Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Have you guys already seen acne (as a major problem or just as a detail) in any book or movie? I remember that there was a girl in Harry Potter which had acne and nobody wanted date (yeah, thank you, J. K. Rowling). Another thing that there was in Harry Potter was magical product which magically (really?) cures acne (then why that girl had acne? maybe the product was a kind of magical accutane that makes you wake up with a frog face :D ). I also remember a collection written by Stephen King called "Dark Tower" which had a symbolic rose that cured a guy with severe acne and a place that had an air so polluted that made the people who lived there having acne. In this place there were bird-mans who liked eating the pus from the humans. :X lol

Edited by Bolkonsky

I remember as a little kid, watching cartoons, that every so often there would be acne thrown into an episode. The person in the cartoon would always freak the fuck out and I wouldn't understand why. Sometimes the acne would even talk and conspire. :shifty: Anyway, I thought this thread was going to be about how people are perceived in our culture with acne. I mean, when I didn't have any legitimate acne, I would think people with acne were dirty. I know, silly me. It's sad because the only few people who will become enlightened, and realize that acne is just about as controllable as our economy, are ones who have been inflicted with this curse. If everyone truly understood, or cared to understand, we'd all have a much easier time dealing with it.

I guess that has been the norm for quite a while now , anyone with acne is considered abhorrent and repulsive , since acne is more prevalent now people are more empathic although deep down theyre still consistent in their hypocrisy.. sad but true

I've read all the Harry Potter books, but I don't remember those acne references probably because I didn't have acne or it wasn't bad. I'd remember for sure though if I read them now.

In the movie "The Stoned Age" there's one scene where the character Tack (played by Clifton Collins), complains about how no girl's ever going to like him because he's a "crater face". :boohoo: I winced a little when I heard that but it was still a hilarious movie overall.

I can't think of one film or book where acne is a topic of even featured except .... don't laugh but the musical Grease! Remember the guy called crater face in the car race? I didn't even understand what it meant when I was younger and I certainly didn't notice anything on his face. Watching it now I see he has acne scarring.

I swear I've seen some cartoon where there is a typical nerdy character with acne, glasses and a lisp.

Crap like this is what contributed to me being so obsessed with making sure I wasn't branded as "someone with acne" what ballbags!

Oh I just thought of another one - Kevin and Perry go large. The two girls who they try to chat up. Theres a scene where they both make themselves over to get into a club. It shows them squeezing some beautiful juicy but fake spots!

Still cant think or a serious film where acne is a serious subject?

Theres a section in the film called 'Smokin Aces' and there was a receptionist at the hotel desk who was covered in spots (obviously fake) and he was nervous/sweaty and stuttered quite alot.

I hate these misconceptions, we need a change in society and show acne isnt all that bad.

Edited by Kenny89

I think its because everyone has acne at some point in their lives and its just viewed as a part of life, rather than a problem that seriously affects people. MTV did a true life documentary on people affected by acne, but it never aired. You can probably find it on youtube. Acne kind of looks like a bruised elbow when you compare it to bigger issues like people with cancer, or people fighting a war, or like even midgets n stuff......

In the "Catcher in the rye" Holden Caulfields roomate, who is portrayed as a jerk, loser and a pain, had severe acne, which constant references were being made. Such as picking his gross pimples and crater face.

Have you guys already seen acne (as a major problem or just as a detail) in any book or movie? I remember that there was a girl in Harry Potter which had acne and nobody wanted date (yeah, thank you, J. K. Rowling). Another thing that there was in Harry Potter was magical product which magically (really?) cures acne (then why that girl had acne? maybe the product was a kind of magical accutane that makes you wake up with a frog face :D ). I also remember a collection written by Stephen King called "Dark Tower" which had a symbolic rose that cured a guy with severe acne and a place that had an air so polluted that made the people who lived there having acne. In this place there were bird-mans who liked eating the pus from the humans. :X lol

Dark tower series is a good one.

I've read all the Harry Potter books, but I don't remember those acne references probably because I didn't have acne or it wasn't bad. I'd remember for sure though if I read them now.

Yeah, same. I don't actually remember that at all in there.

I remember the Harry Potter girl. Her name was Eloise Midgen. I just read the books like a year ago (when I first started getting acne), and felt terrible when Ron was making fun of her.

Edited by Pottergeek22

Thank you, Pottergeek22. :D

I just found this:

Ron: "I'd rather go alone than with -- with Eloise Midgen, say."

Hermione: "Her acne's loads better lately -- and she's really nice!"

Ron: "Her nose is off-centre."

- Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger discussing the Yule Ball

Eloise Midgen (also spelled "Midgeon") was a Gryffindor/Hufflepuff student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry during the 1990s.

In 1994, because she had bad acne, Eloise tried using a curse to get rid of her pimples, but ended up needing to have her nose reattached by Madam Pomfrey. The incident left her nose permanently off-centre, but her acne did start to clear, at least for a while. Hermione Granger assured Ron Weasley that Eloise was a very nice person when he balked at the idea of taking her to the Yule Ball. Ron only wanted a good-looking girl, and refused to consider going with her.

The following year, Hermione warned that anyone who snitched after signing up for Dumbledore's Army would be struck with a jinx that would make Eloise's acne seem like "a couple of cute freckles".

Eloise was withdrawn from Hogwarts by her father, Mr. Midgen, in early September 1996, as the public's fear about the threat posed by Lord Voldemort's return mounted.

Edited by Bolkonsky