Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reading these boards, I see so much uberdosing on Vitamin A; I'm suprised there isn't a sticky for this yet like B5 or the Omegas...

We need a Vitamin A sticky!

Seeing as this is a fat-soluble vitamin it seems warranted and of course its role in skin i.e. tretinoin, isotretinoin, etc.

Respectable sources from government agencies, universities, and organizations with academic and scientific references:

National Institute of Health:

Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin A and Carotenoids <-- MUST READ!

Vitamin A

Vitamin A (supplement)

Hypervitaminosis

Linus Pauling Institute : Oregon State University - Vitamin A

MayoClinic - Vitamin A

Colorado State University - Vitamin A (retinol)

University of Maryland Medical Center - Vitamin A

WebMD endocrinology - Vitamin A and Toxicity (see Further Reading link)

IDK about this site but seems OK as I see references...ran by a Michael Stierstorfer MD Diplomate, American Board of Dermatology

VitaminA.org

For the science-minded people:

PUBMED (Full-Text):

Overview of retinoid metabolism

A history of vitamin A and retinoids.

This is interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1254039...mp;ordinalpos=3

Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Feb;77(2):348-55.

Human skin condition and its associations with nutrient concentrations in serum and diet.

Boelsma E, van de Vijver LP, Goldbohm RA, Klöpping-Ketelaars IA, Hendriks HF, Roza L.

Department of Nutritional Physiology, TNO Nutrition and Food Research, Zeist, The Netherlands. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Nutritional factors exert promising actions on the skin, but only scant information is available on the modulating effects of physiologic concentrations of nutrients on the skin condition of humans. OBJECTIVE: The objective was to evaluate whether nutrient concentrations in serum and diet are associated with the skin condition of humans. DESIGN: A cross-sectional study was conducted in which data on serum concentrations of nutrients, dietary intake of nutrients, and the hydration, sebum content, and surface pH of skin were obtained from 302 healthy men and women. Skin condition was measured with the use of noninvasive techniques. Dietary intake was assessed with 2 complementary food-frequency questionnaires. Multiple regression analysis was used to evaluate associations of serum vitamins and carotenoids and of dietary micro- and macronutrients with skin condition. RESULTS: After adjustment for potential confounders, including sex, age, and smoking, statistically significant associations were shown in the total population between serum vitamin A and skin sebum content and surface pH and between the dietary intake of total fat, saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, and skin hydration. Monounsaturated fat intake was also associated with surface pH. Associations between serum beta-cryptoxanthin and skin hydration and between surface pH and fluid and calcium intakes were observed in men only. CONCLUSION: Several associations between nutrients in serum and diet and skin condition were observed, indicating that changes in baseline nutritional status may affect skin condition.

Edited by KCE

You can add Vitamin D to this thread as well. You can gather a lot of information on fat soluble vitamins and their importance from price's research. Maybe I will post some of this if I get some time next weekend.