Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For the passt 6 months or so, (basically since I finished my accutane course) I've completely revamped my diet.

I only eat fruits, veggies, bread, and meat. I only drink water and only occasionally have coffee. I cut out dairy, foods high in sugar, fast food, candy, pop, chocolate.. etc.. I'm fairy strict with myself. But I was just reading through this forum and I saw someone say grains like bread and stuff are bad... I've never heard this before and wanted to get some information on it... So is bread good or bad? Thanks.

Bread is probably the number one thing you should cut out of your diet to reduce acne (number two is milk). It's bad stuff.

I would experiment with the bread. Don't just cut it out entirely right now. Find out what works best for you because everyone is different.

I would, personally, say that you should avoid products such as refined, white bread. There is absolutely no nutritional value in it and it also forces your body to work harder in order to digest it.

In order to create white flour, companies take out the wheat germ. This part of wheat contains all of the vitamins and nutrition. It's packed with good stuff.

Personally, I love whole grains and my body agrees with them perfectly fine.

Also check the meat that you're eating. If you're a beef lover, like me (Oh god steak...mmm!), just try to make sure that it's organic. Many companies raise their cows and inject them with hormones so their growth speeds up and they make more money. These hormones can occasionally disrupt our own hormones which can, in turn, whack out our acne.

Also, congrats on cutting out the sugar. I believe that sugar is the source to many, maaany problems.

I would, personally, say that you should avoid products such as refined, white bread. There is absolutely no nutritional value in it and it also forces your body to work harder in order to digest it.

In order to create white flour, companies take out the wheat germ. This part of wheat contains all of the vitamins and nutrition. It's packed with good stuff.

Then you would be amazed that you can barely digest any of the nutrients in the germ, they are coupled with lectins and other anti-nutrients which bind the minerals/vitamins, making them unavailable for digestion. White bread is easier to digest, not harder.

OP, no one here can tell you, you would have to try for your self. It is not about cutting out bread, but all grains. If you do want to try it out I would recommend going into paleo or anti-candida and see how that plays for you.

I have a thread called carbohydrates friend or foe!!

Look it up!!

For me i only eat the lowest gi, most unrefined and nutritious wholegrains!

I find them perfectly ok but thats just me!

These grains are:

Quinoa

100% whole buckwheat bread and pasta (both only have 1 ingredient)

Wholegrain basmati rice.

You can also get like chickpea pasta made from chickpea flour really nice!!

Just because there is only 1 ingredient doesn't mean that 1 ingredient isn't hard for you to digest or in some cases bad for you.

Healthwise grains are at best just ok. Not good. And depends on the grain as to how bad they are.

Wheat, whole or white, is the most damaging and most common culprit in food intolerances. Even if you don't notice a direct connection between it and acne (I don't), it isn't good for you and should not be a big part of your diet. Wheat bread is particularly bad as wheat contains the most gluten and, the bread making process is designed to develop the gluten, which is what people are intolerant to.

Oats and brown rice are your best choices for real grains. And seeds we eat like grains such as quinoa and buckwheat.

Just because there is only 1 ingredient doesn't mean that 1 ingredient isn't hard for you to digest or in some cases bad for you.

Both are organic and sprouted

and it means its less refined

Whats not healthy about that??

Both are organic and sprouted

and it means its less refined

Whats not healthy about that??

Well, the comment is technically true, just pretty pointless as a response to you as the seeds you named are good.

Edited by alternativista

Healthwise grains are at best just ok. Not good. And depends on the grain as to how bad they are.

Wheat, whole or white, is the most damaging and most common culprit in food intolerances. Even if you don't notice a direct connection between it and acne (I don't), it isn't good for you and should not be a big part of your diet. Wheat bread is particularly bad as wheat contains the most gluten and, the bread making process is designed to develop the gluten, which is what people are intolerant to.

Oats and brown rice are your best choices for real grains. And seeds we eat like grains such as quinoa and buckwheat.

So true!!

I eat multigrain bread but at most two slices a day and it doesn't break me out but also it doesn't upset my blood sugar or lead to bad values in my blood tests. There are indeed no signs that the bread is causing any harm.

I was reading a book called "Life Without Bread"

The author has cured lot of people by simply reducing carbs and sugar in their diet.

His only rule: don't eat more than 80 grams of carbs.

He says to his patients to eat whatever they want as long as stick with the maximum amount of carbs including pastries, cake, sweet, french fries and yup bread. The recovery of his patients for various problems (including diabetes) are very impressive. What I'm trying to say is that there's no food so harmful that your body can't even tolerate without any consequence a small amount of it.

