Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Siava

Am I the only one that hates lipstick?

Are there other ladies out there that hate the way lipstick feels? Maybe I just haven't found the right one or technique, but it feels so thick and seems to fade 'n feather so quickly. Are there any tips from those that wear it daily? I'm such a low maintenance person and wouldn't mind reapplying it ONCE throughout the day, but any of the long lasting ones I've tried dry out and leave my lips looking like discolored prunes.

I can't stand lipstick, but I'm a nut for lip balms. You could try Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers. They feel like balms (and have a nice, minty tingle), and they've got nice, sheer colors. Not as heavy-duty as lipstick, but a little more dressed up than lip balms. They're the only kind of lip color I wear.

I've tried Champagne, Rhubarb, Fig, and the clear (but very frosty/shimmery) Radiance. The Champagne and Radiance were both a little too light and frosty for me, since I like a more natural, pinkish lip, and the Rhubarb was just a little too pink-y for me, but the Fig is pretty great (as long as I blot, or it's just a smidge too dark for my complexion). They have a new color called Peony that I'm pretty excited to try. : )

I've got the Rhubarb one and love the tingly way it feels going on, but yea...it's a bit too dark. Hmm! I'll have to check out the other colors. I'm guessing Peony is a light pinky purple?

Edited by Siava

It looks like it's almost a natural lip-colored pink. On Makeup Alley, quite a few reviewers referred to it as a "MLBB" shade (I had to look MLBB up--it stands for "My Lips, But Better").

It does look like it's going to be a frostier color, which I'm not necessarily down with, since I tend to go more for the less shimmery colors, but I'm definitely willing to give it a try. I'll nab a tube when I go to Ulta either this week or next week, and I'll let you know what I think of it.

I love lipstick! I feel naked without it!

I've worn Avon Perfect Wear lipstick for probably 20 years now. I love that stuff. It's longwearing and doesn't do any of that feathering nonsense. :)

The only other thing I wear on my lips is the Dr Pepper flavored lipbalm that Mandy suggested a few years ago. Lip Smackers. It's lightly tinted and flavored!

The only other thing I wear on my lips is the Dr Pepper flavored lipbalm that Mandy suggested a few years ago. Lip Smackers. It's lightly tinted and flavored!

Hehe, I use that stuff too. It feels a little... I dunno... greasier(?) than Burt's lip balms, but it does add a hint of color that can be very flattering and subtle. I've kept a Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker in my purse since, like, junior high (obviously, not the same one, but...). ; )

I'm a huge, huge fan of Burt's Bees balms and stuff, so I think they're totally worth the price. I use my regular Burt's balms--the original beeswax balm and the replenishing balm with pomegranate oil--pretty much every day, and I use the Lip Shimmers when I'm going out (although, lately, I've been Lip Shimmering it up around the house, just as a little "I feel pretty"-type pick-me-up), and they all last pretty much forever, so I tend to look at them as investments, lol. : )

Try a stain! I use Tarte Rise and Shine. Costs a pretty penny, but lasts forever. I put the stain end on once in the morning, let it set, apply a lip balm. No touch ups, lasts about 10 hours. I never use the gloss end, gloss makes me feel dirty. Not in a good way either.

and the plumping claim is BS, it does no such thing.

Edited by ayla

I've never tried a stain. Hmm! I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for that, Ayla. I've never tried that Avon brand either, Brandy. There's a gal at work that sells it on the side. I'll hit her up for some. Thanks y'all! :)

I cant stand the feel of lipstick, but Im addicted to chapstick. Chapstick has True Shimmer that i will use if I ever want to use any kind of lipstick.

Can't stand lipstick. I think it always makes everything look a little TOO much...plus it's annoying to wear. I always just go for a simply chapstick. A lot of them are made in colors too. So I agree with all of the suggestions above!

Whelp, I finally picked up the Peony Lip Shimmer, and I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed.

It might be a good shade if your lips are naturally on the pale side, but mine are naturally a nice pink color, and the Peony Lip Shimmer doesn't seem to add any color to my lips at all. My lips and the Lip Shimmer actually seem to be pretty much the exact same color. The only thing the Lip Shimmer does on my lips is leave the color looking a little frosted.

So yeah, again, if you have pale lips, the Peony Lip Shimmer might be just right for adding a hint of color, but for me, it was kind of a waste of five dollars. : (

Lipstick I hate if I had dry lips because its more noticeable! But lipgloss is my best friend! :wub:

And also Lipstick has alot of weird chemicals, so does lipgloss but I tend to make it disappear? I guess I ate it or it went on a cup! Hahaha I hate when that happens.

Guys always wonder where it went then ask their girl. Then they realize its on their lips now! Venom much :) GRANDMA KISSES ARE THE WORST! My brother would cry his freakin eyes out for hours trying to wash it off! Its hard to get off!

Lipgloss all the way!

Edited by x.Kiki.x

I really hate lipstick too, but lip gloss is worse. Why would you want to smear sticky stuff all over your lips? It looks great on some people, but I hate it on me.

Part of that is just my general dislike for makeup, since I have to wear it every day. Well, not HAVE to. But I have to.

Anyway.

I'm like C'est, I love lip balms. I always have my Burt's Bees lip balm with pomegranate oil with me. It keeps my lips rather soft, add a tiny touch of color, and is never sticky.

:wub:

I'm a fan of balms, although there are a few L'Oreal lipsticks I keep for special occasions (ie, not all day every day wear).

My favorite, though, is taking Aquaphor, putting it on my lips like a balm, and then dabbing my finger in my favorite mineral blush (for me it is Evening Out, by Everyday Minerals), and then smoothing the blush into the Aquaphor. Subtle, and coordinates nicely with the blush.

Also the Aquaphor keeps my lips nice and smooth.

I'm like C'est, I love lip balms. I always have my Burt's Bees lip balm with pomegranate oil with me. It keeps my lips rather soft, add a tiny touch of color, and is never sticky.

:wub:

That's my favorite lip balm ever. I have them stashed all over. : D

I have been reading about parabens and how they are used as a preservative in most cosmetics and toileteries and since lip products are most likely to get ingested a bit, I am now going to use only natural, paraben free organic lip balms. I was never a fan of lipsticks but I was sad to find that the chapsticks I regularly use also have parabens. Parabens mimic hormones and can be harmful....

This question is made for me because I'm a lipstick gal! I don't really wear lipgloss because it makes my lips look swollen and fat so I have to stick to lipstick.

However I agree that lipstick can be a pain to wear, you gotta maintain your lips well otherwise the imperfections will show. What I normally do to my lips before I apply lipstick is to exfoliate with a toothbrush, apply lipbalm and lipliner before the lipstick. The lipliner will make your lipstick last longer and prevent it from feathering. I normally just use clear lipliner from the bodyshop as I don't want that rim around my lip edges.

Maybelline's moisture extreme and the color sensational lines are pretty good drugstore lipsticks that won't dry out your lips.

^ I use Burt's Bees lip balm in lieu of lipstick, as well. Same with lipgloss, I hate that tacky feeling. Burt's Bees is always too dark for me though, but dabbing a little on and blending it usually does the trick.

Edited by Deadbeat007