaculate while my immune system is in a slump (enlarged lymph nodes, sore throat, whatever) the acne seems to increase substantially - more spots, bigger, redder, more inflammation.

The goal here is not to stop having sex forever :)... at least I don´t intend to.

I think the issue is your body balance, any type of sexual activity is very exhausting to your body. Some people having been "over" masturbating for years.... years and years without letting their bodies recover.

One should try 2 months without masturbating, if you are not clear by then masturbate 1 time a week with 5 days of rest between.

this thread is getting far too dirty lol

Masturbation is quite a natural thing, I'm not sure why everyone is so hush hush about it and talking about sex is acceptable. But don't let me start a discussion, this thread is about acne! >.<

this thread is getting far too dirty lol

Masturbation is quite a natural thing, I'm not sure why everyone is so hush hush about it and talking about sex is acceptable. But don't let me start a discussion, this thread is about acne! >.<

I completely agree, Anna. Everyone in this world has done it, or at least thought of it once in our lives so why does the world still act like it never happens? Ok, discussion over. lol

Also I have to agree on the comment about excess sweat possibly causing acne too. That would make sense to me to be something adding to the problem.

The same thing happens to me. Absolutely, positively, with 100% certainty.

If I ejaculate more than once in (roughly) 7 days I break out. The longer I abstain, the better my skin is.

Anything I should try?? ... Ugh any ideas???
Edited by laroque