Amount matters.

I eat multigrain bread but at most two slices a day and it doesn't break me out but also it doesn't upset my blood sugar or lead to bad values in my blood tests. There are indeed no signs that the bread is causing any harm.

I was reading a book called "Life Without Bread"

The author has cured lot of people by simply reducing carbs and sugar in their diet.

His only rule: don't eat more than 80 grams of carbs.

He says to his patients to eat whatever they want as long as stick with the maximum amount of carbs including pastries, cake, sweet, french fries and yup bread. The recovery of his patients for various problems (including diabetes) are very impressive. What I'm trying to say is that there's no food so harmful that your body can't even tolerate without any consequence a small amount of it.

Amount matters.

Amount is what matter that is true, but if someone wants to really stay perfectly healthy it is best to choose true grains like kamut, millet.

As it has been said before... wheat should not be eaten by anyone. If you are going to eat grains then choose the most healthy ones such as brown rice, oats, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, and the like.

It may be difficult to all of a sudden completely stop eating wheat. So, take baby steps. If you eat a sandwich 4 times a week then go down to 3 times a week for a while, then twice, once, and then finally you will stop eating sandwiches without wheat bread. There are other alternatives to wheat bread. Search the internet for them.

To an Acne Free Life,

Todd

As it has been said before... wheat should not be eaten by anyone. If you are going to eat grains then choose the most healthy ones such as brown rice, oats, buckwheat, millet, quinoa, and the like.

Saying something over and over doesn't make it true. I mean wheat is probably inferior and some people are intolerant to its proteins, but I tested negative all the times and eating wheat containing bread doesn't have any effect on my skin of health, nor abstaining from wheat had any relevant effect on my health

Saying something over and over doesn't make it true. I mean wheat is probably inferior and some people are intolerant to its proteins, but I tested negative all the times and eating wheat containing bread doesn't have any effect on my skin of health, nor abstaining from wheat had any relevant effect on my health

Well, you, being of Mediterranean descent, are possible more adapted to digesting grains than those of us of more northern European descent. There's some evidence that grains have a more negative impact on people from regions that adopted cultivation of grains later.

That said, I don't notice an impact on my skin or health from wheat, I just don't feel it should be a big part of my diet.

Well, you, being of Mediterranean descent, are possible more adapted to digesting grains than those of us of more northern European descent. There's some evidence that grains have a more negative impact on people from regions that adopted cultivation of grains later.

I'm of northern descent, Denmark, and I live in the north snowy regions of a mediterranean country. So my blood is not really mediterranean and I'm even lucky that culturally where I live pasta and bread are not so widespread as in the southern regions, I would hate to live there with my pale untannable skin. I'm not attracted at all to mediterranean weather or culture of places like Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Tunisia, South Italy. My love is for places like highlands, alps, pyrenees, urals :)

I'm of northern descent, Denmark, and I live in the north snowy regions of a mediterranean country. So my blood is not really mediterranean and I'm even lucky that culturally where I live pasta and bread are not so widespread as in the southern regions, I would hate to live there with my pale untannable skin. I'm not attracted at all to mediterranean weather or culture of places like Greece, Cyprus, Malta, Tunisia, South Italy. My love is for places like highlands, alps, pyrenees, urals :)

Just because it does not have an effect on you does not mean it is good for you. If you eat candy everyday, sparingly, you are probably fine. But, is candy good for you? Such as zours and skittles? No. Nothing is good about them.

About 10,000 years ago humans never ate grains. We lived millions of years without consuming grains. We don't need them in our diet to live a healthy life, up to 100 years or more. But, grains contain a lot of nutrition that our body needs. So, eating the best grains are definitely a plus.

Wheat seems to be the highest allergenic and causes the most problem amongst humans. More so then any other grain. I wonder why this is so... this is why I just recommend to avoid it as much as possible. I still eat wheat once in a while but have cut back a lot recently. And, it is estimated that 40% or more of the population is at least gluten intolerant to some degree.

And, you can easily develop an intolerance to gluten or wheat later on in life. So, just because you can handle it now does not mean you will not suffer later. So, why not just avoid it completely or at least cut back somewhat, and eat healthier grains? Quinoa is excellent and is actually a seed but we treat it like a grain. 16.6 grams of protein per serving...

Just my 2 cents.

Anyone, feel free to message me if you want some help.

To an Acne Free Life,

Todd

Just because it does not have an effect on you does not mean it is good for you. If you eat candy everyday, sparingly, you are probably fine. But, is candy good for you? Such as zours and skittles? No. Nothing is good about them.

What does good mean?

