Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dark_eyes

antibiotics the only way?

My dermatologist's assistant was telling me that he believes that me being on an oral antibiotic would pretty much be the only way to clear up my cystic acne. I hate the idea of taking antibiotics long term, and to have to "depend" on them to keep my skin clear. There is a little more info in my Introduce Yourself post.

I've read posts on here that antibiotics will help, but as soon as you get off of them, your face will breakout just as bad. I don't want that. I was really hoping to just get rid of them without pills. He said that my skin wouldn't break out like that after quiting the antibiotic. Would I have to be "weened" off of them? I am so desperate right now to just get rid of this crap on my face. I almost want to blame the derm because she prescribed me retin-a (i'm using generic tretinoin) and that is when my face got so bad. It is all on my temples down through my jawline. Luckily if I leave my hair down, it covers a lot of it. She did tell me it might get worse taking retin-a before it gets better, and it has only gotten worse. I don't see improvement. I started the retin-a in November.

Ok, i'm getting off topic here. What I'm wondering is if antibiotics are pretty much the only way???Please help!! :pray:

Antibiotics are only a temporary solution. You do have to weaned off of them which may lessen the chances of a severe breakout, but you will still break out afterwards. Maybe your derm. is hoping you'll "grow out" of acne by the time your course is done. Check out some other options like Accutane, diet, etc.

just go on them mate. you dont want it taking over your life. i did it wen i suffered from bad cystic acne and it healed it all up, just make sure you take it exactly when you should and take a pro biotic with them along the way.

as long you are are weend off them you should be fine, yeah you may break out but doing it correctly you should be fine.

then keep diet as good as you can.

no one should have to live with cysts i know how horrible they are

when i took them i was skipped days, taking them with milk, alcohol, and when i stopped taking them it was out of my own decision and i completely stopped. week later my face exploded.

but again its cause i wasnt doing all the correct things.

if i went on them again, id be ultra careful and do exactly what i am told. use skinoren at the same time so your skin dont build up an anti biotic resistance and make ultra spots

Edited by want2beme

just go on them mate. you dont want it taking over your life. i did it wen i suffered from bad cystic acne and it healed it all up, just make sure you take it exactly when you should and take a pro biotic with them along the way.

as long you are are weend off them you should be fine, yeah you may break out but doing it correctly you should be fine.

then keep diet as good as you can.

no one should have to live with cysts i know how horrible they are

when i took them i was skipped days, taking them with milk, alcohol, and when i stopped taking them it was out of my own decision and i completely stopped. week later my face exploded.

but again its cause i wasnt doing all the correct things.

if i went on them again, id be ultra careful and do exactly what i am told. use skinoren at the same time so your skin dont build up an anti biotic resistance and make ultra spots

i hear you guys on this.... i have a cystic zit that popped months back and i believe it is infected from me irritating it.. i dont have insurance to go to a dermatologist right now and i believe that i need doctor prescribed antibiotics... not sure yet though... havent ever seen a dermatologst before.. you know of any over the counter antibiotics that i can take in the time being???

I've taken Minocycline for about a year, and during the months 4-5 I was very content with my acne. Then I went on vacation and didn't take it for two weeks. I broke out bad, and now that I'm back on it. My face is no where near how good it was earlier.

Thanks for all your replys. I went ahead and started taking the doxycycline. I don't want to be on them too long. My husband and I had plans to try and have another child this year and I know I can't be on antibiotics during a pregnancy. I don't understand why these cysts keep popping up! I'm doing everything right, using all the crap the derm gave me. I never had this problem before and just out of no where my face exploded with all this nasty acne. I'm about ready to even give Proactive a try. I'll use anything at this point.

the_TRUTH-I dont' have insurance either. I would suggest calling some dermatologists and seeing what their self-pay rate is. Mine was $100 the first visit and ever since it's only $50. I know that is still a lot, but it's way cheaper than some other ones I checked.

Don't mean to get you down.. I hope you cure up.

but just sharing my story.

I took oral antibiotics (doryx) for a long time like couple different times... each time it only cured it up for like 1-2 weeks, then I would still get cysts and inflammation. But then again, I had a bad diet, because I thought it was a magic pill. I learned about natural approaches to curing, because I tried all the prescriptions, but it was only temporary. I guess try to take a probiotic and stay on a healthy diet, then who knows it might work. I didnt' do that, so who knows. Good luck.

I really feel bad for you. Antibiotics can be effective, but the many of them are prescribed not for their bacteria killing properties, but because some of the side effects include drying up the skin (if you don't believe this, please do a little research...it's not urban myth). One of the problems is that while they can be effective, the body can also build up a reistance to them, and of course the bacteria killing properties are diminished through natural selection because some of the bacteria have natural immunity and they continue to live and reproduce. (for those of you who question Darwin, please look at life at the bacteria level). One of the big problems is that people do not take a full course of antibiotics , quitting them before the prescribed course is over, and this helps in creating antibiotic resistant bacteria.

If you have been diagnosed with cystic acne and it is not responding to antibiotic treatment, then accutane is the most likely next step...IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING GETTING PREGNANT THEN THIS VERY POWERFUL DRUG IS NOT FOR YOU...but it has proven itself to be quite effective. Side effects vary from individual to individual.

Some push a natural treatment regimen using diet and supplements. This may be effective, but it is largely trial and error and results seem to vary from person to person. You can certainly try it and there are enough nutritional "experts" on these boards to offer advice. All I can say is that you pay for what you get...but who knows maybe you can be helped by this approach.

