Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
recoverme

Is This Diet Thing Worth it EVEN if you are UNHAPPY?

What is healthier and will lead to clearer skin..

a healthy diet but you are so unhappy and always thinking about food

verse

Eat Whatever you want (balanced though) and just living your life without worrying about acne?

Definitely the second. You won't find many people who are fixated on sleeping and eating right actually living right, or healthy for that matter. Just go to the health food stores and you'll see a bunch of people, who aren't sick, but seem kind of "off." Well, it's because they are. They are busy trying to fix something that may not be broken.

At the end of the day, life shouldn't be focused on eating, no matter how you do it; there is so much more to life. And don't think that people who eat whatever they want AREN't fixated on food. They are even more so, because eating has become their comfort and consolation.

I believe getting a serious hobby is a better remedy for the anxiety and emotional fluctuations associated with acne than eating healthy. Play some music. Go out with friends. If you feel self-conscious, learn a new language, go for walks at night, develop a talent. All these are more worthwhile than cutting gluten one minute, eating a bunch fish oil capsules the next, and then megadosing B5. After all that experimenting, you'll ask yourself: what for? How did I ever get so far from who I'm supposed to be?!

What is healthier and will lead to clearer skin..

a healthy diet but you are so unhappy and always thinking about food

verse

Eat Whatever you want (balanced though) and just living your life without worrying about acne?

Edited by john1234

It's kind of a vicious cycle though. Your acne gets so bad that you don't want people to see you, so you don't go out and do the things that make you happy, and so you stay home and obsess about your acne, what you're eating, if you accidentally touched your finger to your face...you get the point. But when your acne clears up, you feel better about yourself and go out more... and probably let your "health routine" go. Personally, I can't go out (w/o being self-conscious the entire time) when my face looks horrible. So I try to take 2-3 things that benefit you the most from your super healthy routine, and add them to your laid back, live life routine. And I completely agree with John1234, if you're happy you'll probably be too distracted to worry about acne anyway :)

I used to think about this as trading one unhappiness for another. When I first tried dieting, I went at it hardcore. I never let myself slip up once and it made me upset that I couldn't eat anything I love. So now I'm still dieting but I give myself a little wiggle room, I try not to obsess about food while still eating as healthy as possible. I'm also finding that over time it gets easier to give up things you used to eat alot.

I must admit I have learned a lot through this forum so far..

but I have come to realize that coming to the org just reminds me that I have acne, and it makes me stress over it, which makes it worse.

I'm starting to wonder if everything is MIND over MATTER?.. maybe it's a placebo effect?

I used to think about this as trading one unhappiness for another. When I first tried dieting, I went at it hardcore. I never let myself slip up once and it made me upset that I couldn't eat anything I love. So now I'm still dieting but I give myself a little wiggle room, I try not to obsess about food while still eating as healthy as possible. I'm also finding that over time it gets easier to give up things you used to eat alot.

Yeah I agree with you on that strategy. I think we should schedule 1 or 2 (or more) "cheat" days a week for purely psychological reasons.

Yep. I used to obsess mainly over sugar. If something had ANY sugar in it, I would not eat it. That's just so unreasonable looking back, because almost everything has at least a little sugar in it. I even eat a pizza here and there and maybe get a little breakout from it but it's worth it.

Well, I don't know why eating healthy makes you so unhappy. Can't you do it without obsessing?

Personally, I just eat way more good than bad, with most meals being very good, nutritionally dense, anti-inflammatory foods. And I only cheat on favorites. It has to be damn good, and most commercially made food just isn't that good.

Well, I don't know why eating healthy makes you so unhappy. Can't you do it without obsessing?

Personally, I just eat way more good than bad, with most meals being very good, nutritionally dense, anti-inflammatory foods. And I only cheat on favorites. It has to be damn good, and most commercially made food just isn't that good.

yea thats' what I'm saying.. moderation.

I am just unhappy when my diet is STRICT.. I feel like people say you gotta do this but it also stresses you out..

so my question is which option is better?

yea thats' what I'm saying.. moderation.

I am just unhappy when my diet is STRICT.. I feel like people say you gotta do this but it also stresses you out..

so my question is which option is better?

That's exactly what Alternativista is saying. There is no "better option". For me, eating healthy makes me happy. How healthy? Pretty healthy. Yummy healthy. Obsessive healthy? Hell no. I cheat. Everyone cheats. :lol: Healthy isn't just your physical health, it's mental. What was the last time you smiled? Laughed? Joked? Hung out with friends?

Come on and get out there. Be healthy. But stop freaking out about everything you eat, because it's not worth it.

^_^

Giving up lectins in food has effected my mind for the better. I tried eating barley the other day and could feel cognitive tension the next day. I am extremely happier and less anxious. I suspect it's the opiates in gluten mostly that helped, but could be the fact my digestion is tremendously better.

Instead of thinking about how it could help you're mental health indirectly, less self-conscience through healing acne, think about how it could help you directly.

Instead of thinking about how it could help you're mental health indirectly, less self-conscience through healing acne, think about how it could help you directly.

This is true. There are many nutrients and habits that specifically help mental health and they tend to be the same ones that help acne and all the degenerative conditions now common in America that you could be preventing in yourself.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...80#entry2679680

I can see the sense to this, I used to take cold showers and yeah it helped my chest acne, significantly actually... but it actually took quite a toll on me mentally, I know it sounds weird I mean it's only a cold shower right? But after months of it I would start to dread waking up in the morning because I knew I had to go through this extremely unpleasant experience and then even after my shower, when I was dry and had gotten dressed I would shiver for like an hour.

I only recently stopped taking my really cold showers and yeah the chest acne is coming back a little bit but I actually enjoy taking a shower now, and getting up in the morning.

Best of luck to you all.

Edited by gda_11