Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Had dermabrasion 3 months 1 day ago.

Had it for rolling/ice pick and other type scars.

Did an "oval" type spot about a 3 inch circumference oval on right cheek.

Am 3 months out and would say half the area has healed and is back to skin color but the other half is still somewhat red.

It fluctuates from pinkish to light pinkish in the early morning when it looks best (even then there is texture difference)...then changes to become darker based on if I wash my face off, or if I am in the gym working out hard or if my body heat rises a bit.

Has anyone dealt with hyperpigmentation in general? Furthermore has anyone dealt with this after dermabrasion?>

I read so many conflicting things for how long redness should last.

Some say it may be 8-12 weeks. Some say 2-4 months. Some say it could last 6 months to a year...some say even permanent.

My skin is VERY fair. I am white and light white at that.

I have avoided sun and wore sun screen for the first 3 months and used coverup makeup with spf 15 about 1.2 months out I started using that. I have stopped using makeup today and see if the makeup is slowing down healing/blending time.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Please share I really need some hope.

Had dermabrasion 3 months 1 day ago.

Had it for rolling/ice pick and other type scars.

Did an "oval" type spot about a 3 inch circumference oval on right cheek.

Am 3 months out and would say half the area has healed and is back to skin color but the other half is still somewhat red.

It fluctuates from pinkish to light pinkish in the early morning when it looks best (even then there is texture difference)...then changes to become darker based on if I wash my face off, or if I am in the gym working out hard or if my body heat rises a bit.

Has anyone dealt with hyperpigmentation in general? Furthermore has anyone dealt with this after dermabrasion?>

I read so many conflicting things for how long redness should last.

Some say it may be 8-12 weeks. Some say 2-4 months. Some say it could last 6 months to a year...some say even permanent.

My skin is VERY fair. I am white and light white at that.

I have avoided sun and wore sun screen for the first 3 months and used coverup makeup with spf 15 about 1.2 months out I started using that. I have stopped using makeup today and see if the makeup is slowing down healing/blending time.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Please share I really need some hope.

Hello. So let me give you my opinion. I would check with a dermatologist, as my information may be wrong. However, I have had dermabrasion done with sandpaper, at a very deep level.

Your skin is very fair, white as you said. I do not believe you are experiencing hyperpigmentation. If I was your dermatologist, and if I thought you were experiencing hyperpigmentation I would immediately put you on hydroquinone.

However in your situation, what I believe you are experiencing is erythema or prolonged redness. In my opinion this is not hyperpigmentation despite becoming darker when you wash your face. I would be cautious using hydroquinone on prolonged rednesss or erythema, because these are signs you might be open to HYPOpigmentation. Hypopigmention is usually preceeded by prolonged erythema. If you use hydroquinone you may be doing more damage than good.

Of course I can't see your face, and only your doctor can make an accurate call. I might be totally wrong.

Next, how long will it last? With my dermabrasion, it lasted 2 years. Yes that long. I'm a male and I couldn't cover up my whole face with makeup. It was sooo bad, if I went under the sun for even 5 mins I turned red. If I stood infront of the stove I turned red. I could never wash my face with warn water, only cold.

YOu are lucky you had only a small area done.

If I were you, I would not do anything for 3-6 more months. If the problem persists get a presciption for a mild-medium potency corticosteroid. After 2 yrs I was precribed this, and finally I had some relief from erythema. Topical steroids are dangerous, they can thin your skin and cause straie, so use under strict doctor control.

In closing, deffinately don't do anything yet for at least 3-6 months. Give your skin the ability and chance to heal on its own.

Also, its a good to to go in and check up on your doctor. If he thinks it's hyperpigmentation which I doubt, you might need to avoid all sun exposure and use spf. If it is erythema with possible early signs of early hypopigmentation, then very little sun exposure might be of some benefit.

I honestly think it is just erythema without hyper or hypo. You are just having prolonged erythema sadly, but very common in dermabrasion and traditional full face laser resurfacing.

Thank you for the post SanJose Skin.

I guess since I am considered Type I skin (by my own diagnosis mind you) I have the lightest skin that burns easiest and am "supposedly" the best candidate for a procedure for something like dermabrasion...

So basically I am stuck at the long haul. I should wait out another month...then see the doctor and talk it out.

Or see 2 doctors.

The nurse recommended me hydrocortisone over the phone for "only a week or 2...no more" but I didn't do it because I have read about what you are speaking of with these creams leaving permanent damage.

I am avoiding sun pretty much all the time. The most sun I see is walking from the car into my office. That is about it.

So basically I have to live like a recluse for the next year or so because of this lousy f***ing treatment that I basically got forced into... Not to say I am not bright enough to do my research...but I went in thinking I was going to do one thing then trusting me doc's recommendation to do dermabrasion I decided to do what he said.

Funny thing, the dermabrasion was supposed to heal a linear scar that was created by a subcision which he gave me 9 months ago.

So basically the linear scar is still there...however maybe slightly less...who knows? Can't really tell all I know is my skin doesn't look better.

Maybe when it is at it's lightest it looks a bit better...but I have a feeling that before I did the subcision and this procedure that my skin was better looking that it is now.

And the dermabrasion created a new scar above the dermabraded area or made it show a more apparent scar that was barely there before. Either way now my skin overall doesn't appear as natural.

It could turn out that my scars in dermabraded area will look better when all is said and done...but this whole process was not worth it at all.

What do you know about using tazorac or Retin A on dermabraded area?

What do you know about dermarolling also? Do you agree with the sentiment that it helps scarring?

Thanks again for your post.