Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcnePwns

Just had subcision and V-Beam done today

After having saline subcision done just 5 weeks ago, with disappointing results, I decided to get traditional (with nokor needle) done. I also had the V-Beam laser done for my red marks.

The doctor that I went to started off with the V-Beam for my red marks which lasted for 10-15 minutes. It didn't really hurt at all. It is not pain-free but very tolerable. After the V-Beam, I had a bunch of purpura spots where he treated, which was expected. He went with a high setting, but no the highest.

After the V-Beam, I had subcision done with an 18g nokor needle. The nurse gave me some numbing shots before and I did not feel a thing. There was an area that was not numbed that he subcised but the pain is very tolerable.

During the subcision, the doctor noticed some spots he missed with the V-Beam and decided to hit to spots with the V-Beam.

I look like a monster right now. I have about 30-40 dark purpura spots from the V-Beam. The V-Beam definitely is making me look worse than the subcision. I have pretty intense bruising and swelling from subcision but the purpura from the V-Beam is by far more noticeable. I do not mind though because the more bruising and aggressive the treatment, the better the results. I also have 10 days to recover. I'm not sure why this laser is advertised as little to no downtime. Maybe that is the case at a low setting.

If anybody in the SoCal area is looking for a doctor for treatment of their scars, PM me because this is by far the best doctor I've been to. The staff is extremely nice and helpful also.

Edited by AcnePwns

Vbeam pwns. haha I had it done, too. I had great results; all pigmentation was eradicated. Really cool.

And indeed, high settings with purpura give you some downtime for sure. In my case, the purpura went away after a few days but you could tell that the skin was still recovering for a long time after that.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if you didn't get good results from the Vbeam. :)

Edited by I do not have acne

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yea Vbeam definitely pwns. I can't figure out how on earth it is advertised as little to no downtime haha.

I look so horrible right now but I know my skin will look MUCH better soon enough. Though I could have asked for a lighter setting, I know that once I recover, I will not regret it.

BTW how long did it take for your skin to recover to the point where it is nearly impossible to notice your skin is still recovering?

I am in school right now and don't want to take too many days off

Well, a long time. We're talking months here. About 4 to be exact. But I was wounded during the treatment. Had that not happened, it would have been a lot shorter... Uhm, I think then it would have been a matter of weeks instead of months. About 5 to be exact. lol But in my case, there was brown that came in place of the red. Because when they take away red, the stuff in your skin that makes it the color that it is, gets changed causing a brown hue to appear. At least that's what my derm told me. And that could only be taken away 5 weeks later with a ruby laser. But I haven't heard many people on here talk about a brown hue so it might not happen in your case either. In which case those ten days you mentoned are more than enough time for the purpura to go away (in my case the purpura was gone after 2-3 days) and your skin to settle down after the treatment to a point where you won't have any reason to be self-conscious.

How were you wounded during the treatment?

Well I did get subcision done at the same time so technically I am wounded too lol

Well, the derm he used a very, very high setting. I mean I looked like an eggplant afterwards. And at those settings you have the risk of burning the skin.

It's what happened to me. It caused a scab to appear which didn't go away for weeks and when it did, a lot of new, smaller scabs appeared which stayed for months. It was a real horror story. :(

Well I did get subcision done at the same time so technically I am wounded too lol

haha Yeah, you did. Seriously though, that's gotta add to the amount of downtime. But you've got ten days, right? You should basically be fine after those, I think.

Edited by I do not have acne

Yea I'm sure I will be at least 80% recovered by 10 days. Worse case scenario, if it's still really bad after 10 days, I guess I will have to email my teachers and tell them I have the H1N1 flu or something. At least two of my classes on completely online. I'm gonna go crazy if I stay in for too long though.

Hi everybody. I was banned from the board but re-granted permission. I won't say what I was banned for because it might result in me getting banned again lol.

Anyways... here is a 4 day update.

V-Beam:

Most of the purpura marks have faded about 20-40% but still have a few spots that were treated extra aggressive that are still dark purple. I believe these spots were treated the most aggressively with subcision as well and that is likely why it is not healing as fast. It looks like bruises and scabs. The spots that have faded are not red instead of dark purple. I still look like crap though.

Subcision:

I am disappointed that my doctor missed quite a number of scars that I wanted subcised. I believe he missed most of these spots because after I got the V-Beam done, my face was swelling up already and made my more shallow scars disappear. I believe that the areas that he subcised aggressively will have good results but it's too bad I didn't get a number of scars subcised. I am starting to get yellow bruising as well but that will subside in the next 5 days.

I have a lot of scars I think... most of them are from the last year alone. I used to rarely scar before that. Now nearly every zit leaves a scar.

