Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone used this stuff? I started on it a couple of days ago, although at a fairly low dose due to it being expensive as hell. Im 21 and male btw.

Im not 100% sure if my acne is due to excess DHT or what, but working out/intense excercise usually makes my acne worse. In the past 2 things Ive tried have cleared me up (I used to have extremely severe acne).

One was megadosing on vitamin B5, my acne was moderate at the time and B5 cleared me up completely, however it didnt work the second time round when my acne was considerably worse.

The other was accutane, Ive been on a couple of courses of it, mostly low dose and it clears me right up 100% everytime. However I dont want to be taking that shit for the rest of my life so Ive started looking for healthier alternatives.

Been doing alot of research on hormonal acne lately which I believe is a factor in my acne, however im not sure if I do have excess DHT, I defintately dont have excessive testosterone in general but Im thinking maybe my DHT ratio is out of balance.

The thing is, Ive naturally been a skinny guy who has found it hard to put on muscle or weight (signs of lower than average testosterone levels), Im not overly hairy either, although I do have a fairly normal amount of hair on my body and face. Lastly my head hair is relatively thick and baldness isnt really a concern for me at all, and apparantly high DHT levels cause baldness or a receding hairline, and I have neither. Lastly before I did accutane I used to have really quite oily skin which is another sign of high DHT levels (i think?) EDIT: Also forgot to mention that I do get alot of cystic acne on the jawline and chin which is another symptom of hormonal acne i believe (although it applies more to females I think)

So all the signs point to me having a fairly normal testosterone/dht level, except for the fact breakout after intense excercise.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it for me to have a go with Saw palmetto? I really cant think of anything else that might help, Ive been thinking about overhauling my diet lately to exclude all sorts of crap, but the thing is I hardly maintain a healthy weight as it is, and cutting out alot of food will mean I will turn stick thin, especially since I train alot.

Anyway what is everyones experience with this stuff? did it work for you and did you show any signs of having high DHT levels in the first place etc, girls also welcome to post, but preferably guys since its all relative.

Thanks in advance

Edited by JoeBloggs

I tried taking Beta-Sitosterol which is the active ingredient in saw palmetto to no significant avail.

You are better off obtaining the same nutrient through avocados naturally and at

a cheaper expense.

I tried taking Beta-Sitosterol which is the active ingredient in saw palmetto to no significant avail.

You are better off obtaining the same nutrient through avocados naturally and at

a cheaper expense.

Ive actually recently bought some beta sitosterol aswell as stinging nettle root extract as I plan to cycle using them weekly. I think im going to stick with using them for a while to see how they work.

The saw palmetto is definately doing something to my body though since I feel a little different 'down there' if you know what I mean, its actually slightly worrying but Im going stick with it for a while.

Any other suggestions?

Don't be so sure you have average testosterone levels, a low percentage of body fat and a decent height are better indicators of high testosterone than muscle mass. I'll be interested to see how this goes as i'm sure my acne is tied to androgen(testosterone) levels, though I haven't tried any treatments myself as hormone therapies can have unpredictable results.

You could also supplement dairy for soy which is known to mimic the hormone estrogen, I was completely free of cystic acne while drinking soy, now that i've stopped it's come back with a vengeance on that note i think i'll start on soy milk again.

Either way I hope this helps, good luck.

Edited by Wesclo

^Yes, and I think hormones trigger different traits in different people, according to genetics, I suppose. For example, I'm curvy and pear-shaped like a female should be, but had very oily skin, severe acne, and unwanted androgenic body hair, while my sister is taller, more muscular, no waist and with a tendency to gain weight in the abdomen and upper body like a man, but has little unwanted body hair and did not have severe acne as a teen. And I bet the acne she gets now is really the same citrus allergy and rosacea.

And it does seem to be common for skinny men to be really hairy. My younger brother is that way.

Wesclo: Are you male? If so, it's interesting that plant estrogens helped you. I was just thinking of suggesting that to someone asking me for advice.

Yes i'm male 20 years old and i'm convinced my acne is both genetic and hormonal most of my family has had acne as an adolescent and convincingly they're all tall and all slim, mine started on my forehead at about 17 and has slowly moved south over the years so my main problems are now my neck and jawline, my brothers acne followed the same pattern though his started around 14 and he is almost completely clear now at 19. For the most part of last year i wasn't acne clear but was at least cystic clear and also had put on a little bit of body fat. Now that ive stopped drinking soy, really just out of laziness, the small amount of body fat i had has shedded and cystic acne has returned.

Some health experts say males should avoid soy because of these estrogenic effects but as long as the male in question doesn't already show signs of high estrogen such as lack of body hair and higher levels of body fat then i don't think it could do any harm.

In my case besides taking up soy again, i think i'll give saw palmetto a try and see if i can finally give this acne the kick.

All our acne is genetic and hormone related, except for those clogging their pores topically. Estrogenic foods, just like anti-androgens can help or hurt depending on your particular imbalance, but that's nearly impossible to determine. That's why doctors prescribe birth control pills by trial and error.

Well just as a update Ive stopped taking Saw Palmetto and Bita-sisterol.

I dont think they really had any effects on my skin, although they basically shut my sex drive down which was quite worrying.

But yeah I definately didnt notice any difference in my skin, also they were expensive and the pills seemed to go off quickly (under a month).

Im also an avid gym goer and weight lifter and i use saw palmetto in a powdered form. Its more readily absorbed than a capsule form :)

For me (im 6'4) my hormones have always been out of whack. I used to a be a REALLY short teenager. I was like 5ft3 at 15 lol. Now im 19 and 6'4 :) Im guessing that during this period of rapid growth i had huge doses of testosterone flowing through my system that then got converted to DHT that then caused acne.

Im also naturally slender and it took AGES to get to the muscular state i am at today. Being a hard gainer sucks! I hope i grow a little more. Maybe to 6'6 :D

MJ, do you think the saw palmetto helped reduce your sebum production at all?

I've been using it for just three days and i don't want to get my hopes up but my forehead does seem to have less uninflammed comedos usually it looks really bumpy but it seems smother than usual today no change anywhere else tho its only been 3 days.

MJ, do you think the saw palmetto helped reduce your sebum production at all?

I've been using it for just three days and i don't want to get my hopes up but my forehead does seem to have less uninflammed comedos usually it looks really bumpy but it seems smother than usual today no change anywhere else tho its only been 3 days.

Yes it really does! :) I used to wake up with an oil slick on my face but now i wake up with a natural looking face.