Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kadysmom

itchy scalp???

I've only been on accutane for 8 days and have a horrible itchy dry scalp. Has any onle else experienced this? If so, any suggestions on products to use that can help??? Thanks so much!

Try some head and shoulders or shampoo like that. It should help, though if your hair starts to fall out then stop...Cause it might become permanent.

good luck

oli girl why do you continue to troll on these boards? And why don't the moderators catch on to this? Is it because you respond by giving what seems like genuine advice and then a scaremongering response.

All of your responses are yeah you should use this or do that. but you might die. good luck!

What is the point of your presence on this board?

+1 on the head and shoulders, but -1 on the hair falling out and becoming permanent. That second part is just stupid.

Do you use conditioner? I'd try a light conditioner if you aren't already and see if that helps. Don't scratch your head either, that'll just make it worse.

I've been using Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment recently (it comes in a dark blue bottle). I had an itchy scalp even before Accutane, but this seems to have helped.

Ditto on the conditioner.

Also, try to wash your hair as infrequently as possible, to avoid further drying out your scalp.

Hey there Kadysmom,

This is my first post but ive been lurking for a few weeks!

I've been on Accutane for 9 days!! I also have the itchy scalp but also a VERY itchy and sore forehead especially my eyebrows.. I've 'discovered' 100% aloe vera gel a few days ago :doh: (I bought it at Holland and Barratt in UK)

Im not sure how this gel would work on european hair types? (I'm Black with Afro hair ) but's it's been a God send the itching stops as soon as the gel dries..

In fact for the past 4 days i've been also moisturising my face with the same Gel as my forehead was too sore for any thing else.. and in that time the soreness on my forehead and itchyness on my scalp has healed. :D

oh and im not remotely dry :confused: infact im more greasy, so the Aloe vera is the perfect moisturiser for the moment (im sure the dryness will kick in at somepoint)

Best of luck with it all..

Edited by Custard

I am in exactly the same position as you- 8 days in and a reallly dry flaky scalp. Try using Neutrogena t-gel, that stops the itching so you don't need to worry about anything. Also, try rubbing just a ting bit of jojoba oil into your scalp, that is also good at soothing. Also, I wouldn't worry about any hair loss. Ignore whatever Oli Girl says, especially since I find the idea of hairloss worries me- just remember this- whenever you get dry skin on your arms/legs your hair on your arms/legs is completely unaffected- the two things, ie dry skin and hair loss are unrealted

Good luck on your couse!

What's worked the best for me is using CeraVe moisturizing cleanser as my shampoo as well (it's the cleanser and moisturizer I've used on my skin since going on Accutane- available at most drugstores, I don't care for Cetaphil). I never thought it would work well for cleaning my hair/scalp, but it does. I use Pantene Moisture Renewal conditioner after I rinse the CeraVe and leave it on my scalp for a few minutes before I rinse. I would avoid shampoos that contain Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate because they can be very drying, but you really don't need an additional shampoo if you're using the CeraVe.

Itchy scalp has been my worst side effect during my 35 days so far of 40 mg of Amnesteem, so I've tried lots of things, talked to my derm, and I can tell you what hasn't worked. I ordered Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Shampoo and Conditioner, and didn't see any improvement. I also ordered Philip B. Rejuvenating oil, and left it on my scalp overnight, as directed. I think it helped somewhat, but really didn't see/feel the dramatic improvement I was hoping for (also tried olive oil which worked just as well and is much cheaper!)

Tried Head and Shoulders, really didn't like the smell, and my derm said it really wouldn't be effective anyway because it's for dandruff, which she said comes from oily scalp/oily clumps of skin sloughing off, as opposed to dry skin flakes, which aren't technically classified as dandruff- I didn't realize there was a difference until she told me.

I also try to avoid washing my hair over the weekend, and that seems to help as well. Hope this helps. If you find something that works well, please share, I'm still looking, but this is what's worked the best for me. Good luck!