Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dn7prh10

Has anyone ever tried quitting treatments to see if your acne heals itself?

I'm on a quest now to figure out whether or not all the products I've been using to "cure" my acne is actually causing the breakouts or not allowing it to heal correctly. Part of the reason is because it seems like while using BP and soap to wash my face plus toner I still get DAILY breakouts. So I've quit washing and treating my forehead to hopefully see some results. My mother had adult acne only for a short time and she told me that she NEVER washed with soap or used topicals besides dabbing Ten o Six toner on individual pimples when the arrived...other than that if she wore makeup she washed it off with a wash cloth and water (yikes), but somehow her acne dissipated and she now only suffers from the usual menstrual pimple thats it and she still to this day does not wash her face with soap. I was wondering who else has had success like my mother and we're not talking about the mild form of acne? Please only those with or who know others with moderate to severe acne. Thanks!

Edited by dn7prh10

I believe I'm on day 2 of doing absolutely nothing to my face...no washing...no acne treatments. And surprisingly I woke up without the addition of new pimples. And as gross as this may sound I noticed the oil thats currently overproducing in some areas of my face actually helped created a barrier against the cold winter wind....where before that wind hurt and would result in even drier skin and stinging toner and BP. Basically what I am hoping from all this is that maybe for the past few months I've just been overwashing or over medicating...or something. Anyways, I'll keep posting. Info and advice is always welcome! Thanks!

i stopped applying tazorac and moisturizer to my zits and somehow i have a clear face!!!

thanks for the reply....so far my theory seems right as my face seems to be clearing faster and not expirencing the daily breakouts I was used to. This is Day 3 and last night I washed my face in the shower with just a wash cloth and I tried to do it as gently as possible around my cysts. Immediatly after my face felt great! As the night progressed my face began to feel dry and thus began peeling (minor compared to how it peeled on BP). I'm feeling good about this "no treatment" regimen. although I did get a minor pimple last night between my eyes....nothing compared to the cysts and pustules I was getting on treatment. Thats all for now. I'm trying to keep track with photos, so hopefully when I get a better idea of whether or not this is truly making an improvement on my face I will post pictures for ya'll!

When I tried benzoyl peroxide, I've had breakouts. Maybe because it's itchy. I remember the time when I washed my face with soap, and guess what? I had breakouts because of soap. I'm not putting anything on my face right now because it seems that chemicals in cleansers aggravate my acne.

Edited by darrellbl9

When I tried benzoyl peroxide, I've had breakouts. Maybe because it's itchy. I remember the time when I washed my face with soap, and guess what? I had breakouts because of soap. I'm not putting anything on my face right now because it seems that chemicals in cleansers aggravate my acne.

I believe that is the case with mine. I believe I'm on day 4 or is it 5? and my face feels so much better....not irritated like before. woke up with a new pimple today...I felt it coming last night...no biggy. Like I said before the pimples I am getting now are nothing in comparison to what I had been getting on treatment. These are basically painless and small size in comparison. My previous acne lesions are FINALLY improving...ones I never though would. Now my problem is scars and red marks. My face basically paints a false picture of whats really going on underneath. I look like I have loads of pimples on my face when in reality what it is is just leftover marks and scars. Occasionally my face still itches though....mainly around the cysts that still persist since treatment on BP. Otherwise, I hope my progress continues as I am doing unbelievable well with giving up acne treatments and facial cleansers. I think like you said it was all the chemicals that were aggravating my acne. My only problem is upcoming this week when I have to go to a very public place and I feel like I can't go there without make-up, but I really don't want to wear make-up and potentially screw up this progress I am having. I hate how acne basically controls our lives....we make plans in accordance with it....at least I do I guess. anyways thats all till tomorrow. I will keep updating my progress of course!

DAY 6- Still having daily breakouts...still small ones at least. Yesturday something weird happened. My lips became extremely dry out of no where they began bleeding. Could it be hormone related? I don't know...they are dry again today. I tried applying lip balm twice yesturday in vain. Other than that my face is still oily...hopefully trying to balance itself out. But my face is soo much softer from the oilyness compared to any efforts in the past to moisturize. Cysts are still not clearing up very fast. Every other minor pimple does though. Took a shower last night, just splashed my face with water. Eventually after my shower my face got dry feeling. But today is back to oily...not as oily as it has been since beginning this adventure.

Day 7 its officially been a week of not washing my face with facial cleanser (soap) and treating with BP and the like. During the duration of the week I only "washed" my face twice with water. Once utilizing a washcloth (for exfoiliation purposes) and a once without one. Got a large pimple last night...VERY inflamed...on my chin, but seems to be healing fast. One thing that I am astonished by though is how smooth my forehead is getting. It had been rough with little pumps, but the bumps somehow polished off itself (mind you the bumps were still there after the washcloth washing). Besides the pimples, the rest of the skin on my face is SOO smooth...like a baby's bottom just from my own oil I guess (as I have not once used moisturizer during the duration of this expirement). The thing I noticed most though is that the inflammation of my existing cysts (which have been there for months now) intensifies only at the end of the day...in the morning inflammation is almost non-existent. What could this possibly suggest? That foods I eat during the day are causing inflammation? Or what?

