Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
butterknife25

Chemical Peel Question??

I have a lot of very minor scarring, which is not very deep at all, but still looks bad. I was tryingto do a bunch of chemical peels over time to provide some improvement. I thinkg his is a better idea because it's very cheap and the risks are minimal. So if it doesn't work I lose 20 bucks, which is a lot better than throwing money away on micro -dermo or smooth beam.. My questions is

Should my skin peel after doing a chemical peel? I know this probably sounds stupid but I've been using the 40% glycolic peel for about 3 weeks,and I leave it on for 5 minutes and a few days letter my skin never peeels. It seems like my skin would need to peel in order for my scars to improve. I used those obagi products before and my skin peeleed a lot the first few days. It could be that I need a stronger peel or leave the 40% glycolic on longer ,, Please help

From what I have read, it depends on the chemical. Glycolic and Lactic Acids don't seem to make people peel, however TCA does appear to make people peel. I think that's something that will vary depending on many factors: the chemical, the PH, the strength, etc...

In all honesty I do not believe that using a chemical peel such as glycolic acid will reduce pitted scarring. I know that is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I just don't want you to get your hopes up. I think it's possible to improve the overall appearance of your skin with peels such as this. You are basically speeding up the process of exfoliation. Please don't leave the chemical on your face longer than recommended because you could burn yourself.

butterknife25, if you keep in mind that mild chemical peels don't work miracles overnight you will experience some very pleasant results on your very mild scarred skin at the end. But it might take several months before you notice some real improvement.

From what I have read, it is important to follow the guidelines for any peel.

Many of the Glycolic and Lactic acid peels claim that no noticeable peeling occurs after use.

The effects are gradual, but seem to be less dangerous in terms of causing scarring from acid burns or peeling.

You don't want to be so hasty that you trade one type of scar for another.

Best of luck, I am hoping to get some results for my mild scaring (hyperpigmentation) from doing a peel.

I will let you all know how it goes when I get the product and try it.

:smile:

Glycolic peels, no matter what strength you use are not truly corrective peels. They tone the skin and give a better appearance but will not remove scars. They are done in a series of 4 to 6 peels about 2 weeks apart but then you need to give your skin a rest, overuse of glycolics cause your skin to become resistant ot them. I have clients who can use 70% with almost no reaction because they have over used them. They can also be quite harsh so I rarely recommend them for darker skin. Even though I am a seller of Glycolics, I would prefer that you use the correct peel for the problem you are trying to correct. It is also very important to use a sunblock ( not sunscreen ) after any peel.