One thing, are you sure you have cystic acne or are you calling an outbreak of pimples, cysts? There is a difference. Although acne cysts are not strictly speaking true cysts, they are different from regular pimples in that the form deep under the skin and do not form a head at the surface. If you have been diagnosed with cystic acne, I am surprised that your derm has not mentioned the accutane option. AGAIN TO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE PREGNANT OR PLAN TO GET PREGNANT IN THE NEAR FUTURE...I don't know how taking antibiotics if you are pregnant affects things, this is something that you need to discuss with your derm and not his/her assistant or for that matter leave it up to laypersons who regularly contribute to this board.

Wishing you all the best,

Joe Zit

Edited by Joe Zit

Joe Zit- Thanks so much for all the advice. I did ask the derm what kind of acne she considered me and she said it "looks" like cystic acne. I can feel them under my skin and they NEVER come to a head. Right now I actually have a hot compress on my face seeing if that'll help. I also asked one of our estheticians at work (I work at a salon and spa) and she said it looks more like cystic acne.

Right now I have just a few that are small, but I can feel them under the skin and they hurt. I can also see the small red lump on the surface, like I said, these feel like they have shrunk. I think part of the reason why my face looks so bad is because I still have all the red marks left after, it's pretty much just as bad as the acne itself. I also still have some tiny little bumps on the skin after the cysts seem to be gone.

The idea of accutane scares me. I don't want to be on anything powerful like that. Especially if we want to concieve later this year, I worry I'll still have traces of the drug in me or something. I've read it causes severe birth defects. Does anyone know what could've caused me to break out like this? I don't have a history of acne like this. I mean, I would get minor breakouts occasionally and they'd clear up in a week. This is persistant and a different kind of acne. I'm 27!! This should not be happening to me. Obviously, I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself. But hell, my face never looked like this before. My self-esteem is gone.

Joe Zit- Thanks so much for all the advice. I did ask the derm what kind of acne she considered me and she said it "looks" like cystic acne. I can feel them under my skin and they NEVER come to a head. Right now I actually have a hot compress on my face seeing if that'll help. I also asked one of our estheticians at work (I work at a salon and spa) and she said it looks more like cystic acne.

Right now I have just a few that are small, but I can feel them under the skin and they hurt. I can also see the small red lump on the surface, like I said, these feel like they have shrunk. I think part of the reason why my face looks so bad is because I still have all the red marks left after, it's pretty much just as bad as the acne itself. I also still have some tiny little bumps on the skin after the cysts seem to be gone.

The idea of accutane scares me. I don't want to be on anything powerful like that. Especially if we want to concieve later this year, I worry I'll still have traces of the drug in me or something. I've read it causes severe birth defects. Does anyone know what could've caused me to break out like this? I don't have a history of acne like this. I mean, I would get minor breakouts occasionally and they'd clear up in a week. This is persistant and a different kind of acne. I'm 27!! This should not be happening to me. Obviously, I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself. But hell, my face never looked like this before. My self-esteem is gone.

[/quo

Hey i was taking the same antibiotic and it made my hair fall out afterbi quit useing it my hair stop falling out . Im on keflex and am using epiduo gel now but omg my face hurts and in now breaking out even more. derm said it'll get worse b4 it gets better URGG.....

Well Good luck

hey guys ive had acne since for more than 10 years and been on and off and once i was off it come back. now im 23 and have huge cystic acne. which im going to try reaccutane again for the second time. i guess there isnt any other way for this terrible acne!! so yes i think u should try it. living with pimples is hell!

Well dark_eyes, if what you have is really cystic acne then it's no wonder Retin-A didn't help, that sort of thing is most effective against surface zits. Your doc is right, antibiotics are the most effective way to deal with that sort of serious acne problem. Doxy is a fairly mild, commonly used drug, and lots of people have been prescribed it. In most cases, it really works, and the side effects are generally not that bad (although this of course varies from person to person). It's true that antibiotics are usually just a suppressive measure, but ya know, taking a pill twice a day is a small inconvenience for getting clear. I hope it works out for you.

Truth is, you can't heal it. It has to heal it's self over time as you grow older. BUT, you can treat it, just like everyone else. Here is an article talking about a natural organic product Apple Cider Vinegar Organic. *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

Take a look, and go try it. It's about 4.85 at Kroger or whatever store is near you. Apply it twice daily to the entire skin. Once in the morning, and once before bed. Just be sure to wash your face off if you are going to do something that involves sweating, it can leave a horrid odor, only when you sweat. It also smells right when you apply it, but dont worry once it drys no one knows you have it on. It works wonders, I promise. Just give it a try and let me know what happens. You may also want to dilute it the first couple of times you try using it, add a little bit of water to a cotton ball then add the ACV to the cotton ball. Be sure to tap your face with the cotton ball, don't rub it. I'm making a detailed thread later on my process and how it's proven that this method works! Hope this helps, read the article i linked!

Well, I had an appointment this past Monday (the 22nd) with the derm. and she gave me some cortizone injections. That has helped a lot. I am currently taking the doxy and she also told me to take Vitamin A, so I am taking that 2x daily. I do feel a difference, some of the other small cysts have come to a head and flatten out. Of course, the damn red spot is still there. BUT, she told me to try Dermablend, it's a makeup and it is AMAZING! My skin looks almost flawless with it, I even had a girl at work mention that my complexion was looking great. I would highly recommend it. Hank, thanks for the link. I might wait a little bit before I try that. Want to see if my current treatment will improve things.