I'm also a bit upset because I got 4-5 new zits over the last week which will likely leave more scars. ARGGH!! I was barely breaking out before that. I hope to god they don't scar but I know the odds are very much against me.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can get my doctor to treat ALL of my scars with subcision next time? Maybe I should ask him let me mark each scar with a pen the next time.

Edited by AcnePwns

Hi everybody. I was banned from the board but re-granted permission. I won't say what I was banned for because it might result in me getting banned again lol.

Anyways... here is a 4 day update.

V-Beam:

Most of the purpura marks have faded about 20-40% but still have a few spots that were treated extra aggressive that are still dark purple. I believe these spots were treated the most aggressively with subcision as well and that is likely why it is not healing as fast. It looks like bruises and scabs. The spots that have faded are not red instead of dark purple. I still look like crap though.

Subcision:

I am disappointed that my doctor missed quite a number of scars that I wanted subcised. I believe he missed most of these spots because after I got the V-Beam done, my face was swelling up already and made my more shallow scars disappear. I believe that the areas that he subcised aggressively will have good results but it's too bad I didn't get a number of scars subcised. I am starting to get yellow bruising as well but that will subside in the next 5 days.

I have a lot of scars I think... most of them are from the last year alone. I used to rarely scar before that. Now nearly every zit leaves a scar.

I'm also a bit upset because I got 4-5 new zits over the last week which will likely leave more scars. ARGGH!! I was barely breaking out before that. I hope to god they don't scar but I know the odds are very much against me.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I can get my doctor to treat ALL of my scars with subcision next time? Maybe I should ask him let me mark each scar with a pen the next time.

Hey, I wish I had told you this before you got your subcision done. A huge huge huge problem in subcision is doctors missing scars. why does this occur? because of lidocaine injections I think! Or it might be general swelling from starting the sub in one area.

When they numb your face, everything swells and the doctor can no longer see your individual scars.

How to resolove this? Demand that you mark ALL your spots with a permanent marker before the dcotor numbs you.

A better solution to the problem, subcsion should be done with you put under, or just enough anesthsia where you are awake but can't feel too much pain. This way your face is NOT swollen and the doctor can see each scar.

PLEASE AVOID a doctor with no experience who perfoms wide sweeps. Ignore ignore ignore wide sweeps. I had a doctor perform wide sweeps all over my right cheek. I believe he did this because he could not see my scars from the swelling, so he did blind sweeps in the entire area. Bad idea, jerk performed subcision in HEALTHY tissue. I have since lived with long term over-correction. my cheak is never going to be the same. This was done at Stanford.

You need to be assertive with doctors, not passive. I was always passive in the past, I had a fear of doctors. However, it is your body. Be assertive!

Luckily you have a very open minded kind doctor. Next time ask your doctor if you can please fill in or circle all your scars with a pen before being numbed up.

Don't worry, it will turn out okay.

I also suggest, you please please please call your doctor right now, have them phone into your pharmacy a prescription for DUAC. Duac works wonders. Spot treat the zits you have, and they will disappear with DUAC. Call him right now! don't risk more scars

Edited by sanjoseskin

SanJose,

Do you think Duac will work? I've tried proactive, murad, BP and so many other products but they do not work after a while. What makes Duac different?

Also, I think Dr Rullan only treated the scarred and did not do wide weeps. He told me that he was going in a piston motion as opposed to the windshield motion.

Edited by AcnePwns

SanJose,

Do you think Duac will work? I've tried proactive, murad, BP and so many other products but they do not work after a while. What makes Duac different?

Also, I think Dr Rullan only treated the scarred and did not do wide weeps. He told me that he was going in a piston motion as opposed to the windshield motion.

hey, no i was not implying that he did wide sweeps, i was just giving a general warning to avoid sub in healthy tissue.

Do I think duac works? It seems to be very effective, but acne is tricky, what works for one person may not for another. Duac is low percentage BP mixed with clindamycin which is an anti-biotic.

If you have insurance or the money then it can't hurt, worth a try, better than getting more scars.

If you don't have insurance or can't afford duac, here is the cheaper alternative. First off call your pharmacy and get pricing for Duac... then get pricing for clindamycin topical GEL. I imagine the clindamycin topical GEL will be drastically cheaper. Get a prescriptin for this gel, then puchase over the counter 5 percent BP, mix the two in your palm, and you apply onto your zit. This mixture is essentially DUAC.

I've had instances where I apply duac, an I wake up with the zit totally gone. Other times i've applied it for days and the zit persists. It is however my favorite zit zapper of choice.

