Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KNL71

Dryness

I just started the regimen about 4 days ago. I have used benzoly peroxide off and on for quite some time, so my skin has been expoded to benzoyl peroxide before. My acne tends to be located on my chin, however, I do have ocassional breakouts on other areas of my face. Anyway, when I started using the regimen a few days ago I'm doing the regimen on my whole face, not just my chin. I use Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin Foaming Cleanser, Neutrogena 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide and Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer. I recently ordered DK's benzoyl peroxide and jojoba oil, so I will be using those also and discontinue the Neutrogena Benzoyl Peroxide. I'm hoping that DK's BP will work better than Neutrogenas. It seems that Neutrogenas BP dries too fast and is hard to spread around evenly, causing some areas to have more BP than others. I have been experiencing quite a bit of dryness and flakiness since starting the regimen, which I expected to have. I use about 1/3 of the full amount of BP to start with, since my skin has already been exposed to BP. My skin isn't too red or irritated, so I'm guessing I'm using an ok amount to start off with. I was wondering, how long did you all experience dryness and tightness? I'm hoping the jojoba oil will help quite a bit, I can't wait for it to get here! Also, as you gradually increase the amount of BP being used, does your face continue to get drier?

Well stick with the 2.5% BP, use a good moisturizer. neutrogena might not cut it.

Mix some jojoba oil with it, or go to a near department store and get your hands on some cetaphil.

Well stick with the 2.5% BP, use a good moisturizer. neutrogena might not cut it.

Mix some jojoba oil with it, or go to a near department store and get your hands on some cetaphil.

My jojoba oil has been shipped and it is on the way to my house as we speak! I can't wait to use it! In the mean time, my face is dry and kinda peeling in areas. It basically looks like after you've had a sunburn and the skin drys and then flakes off. I was thinking about getting cetaphil moisturizer to use at night until the dryness gets better. Have you used the cetaphil? Just was wondering how well it worked. Also, did your face continue to get drier as you used more BP, or did it get used to the BP?

For a lot of people, the dryness will continue until your skin adjusts to the full amount of BP, although after the first couple of weeks, the flakiness does seem to die down. Making sure to moisturize enough and using jojoba oil should help a lot.

Still, I want to point out that, even if you've used BP in the past, it's very important to take things slowly with The Regimen. Rushing into using larger amounts of BP can lead to excess dryness and irritation, and can actually set you back. The dryness that comes with BP doesn't always happen immediately. It can take a week or two before it sets in, and if you rush into using more BP than your skin is ready for, the dryness can be pretty uncomfortable when it happens.

I strongly suggest that you follow the Regimen dosing instructions and take your time with increasing the amount of BP you're using. Using too much BP too fast is a mistake that many people make.

Anywho, I switched to Cetaphil moisturizer because the Clean & Clear moisturizer that I started out with just wasn't cutting it, and I'm so glad I switched. Cetaphil is the best facial moisturizer I've used. If you're looking to switch moisturizers, Cetaphil might be a good way to go.

For a lot of people, the dryness will continue until your skin adjusts to the full amount of BP, although after the first couple of weeks, the flakiness does seem to die down. Making sure to moisturize enough and using jojoba oil should help a lot.

Still, I want to point out that, even if you've used BP in the past, it's very important to take things slowly with The Regimen. Rushing into using larger amounts of BP can lead to excess dryness and irritation, and can actually set you back. The dryness that comes with BP doesn't always happen immediately. It can take a week or two before it sets in, and if you rush into using more BP than your skin is ready for, the dryness can be pretty uncomfortable when it happens.

I strongly suggest that you follow the Regimen dosing instructions and take your time with increasing the amount of BP you're using. Using too much BP too fast is a mistake that many people make.

Anywho, I switched to Cetaphil moisturizer because the Clean & Clear moisturizer that I started out with just wasn't cutting it, and I'm so glad I switched. Cetaphil is the best facial moisturizer I've used. If you're looking to switch moisturizers, Cetaphil might be a good way to go.

Your information has been very helpful! :D I def did not rush into the BP. About a year ago I applied too much BP that was 10% and had a bad reaction that I didn't want to repeat! So, with this new regimen I started off using about 1/3 of the full recommended dosage twice a day (only 2.5%, never will use 10% again!). My face isn't very red or irritated, just somewhat dry and flaky. Surprisingly, today my skin isn't quite as dry and tight, just flaky (day 5 now). I just bought cetaphil lotion tonight, so I'm going to use it at bedtime. I'm kind of hesitant to use it during the day though. I've seen several people say the lotion is too greasy and causes their face to be shiny during the day. I might just stick with my neutrogena oil free lotion during the day. So far the results are good and I am happy!

ahhh jojobas a miracle. it sucks up dryness like a sponge :dance:

lol but be prepared for the oilyness of it

Yeah I've heard it can be oily :( I probably won't be using it during the day then. I don't want a greaseball looking face and foundation running off! LOL I've heard at night it's awesome though! When do you usually use it?

Edited by JillyKins9

yeah don't use it during the day. i don't even use 2 drops during the day because that's a lot of oils.

I only use cetaphil and jojoba at nigh time.

If your a girl and you wear makeup, cetaphil is not something you'd want to use before applying makeup. it's sticky.

I've actually been using cetaphil since 2007 or 2008. The more i used, the less dry become in the morning, but sometimes i feel like i slapping it all over my face lols. i don't ever do that thin coat nonsence because usually when you sleep you roll over.

Eventually some parts, moisturizer and jojoba will come off, so i slap it on my face.

I've used the regimen for 6 months now, dryness is gone, but there will always be a little dryness there since i have sensitive skin. little dryness, no flakes though. no dead skin.

Edited by Thanh

If your a girl and you wear makeup, cetaphil is not something you'd want to use before applying makeup. it's sticky.

I love using Cetaphil under my makeup. Everything goes on smoother when I use Cetaphil. : )

oh really? i have friend's (girls) whom i recommended the moisturizer to, and they attempted to use it under makeup and said it became uneven.

I guess it's just them or the way they apply it then.