Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jarrit

Oral Hygiene Thread

At this moment I'm trying to investigate whether or not there is a link between acne and oral hygiene.

For this purpose I have :

-Dental Floss

-Mouthwash

-Toothbrush

-Dental picks (scraper and a hook)

-Dental mirror

I've always been very thorough in washing my face, but simply brushed my teeth without much thought. It seems logical to care as much for the mouth as for the rest of the face, as they are a part of each other.

A few days ago, I committed to cleaning my teeth thoroughly (not as the result of new years. the overlap is coincidental). I used my dental tools to meticulously scrape out a lot of things that definitely don't belong stuck to my teeth. After a few days of lightly picking at my teeth, I incorporated flossing. I flossed for the first time in months, and felt a pulsating pain in my gums, which was natural, and probably the reason I always stop flossing several days after committing to it. This thread is my new commitment, and right now I actually look forward to the throbbing gums.

I conclude my morning/night dental regimen with a nice rinsing of warm water, sometimes with salt added. Once I've rinsed my teeth, I use mouthwash, followed by another complete rinse. After all of this, my mouth feels great. I'm very committed to this regimen.

Some considerations as to why this may work :

-drooling on the bed, drooling on your face

-mouth is part of the face, and keeping your entire face clean is worth trying.

People with horrible teeth and no acne :

I consider that acne is an immune response. It is an indication that something else is wrong with the body, be it the stomach or the teeth. While I don't find this a reason to go and become some type of self-evaluating hypochondriac, I do think it is good measure to try and observe all aspects of a generalized area, projected from one focus.

To us, we would rather have dull skin over acne covered skin. Dull skin is not healthy skin, and Acne is not any indication of being unhealthy. It might be, but dull skin can indicate poor health as well. Through this logic, it is all a matter of preference and appearance.

Would we take a 5% drop in our overall health to cure our acne? The question is, are we willing to attempt to give ourselves a 10% boost in our overall health to cure our acne? (I do realize health is exponential by nature, but for the purpose of illustration...)

I'm already pretty clear right now, but I'm always going to think of new ways to combat acne. I don't just want clear skin, I want to have that robust health that once allowed me to discard any worries I have about my skin. I think whole body health is the most important core of curing a side effect like acne.

Focusing on one part of the body to heal that part of the body, may not be enough. It's possible that we should focus on as many things as possible to heal our bodies.

Cosmetic :

-Hair

-Teeth

-Nails

-Skin

-Muscles

Non Cosmetic (just to name a few) :

-Bones

-Blood

-Digestive system (excretory waste?)

-Lungs

-Liver

We are constantly focusing on the cosmetic portion, conditioning our hair, brushing our teeth, toning our muscles. We are attempting to heal our bodies from the outside, and are very far from knowing the truth about what is really the cause of acne.

It is really, really aggravating to me that what we eat is completely discarded as a cause of acne by so many people. If we can take a pill (accutane), then logically, we should consider that our diet effects our acne.

The spread of misinformation about acne appears to be, in my opinion, from spreading a standard "top ten" list of acne causes. Many of these lists claim that acne has NO correlation with diet.

Edited by jarrit

Good oral hygiene is important for overall health.

Excessive mouth bacteria or oral/dental infections can cause *systemic* inflammation in the body. For example, studies have show a relationship between inflammation in the blood vessels and those with chronic poor oral hygiene.

Excessive mouth bacteria or oral/dental infections can cause *systemic* inflammation in the body. For example, studies have show a relationship between inflammation in the blood vessels and those with chronic poor oral hygiene.

This is so comforting to hear. I'm really surprised at the lack of oral hygiene threads on acne.org. I'd love to see if this has any affect though.

My three areas of focus currently :

stomach - focusing on digestion.

teeth - cleansing out as well as I can.

skin - cleansing off my entire body thoroughly.

My rationalization for all of this change is to imagine things in this way :

Imagine for a second that your head is one giant pimple on your body. How would you be rid of this giant pimple that is protruding from your body? What would you try (besides popping. . . ) ?

I'd try to cleanse the entire area really well, and make sure the areas surrounding the pimple are clean (the body, inside and outside). I'd also try and rake out a lot of the bacteria inside of the giant pimple (the teeth).

If your entire body is in a thriving state, the acne should completely subside. There has to be a diminishing return on simply washing the face and treating it topically. In order to activate our bodies into a healing state, we have to achieve whole body health.

While topicals will restore healthy skin to a healthy person, I don't believe topicals will work for someone who needs to make a change in their lifestyle. By purely taking a logical approach to our acne, we should understand that our diet 100% affects acne.

Since cleaning out my teeth a great deal a few days ago, I've noticed that my skin feels a lot better surrounding my jaw-line.

I will keep updating this post if I find anything new.

But so far, I've been flossing daily and brushing my teeth. A huge change considering my oral hygiene was absolutely terrible.

This is really interesting. I was wondering about this recently too. Let us know how it goes. I think it makes sense.

I'd love to ask anyone that reads this thread :

How often do you floss?

For the past three nights, I've been flossing. There are two points to floss between teeth - gumline and tooth #1, as well as gumline and tooth #2. I'm sure many folks here know how to do this, but I've just tried it. It resulted in throbbing pain, less each time, but this throbbing pain feels good. It's as if my nerves are awake. After the throbbing went away, it was soothing.

After I floss, I brush very carefully and gently. Once I'm done brushing, I rinse with water very thoroughly, and give myself some nice Listerine. After rinsing with Listerine, I rinse with water once again, very thoroughly.

As soon as I wake up the next morning, I brush my teeth and rinse with listerine (water before and after).