Thanks guys! its nice to know other people have tried this method and found more than limited success. As for my diet I typically eat cruciferous vegetables on a daily basis, a whole grain such as quinoa or cous cous..although lately I've been having rice either arborio or basamati (I know not the healthiest choices), and for protein I either have a legume such as lentils or beans or salmon...lately I've been having organic eggs (actually almost daily this week). Other than that all I drink is water, a green tea only in the morning, and a half a cup of organic fruit juice sparaingly throughout the day. Although recently for a snack I've been eating graham crackers with peanut butter on them. Could any of these things be the inflammatory culprits? Thanks for the advice!

Definitely.... the crackers, peanut butter and beans are all inflammatory foods.... probably why you got the stinger on your chin.

Don't eat too much fruit either, its loaded with sugar. Instead eat lots of veggies, keep up the quionia and enjoy lots of protein.

I'm having excellent results by avoiding: dairy, gluten, wheat, fruit and keeping sugar intake to a very low amount.

And its funny because I was using a million different products prior to this and decided to say.... fuvk it, I'm just gonna wash my face with water and change my diet and viola.... skin almost 100% clear.

Your most likely getting a little bit of a break out since your changing your routine, but I'd also look into doing a detox of some sort (colon cleanse, liver cleanse) as they work wonders for your skin.

PANIC

Definitely.... the crackers, peanut butter and beans are all inflammatory foods.... probably why you got the stinger on your chin.

Don't eat too much fruit either, its loaded with sugar. Instead eat lots of veggies, keep up the quionia and enjoy lots of protein.

I'm having excellent results by avoiding: dairy, gluten, wheat, fruit and keeping sugar intake to a very low amount.

And its funny because I was using a million different products prior to this and decided to say.... fuvk it, I'm just gonna wash my face with water and change my diet and viola.... skin almost 100% clear.

Your most likely getting a little bit of a break out since your changing your routine, but I'd also look into doing a detox of some sort (colon cleanse, liver cleanse) as they work wonders for your skin.

PANIC

Thanks so much for the advice and support...I need all I can get at this point as my face literally looks like a disastor...primarily composed of all the red marks and scars from when I was having a MAJOR cystic flare up and using treatment products like BP. By the way, that large inflammed one on my chin....is COMPLETELY healed now. I can't believe it! Off of treatments my pimples heal literally in like the next day or two....on treatment they lasted for weeks. I am so excited for the success I'm having with this evne though I still get a minor breakout daily. Best of all my face "feels" normal evne if it doesn't look like it due to no irritation or dryness...and I live in Iowa where we just experienced an ice storm. And I definitely think the breakouts I am continually getting is due to either my diet or like you said because of the change in my routine...skin trying to balance out or something. Either way I love this! Kicking the treatments, cleansers, and make-up out the door method!

Stay persistent!

You say you live in Iowa... have you ever considered taking a vitamin d3 supplement? I am one who hates taking any supplements but I believe it is completely necessary to consume fish oil (since I eat none to little fish) and a vitamin d3 supplement since I live in Michigan.

More than likely your vitamin d levels are low due to little sunshine in the winter months. Vitamin D3 is the most important vitamin for our body and most of the population is deficient in it since they avoid the sun and/or live in a northern climate.

Look on Amazon for the best deals. I just bought Carlson brand, they should arrive tomorrow. It is pretty cheap and completely worth it!

To an Acne Free Life,

Todd

Oh I'm definitely sure I am vit. d deficient as we haven't had a sunny day for like a week now due to this recent ice storm we had this week. I have been meaning to look into a supplement for a while now, but never remembered to swoop by them at my health store. Could vit. d help with my acne as well? I don't know if I mentioned yet or not, but I got a HUGE cyst right between my eyes...not painful by huge. Probably has to do with the crap I've been eating lately...the processed things like graham crackers and bread again. For the first part of the week when I was experiencing super improvement I hadn't been consuming ANY bread...as I had run out the week before. So as soon as I run out of this loaf which will be soon I'm going to try foregoing it again to see if it makes any dramatic changes. What kind of whole grains would anyone suggest besides quinoa...I need to mix it up a bit to keep at it, but am at a lost for ideas specially when it comes to what to pair it with at a meal. I made whole wheat coucous tonight, but I'm not as fond of that as I am the quinoa. What about wheat berries? Does anyone eat these in place of pasta or rice?

Yes, taking a Vitamin D3 should help with your acne. But, simply adding this supplement, any supplement, should not be the only thing you do. I just got mine in the mail today. I bought Carlson's brand off of Amazon. $23 for 1 year's supply. Not bad, eh? Unless you take 2 a day which I might (2,000 IU per tablet). But, when spring/summer arrives I won't be taken the tablets :)

Yes, eating junk food like graham crackers will make your acne worse and will add pimples/cysts to your skin.

What else does your diet consist of? And, do you exercise and sleep well at night? What about stress?