Today is the 5th day after my treatments. Spots are lightening so more by I still have bruises, scabs, swelling, lumps but they are getting better each day. I've been hiding in my cave these last 5 days and I'm starting to go a little crazy :crazy2: .

I noticed there are more scars that he missed with subcision, unfortunately. I think I will skip the numbing shots the next time I do it to reduce swelling. The pain is not that bad. I did not have any numbing shots when I had saline subcision done 6 weeks ago and the doctor missed less spots. I am definitely going to ask my doctor to let me pick out all of my scars and mark them with a pen the next time I go in for subcision, which is during Spring Break. I wish I could actually enjoy my breaks without having to look like a monster for a week and hide from everybody. But to get what you want in life, you have to make some sacrifices.

Gravyman,

My only camera is my iPhone which takes crappy pictures. My face is still not fully recovered right now so pictures at this moment is pointless. If you want, i can ask my doctor to take pictures(when I am fully recovered) the next time I go in and send it to me.

Does anybody know how soon you are supposed to notice results from the V-Beam? This is day 6 and it does not seem that my red marks have faded that much.

Gravy,

I have mostly rolling scars anywhere from shallow to deep. I also have some boxcar and ice picks but not many so I'm not too worried about those.

As for the post-treatment, from subcision alone, you will have bruising and swelling. The bruises may cause a discoloration in your skin to purple, blue or red. It will last a week to a couple months I would say. Most of it will be gone after the first week for sure though.

I recall you mentioning about visiting Dr. Chen for saline subcision. I already had saline subcision done by Dr. Chen, however, people (including my current doctor) tell me that traditional subcision is more effective. My current doctor does both saline subcision and traditional subcision and Dr. Chen actually learned the saline subcision technique from him. I believe he was an apprentice.

Unfortunately, Dr. Chen only performs saline subcision and not traditional. You can expect the post-treatment of saline subcision to be a little more mild than traditional.

I appreciate you for sharing, but your description is a little too general to visualize what your face looks like. Photos speak louder, I think, and if you can get your hands on a camera, it will be great if you can share your progress with visuals (like mr. matt, who's been an inspiration to me and likely many others).

Anyway, your right. From what I understand, saline subcision is a milder treatment than traditional subcision, because the needle is thinner and the procedure not as aggressive. And this is precisely the reason why I want to start with saline subcision and TCA cross--these treatments are on the safer side of those available. I will probably give these a go for 3-6 appointments, and if the results are disappointing, I will probably move up to subcision and v-beam like you.

Day 9 update:

At least 90% of the purpura is gone. I was expecting it to take a few days longer. So far, I believe 10%-20% of the redness is gone, I was expecting more from the V-Beam. The redmarks may fade even more the next weeks or so, I don't know. I do have some good news, however. I noticed that a few of my scars that he treated are gone (or nearly gone). One wide scar I had on my forehead appears that it is completely gone at this point. I know there is still a bit of bruising and swelling, but not much. If I have 70%+ improvement in these scars after the bruising/swelling fully subsides, I'd be very happy still. It's an encouraging sign that subcision is working. If only my doctor treated all of my scars, I would probably be more optimistic. At least I know that subcision is working for me.

There is very little bruising and swelling at this point. I still have about 4-5 small scabs at the areas he treated aggressively with V-Beam, but I am sure it will fall off within the next 2 or 3 days.

So my impression so far is that subcision works quite well(traditional anyway), however, I was hoping for more improvement from the V-Beam especially from the aggressive treatment. The redness does not bother me that much though since it is only temporary. Scars are almost always permanent, therefore I would much rather fix scars than redness that will eventually go away.

I would say it is pretty safe to go out on day 8, especially at night without looking like a monster. I expect the downtime for subcision alone will be slightly less than the subcision and V-Beam.

I am going in for my second round of subcision in 5 weeks (Spring Break). I wish I could enjoy my breaks but hey, I would much rather improve my scars. I am hoping to have significant improvement by the Summer, so I can enjoy it without thinking about my scars subconsciously.

Damn.. 70% after one treatment..? Do you have any pictures online?

Also, did u ever try laser?

The answers can be found above

V-Beam is the only last I've had done. I don't plan on doing any other lasers (invasive anyways).

I've had one saline subcision done 5 weeks prior to this treatment with disappointing results. I've done a number of mild glycolic peels for redness, but it doesn't really help with scars.

Just curious, where is the doctor you're going to to get treatments? I'm having trouble finding people in the area that offer it.

Just curious, where is the doctor you're going to to get treatments? I'm having trouble finding people in the area that offer it.

South San Diego; Chula Vista

Edited by AcnePwns