Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lady25

How effective is makeup primer?

I have oily skin and large pores on my inner cheeks. I really need a makeup primer or something to smooth out my skin because when I apply foundation everything becomes more noticeable :(. It's a nightmare. I've never used a makeup primer and for those of you who do, can you please fill me in on how effective it is? Or any other info? Thanks so much.

I use estee lauder primer combined with estee lauder maximum coverage foundation.

I'd make sure you are using a high quality foundation and then try to get a primer of the same make.

Look for one that gives the skin a matte appearence. DR feel good by benefit is very good at minimising pores and can be worn on its own for when you have clear skin :D . I didn't think it controlled oily shine very well though.

Clinque do a lotion that instantly minimises pores and also helps to make your pores reduced over time - 2 in 1. It's quite inexpensive for clinque at something like £14 (don't quote me on that)

On a cheaper note boots own brand do a tiny matte liquid for like £4 I bought it when I couldn't afford clinque and found it to be quite good at keeping my skin matte although it did nothing for my pore size.

Hope this helped x

Edited by *jellybeans*

I have one primer girl: Smashbox Photo Finisher Primer. You have the light (oil-free) version and the original version. I would recommend the original version even though it is a bit greasier-feeling than the light one simply because it's more silicone-based. The original foundation primer from smashbox (colorless one) will smooth out your skin and make the application of make-up a lo less noticeable.

I use Perfekt Skin Perfection gel. Its sold at sephora and won't break u out. It makes makeup smooth and evens out skin tone. It is expensive though. It comes in clear or in a tint. i suggest a tint. the tint helps if u have redmarks or redness

However, if u have really oily skin (like myself) then this isn't the best at controlling it throughout the day. I just ordered DHC Velvet skin Coat. It gets amazing reviews and it smooths skin and helps control oil.

Primers are life savers.

Thanks for your replies I really hope that when I try them something will work for me. That'll be ina month or two though...if anyone else has input that would be great. I'll update when I'm ready to try a few out.

I use the Laura Mercer primer. You can get it at Sephora. It really has helped reduce the oil and keep my moneral make up in place all day. I also like it on my eyelids so my eyeliner stays where I intended ;) Good luck.