Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shardo

Starting Accutane

First of all I will say a bit about myslef. I have always had some acne throughout highschool but was never too bad just a few pimples and the odd breakout once I hit college I started getting mad breakouts and absolutley hate it! its been on an off like this for the past year and a half. So I decided to start Accutane. Its been 3 days so far. I am moisturizing face twice a day as well as lips and hands. I try to drink lots of water daily. I have to change my lifestyle a bit too.. My lifestyle consists of normally relaxing/working during the week. then once the weekend hits I tend to binge drink..I was thinking of just keeping the weekend nights much more casual... like keeping it to a 4 drink max at a time..

any recommendations or thoughts?

Thanks,

Ryan.

be careful with the drinking cuz as u know, accutane puts strain on ur liver, thats another reason why they monitor it extensively with the blood work. i drank on accutane. not as much as i did before but i did. i made sure how my first couple bloodworks came out and how my body was handeling the medicine without alcohol. so i didn't drink at the beginning and my bloodwork was perfect for the first two months. then summer hit so i started to drink maybe once everyother week. a couple drinks maybe. my blooodwork was still good. then by the end of the summer, i maybe drank, 4 drinks 3 different nights for one week. then in the fall, had a couple nights where i drank 7 drinks or so. but everytime i got my bloodwork done my results were perfect. i would take it easy at first, see how ur body reacts, and then ease into the drinking. i wouldn't drink heavily every weekend. but a night here and there is fine. by heavily i mean 7 or 8 drinks not like..10 or 15. thats crazyyy. not puking passed out drunk. bad bad.

it depends on the person, some people can handle it some can't

and, i found that, my tolerance lowered on accutane. so maybe 2 drinks on accutane will have the same effect on u as four. it defiantly lowered my tolerance.

just ease into it and see how the aclohol effects ur bloodwork.

and have fun. its college!! and in 6 months ull have clear skin :)

yea i had a similar story. I'm on my 2nd day of accutane, and i this weekend is ginna be boring as shit. I'm definitly gonna take it easy and wait till the first months blood work comes in so im not gonna fck around. My friend was on it a while ago and got wasted every weekend and when he drank he had crazy mood swings and freaked out a lot, i think his blood work must have passed tho. Its realy up to you, but if you dont pass the first blood work becasue you drank and cant take it anymore than that will suck. And just remember accutane is a pretty serious drug

:banana:

yea i had a similar story. I'm on my 2nd day of accutane, and i this weekend is ginna be boring as shit. I'm definitly gonna take it easy and wait till the first months blood work comes in so im not gonna fck around. My friend was on it a while ago and got wasted every weekend and when he drank he had crazy mood swings and freaked out a lot, i think his blood work must have passed tho. Its realy up to you, but if you dont pass the first blood work becasue you drank and cant take it anymore than that will suck. And just remember accutane is a pretty serious drug

:banana:

Thanks and Appreciate the feedback. Yeah I hear yah on boring weekends... Im gonna offer to my buddies to be the designated driver if they go out this weekend. that way I can still get out.. may not be as fun but Its the way its gotta be.. thats crazy about your bud. I def. wont be getting wasted..

be careful with the drinking cuz as u know, accutane puts strain on ur liver, thats another reason why they monitor it extensively with the blood work. i drank on accutane. not as much as i did before but i did. i made sure how my first couple bloodworks came out and how my body was handeling the medicine without alcohol. so i didn't drink at the beginning and my bloodwork was perfect for the first two months. then summer hit so i started to drink maybe once everyother week. a couple drinks maybe. my blooodwork was still good. then by the end of the summer, i maybe drank, 4 drinks 3 different nights for one week. then in the fall, had a couple nights where i drank 7 drinks or so. but everytime i got my bloodwork done my results were perfect. i would take it easy at first, see how ur body reacts, and then ease into the drinking. i wouldn't drink heavily every weekend. but a night here and there is fine. by heavily i mean 7 or 8 drinks not like..10 or 15. thats crazyyy. not puking passed out drunk. bad bad.

it depends on the person, some people can handle it some can't

and, i found that, my tolerance lowered on accutane. so maybe 2 drinks on accutane will have the same effect on u as four. it defiantly lowered my tolerance.

just ease into it and see how the aclohol effects ur bloodwork.

and have fun. its college!! and in 6 months ull have clear skin :)

Thanks for the reply! I dont know too many people that took accutane, its good to hear your experience. What dosage did you take? and how long did it take to notice your skin beginning to clear up?

well, id say roaccutane/accutane or other isotretinoin brands is the end of the line for recalcitrant acne. i had lots of nodulocystic at age 25 before but now im totallly clear out of acne after 3 months roaccutane. i will surely continue this for 6 months. well about the cost, i found a store wherein they only sell it for like $65 per box for the 10mg and only $99 for the 20mg if im not mistaken. here's the link ***Mod Edit: URL removed. Please read the Board Rules*** to all those who r taking it, dont be discouraged from the first month of intake coz for sure you'll gonna experience flare up but will surely subside on the 2nd month of intake. :)

I'm on my second week of accutane( 80mg/day). Not being able to drink sucks. I had two beers the other day but I just want to play it safe and make sure this shit works. My girlfriend took it and she said she would drink often. Her skin is perfect now. Just don't drink too much.

I'm on my second week of accutane( 80mg/day). Not being able to drink sucks. I had two beers the other day but I just want to play it safe and make sure this shit works. My girlfriend took it and she said she would drink often. Her skin is perfect now. Just don't drink too much.

Yeah I feel your pain man, yah thats my plan too.. thanks for the feedback good luck

heyy sorry, its a late reply.

month 1- 40mg

month 2- 40mg

month 3- 60mg

month 4- 60mg

month5- 60mg

month 6- 60mg

*month 7- 30mg (i went on an extra month)

my experience was interesting. im a 17 year old girl. started breaking out.. about 4 years ago. went on everything from proactiv to antibotics and topicals. nothing worked. i have mild/moderate acne. and after 4 years i had no other options so i went on accutane.

first two months i had a horrible initial breakout. it brought out EVERYTHING. those months were tough. huge cysts and my skin was the worst it has ever been. plus it was like..right at the beginning of summer

then, after the first two months my oily skin (which is bad) went away

from about month 3 to 4 my skin SLOWLY got better. breakouts were still there. but certain areas got smoother.

my skin did however, get more red and dry so make sure u moisturize alot and use aquaphor for ur lips, its the best stuff

most of my course was during the summer so i had to worry about the sun and burning. when u get into the spring months make sure u wear sunscreen constantly. and high numbers like 80 and 90.

then month 5 to 6 my skin got to a point where i had a good 3 or 4 breakouts constantly but it didn't get worse or better. so they put me on an extra month where they lowered the dose. and actually my skin got a tad better with the lowered dose. it didn't seem as red or irritated

the strange thing is that, i've been off for about 2 months. and my skin is better than it was when i was on accutane. its not red or dry. i still breakout (but its hormonal) usually a breakout or two. However, they are much much much smaller and they go away faster. In addition, after accutane my red marks started to fade so that made my skin look better as well

the only bad part is that oily skin DOES come back (not as bad but it still comes back) i have an appointment coming up and im planning on going on spirolactone. (not sure if you've heard of it, but its a hormonal treatment and im gunna go on that to help with the few breakouts i still get)

all in all, its worth it. even if u don't clear up all the way, its not nearly as bad as before, its more managble, its smoother, and easier to deal with. im glad i took it.

Good luck with ur course!! and hopefully u do clear up completely!!