Be sure to get your tongue. Don't brush too hard, or too soft. Pay special attention to the rear molars.

If you're uncomfortable working with your own teeth, go visit a dentist and get a true cleansing.

I've noticed that I now do not feel any pressure in my salivary glands while taking a bite of something strange.

STATUS: Skin feels great. I've been clear, but I feel even more clear, and less congested in my jaw region. Clean those jaws out - it will help with the cysts. The jaw is a huge part of our face.

Err, I don't understand how oral hygiene would affect acne?

I am the most meticulous flosser in my whole family and I have very good teeth, which I'm proud to admit. However, I still have acne. I understand that it's good for your overall heath, and oral hygiene is so simple that everyone should get into the habit, but personally, it has nothing to do with acne.

but personally, it has nothing to do with acne.

What kind of acne do you have? I think it does have a lot to do with acne.

The regimen won't work for everyone, and I don't think everyone's problems will be solved by flossing and cleaning out teeth, but this may be a cause.

I'm glad that you have come to this thread to comment, because I'd like to find out more about people who do have acne, and have good oral health.

Let me know... I consider this more of a research project.

I have very good oral hygiene and my teeth are impeccable (although they looked better a few years ago *sad*) but I have acne. The bacteria in the mouth exist to break down food matter and to protect your teeth. To prevent excess, foul breathe and bad teeth, we floss and brush.

I don't really see how Oral Hygiene (assuming the subject is an average person who actually flosses and brushes their teeth) has anything to do with acne.

But nevertheless, if you have success with acne by purely having a better oral regimen then please pm me! I think it would take guts to not use anything topically or use supplements or therapies and just do this to see results.

But yeah.

Sorta weird.

QUOTE (Brissyguy @ Jan 14 2010, 10:19 PM)

Err, I don't understand how oral hygiene would affect acne?

Inflammation. The same way it affects many health conditions. The other conclusions drawn by the OP are mistaken. Clear skinned people do not necessarily have stronger immune systems and are not necessarily healthier. We are genetically prone to mall formed skin cells that do not exfoliate properly, exacerbated by inflammation.

Edited by alternativista

Personally, I really do beleive there exists a close relation between oral hygiene and acne. Heres why:

For the most part I take very good care of my mouth with the exception of flossing. And for the most part my skin stays relatively clear. However, when I travel my whole oral hygiene goes down the drain and interestingly enough, so does my skin. Travelling just seems to mess up my daily routine and I definately dont take care of my mouth nearly as much as I should. And when I get back home and get back in the rythm of caring for my oral hygiene my skin clears up.

Heres what I think. I dont think it has to do with drueling or anything like that. I believe that the bacteria that will exist in massive amounts if you dont brush your teeth or wash your mouth for a few days is able to penetrate the lining of your mouth and cause acne. Have you ever had a big pimple on your cheek or chin that you can feel with your tongue through the lining of your mouth? I truly believe that it is possible for the bacteria in your mouth to be causing acne on the surface of your face. Think about it there is food rotting away and producing tons of bacteria just a centimetre away from your outter skin which you take so much care of topically.

Need more proof? Luckily I have lots more. When I do break out from not taking care of my mouth properly and believe me when I say I break out... it is really bad, I notice that all my acne lies on the surface of my skin that is connected to the lining of my mouth and nowhere else. My upper cheeks below the eyes, my temples and my forehead remain spotless. In other words, when I rin my tongue throughout the inner surface of my mouth while looking in the mirrow I notice I only have acne where my tongue can reach. Coincidence? probably not. Well Im still on vacation so Im going to take excellent care of my mouth these couple days and see if these terrible breakouts stop. Today, part of my cheek was bothering me with that pre breakout feeling so I said what the heck it cant hurt and I used mouthwash making sure to pay extra attention to that area. I did this inside my mouth obviously lol. Afterwards, the bad feeling was gone and 5 hours later I have no signs of any acne there.

I always thought it was possibly the tap water here or some change in diet which contributed to my vacation acne. It was very stressful considering how healthy I eat when Im on vacation and how much it interferes with me enjoying myself. But the oral hygiene makes so much more sense and I will definately update to let everyone know if it was really the cause or not.

It also depends on what you're eating as the less desirable bacteria tend to feed on sugar. If you're eating the right foods, all of this mouthwash and flouride becomes unecessary. There are days where I don't eat any sugar and my teeth and mouth feel just as clean at the end of the day.

I'm sure there is a link but you are only doing yourself damage in the long run using those mouthwashes.

Look into oil pulling. It is THE WAY to take care of your mouth.

Update:

My skin has really cleared up since i started taking care of my teeth again. However, I cannot be sure if it is directly related to this or not.Basically, I read that tanning and sun damage can cause breakouts since the outer layer of the skin hardens. Since my face did get sunburned I don't actually know whether this was what caused my breakouts or if it was the lack of oral hygiene. However, my skin is back to normal and it is clearing up significantly. Does anybody know about this acne-sun damage connection? Id really like more information so that I can finally figure out what is really causing my breakouts.

Update:

My skin has really cleared up since i started taking care of my teeth again. However, I cannot be sure if it is directly related to this or not.Basically, I read that tanning and sun damage can cause breakouts since the outer layer of the skin hardens. Since my face did get sunburned I don't actually know whether this was what caused my breakouts or if it was the lack of oral hygiene. However, my skin is back to normal and it is clearing up significantly. Does anybody know about this acne-sun damage connection? Id really like more information so that I can finally figure out what is really causing my breakouts.

What do you eat, what time do you usually go to bed/wake up, how often are you content/happy/exhilarated versus anxious/worried/critical, how often do you go outside? Exercise? Socialize?