Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uncle buck

Noise during sleep

I want to find out what everyone here's sleep quality is like. Does anyone sleep near main roads / in busy areas or in a busy house with constant noise during sleep. Do you think that impacts your health? Do you find yourself getting tired during the day?

I'm curious to find out if noise affects our sleep DURING the sleep, i'm not talking about how long it takes to get to sleep. Sure, we don't hear anything because we're asleep, but we still have ears and our body could still be impacted by it.

I have a theory that the reason I got acne and my brother didn't (instead he gained a bit of weight) is because I sleep in the front room of the house right outside a busy road with noticable noise, and his room is at the back where you can't hear anything. It could relate to more stress on the adrenals or mess with hormones or something.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

My house comes up from a driveway so I'm a decent amount away from the road; even if I was close it's not busy whatsoever anyways.

I do however sleep with a fan on and sometimes even my TV. I'm extremely paranoid and I can't NOT have noise. Otherwise, every little sound I hear literally terrifies me until I find out what it is. I need things to drown out little noises. And light. The light from the TV makes me feel safer.

Noise and light certainly does affect your health, I learned this from Denise Austin :dance:

I used to live next to a highway, next to idiots who partied all the time and people who stomped around upstairs.

It took me a while to fall asleep. The traffic noise continued through the entire night...it was obviously constant. It really didn't have an impact on my skin.

When I moved back to a quieter area, my skin never got better. When I lived in a quieter area before ever moving there, my skin was the same.

The only noise I can't tolerate while sleeping is bass and television. It prevents me from going into a deep sleep.

Other than that, no, the constant noise outside never really impacted my skin much.

Nopes. I usually get 10-12 hours of good sleep :]

Oh my. You're getting far too much sleep.

Too much sleep is just as dangerous as too little. There are studies indicating that people who sleep for more than 9 hours a night do not live as long as those who sleep only 7-9 for whatever reason. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/physi...sleeping?page=2

Too much sleep is just as dangerous as too little. There are studies indicating that people who sleep for more than 9 hours a night do not live as long as those who sleep only 7-9 for whatever reason. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/physi...sleeping?page=2

One shouldn't get cause and effect confused. Association is not the same as causation. Sleep is one way in which the body tries to repair itself. If a person is already sick, they'd likely need more sleep.

Also it is absolutely normal for teens to sleep more than adults, teens sleep on average 11 hours a night.

I sleep a lot when I don't have classes..like about 11 hours. I sleep about 8 hours when I've classes. Also, who cares if someone lives longer than another if we're all gonna die anyway?

It's quiet where I am, not near a busy road or anything, but I only sleep 4-5 hours a night (not good I know, has been a problem for as long as I can remember) the only time i can get 8 or more is at a weekend and if i have nothing scheduled (which is never but hey ho).

One shouldn't get cause and effect confused. Association is not the same as causation. Sleep is one way in which the body tries to repair itself. If a person is already sick, they'd likely need more sleep.

Also it is absolutely normal for teens to sleep more than adults, teens sleep on average 11 hours a night.

I'm referring to average adults - not sick ones or teenagers. Even then, 12 hours is excessive. Most teenagers only need from 8-11 hours of sleep.

There are tons of research articles on the negative effects of sleeping too much. Yes, too much sleep can be a symptom of other things, but that may not always be the case.

http://thefutureofthings.com/news/1026/don...t-kill-you.html

That is a flawed study. It doesn't account for the variable of age and I don't believe (although, I could be wrong), that it is applicable to teens/young adults. Included in the people who sleep excessively are probably undiagnosed depressives, who most likely have other health related issues. Also, I believe that people with undiagnosed sleep disorders were included in the study. They spend more time sleeping because they do not get quality sleep or adequate rest.

Too much sleep is not "dangerous". That's fear mongering.

Most adolescents or teens should get from 8-12 hours (usually between 9-11 hours) depending on the individual's needs.

ALSO, if you have difficulty with noise, try a fam on low. It helps.