Necessary, harmless, efficient?

Every food eaten in excess becomes a poison, so how do you determine what is a good food?

Also you said it yourself wheat still has needed nutrients that candies don't have.

A better example would be bananas.

Are bananas good for me? If I eat few slices sparingly I'm probably fine but if I eat a bunch of them my blood sugar goes sky high. Still bananas contain needed nutrients and lot of them.

About 10,000 years ago humans never ate grains. We lived millions of years without consuming grains. We don't need them in our diet to live a healthy life, up to 100 years or more. But, grains contain a lot of nutrition that our body needs. So, eating the best grains are definitely a plus.

But I don't buy the paleolithic dogma anymore (and I used to be the biggest proponent of a paleo diet) Simply there's no evidence that the human body needs a lot of time to develop tolerance or even a requirement for a recently consumed food. Enzymatic differences have been observed in a couple of generations, tolerance to poisons in one generation alone, evidence shows that cooking existed a lot before then we thought and that cooking changed our digestive system.

Again this paleo concept of "need" is rather ambiguous. We don't need computers, we don't need music, we don't need cinema, we don't need books, we don't need cuisine, we don't need ovens, we don't need tables, we don't need showers. Or do we? I need those things actually, I might survive without them but needs doesn't necessarily mean just what we need to survive and I think our mind, body, culture, habits gets all interwined in a rather symbiotic way.

Wheat seems to be the highest allergenic and causes the most problem amongst humans. More so then any other grain. I wonder why this is so... this is why I just recommend to avoid it as much as possible. I still eat wheat once in a while but have cut back a lot recently. And, it is estimated that 40% or more of the population is at least gluten intolerant to some degree.

I don't believe that, for the simple reason that it has been extimated by people using a weird definition and diagnostic approach to wheat intolerance. For example there are labs that use the stool test to diagnose what intolerance even though those test have been shown to be unreliable in many clinical studies. Other use DNA test to check for HLA genes even though many people have just a pair of those genes, non activated, and they suffer no wheat intolerance.

Officially as shown by reliable tests, there's no wheat intolerance just plain Celiac Disease and only 1% of the world population suffer from it, while 9% of the population suffer from autoimmune diseases.

So, why not just avoid it completely or at least cut back somewhat, and eat healthier grains?

Since there are many other grains there's indeed no nutritional reason to eat wheat (except that whole wheat does have benefits, like the anti-inflammatory betaine) but practical reason not to avoid it completely; like for example how better the texture and taste of bread and flour products made with wheat are. Also how cheaper it is.

Still I agree with not eating three bagels, one whole loaf and 2 big plates of pasta a day.

About 10,000 years ago humans never ate grains. We lived millions of years without consuming grains.

That actually isn't quite true. Humans, which haven't existed millions of years, and their ancestors ate whatever they got their hands on. In some places they've found grain grinding implements that long predate agriculture. Besides people didn't learn to cultivate it then start eating it. They cultivated it because they ate it. And in many places, and at various times, people practiced part time agriculture for a long time before moving to full time agriculture.

And there is evidence that people from regions that adopted grains earlier like the Mediterranean and middle East have adapted to it as they have fewer negative effects from it than regions that adopted it later, like in more northern regions.

That said, I am of English, German and Czech descent and notice no detrimental effects from it. Still I limit wheat in my diet since it's nearly an empty calorie and the lectin/gluten issues.

OK maybe not millions of years... but thousands. We have been here for a while :cool:

I agree that grains are extremely nutritious. I don't think I will ever avoid all grains. Whole grains are "needed" in our diet. But, there are a lot more grains out there then the average person thinks. When the average person thinks about grains, they immediately picture something like bread, or pasta.... wheat! So, if the average person is going to continue to eat lots of grains, then they should start to diminish there intake of wheat and increase there intake of other grains.

Quinoa, which is actually seed, but one that we seem to treat as a grain, is excellent as it is loaded with quality protein. There are many other grains that the average person should start to consume instead of only wheat as a grain.

Agree or disagree? Variety is best...

Variety is best...

Yeah, one of the most important markers of health according to many studies

I mean there's a strong link between how varied one's diet is and one's health

Edited by Danny©

Variety is best...

Yeah, one of the most important markers of health according to many studies

I mean there's a strong link between how varied one's diet is and one's health

Well I am sure it has to be variety HEALTHY diet (and not junk) in those studies :cool:

Yes, of course a variety of whole foods. Not processed junk.

But, don't stress out about eating all whole foods too. It's ok to eat chocolate cake on your birthday :dance:

Sometimes people stress out too much about food...