Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mach1

Really don't know what to do anymore...

I've had a mild/moderate acne problem for years now, ever since I was in high school (I'm 24 now). These past few years, however, I've been on a roller coaster with it. When one thing seems to be working well, a week or so later I'll break out again. Always. Understandably so, this has caused some depression among other things, like light scarring.

Anyways, I had started seeing a normal doctor a couple months ago after going through several homeopathic ones. I had told him all about my problems, which included a lack of good sleep, staying up late, and depression. After taking a blood and urine test, he concluded a few things:

1. My blood came out "perfect". No traces of Candida or elevated hormone levels. Everything was normal.

2. The urine test on the other hand, provided more of the results I needed. It looked like my Norepinephrine, DOPAC, Serotonin, Glycine, Taurine, and Glutamate levels were low while my Dopamine and GABA levels were elevated.

From there, he started me on a supplement called 5-HTP to help with sleep and to balance out my neurotransmitter levels. He also gave me a protein powder to mix with water, since I wasn't getting enough throughout the day and I was told protein can help clear up acne.

It's been a little over two months now, and while I can sleep like a rock for 12 or more hours during the night/day, the acne will just NOT go away. When I first started taking the protein powder, it started to clear up quite a bit. Now it's basically back to where it started.

Now before anyone suggests some form of topical treatment, I really do believe none of it will work. I've tried treatment after treatment from dermatologists and OTC products as well, from Daniel's acne washes and moisturizers, Murad/Proactiv to BenzaClin, etc. I could go on and on. In fact, one of the only things I haven't taken yet has been Accutane.

I know no one here (as far as I know...) is a doctor, but does anyone have an idea as to what is going on based on the info above? Also, this may or not be important, but is there a chance that toothpaste could cause acne if one has a reaction to it? Sometimes after brushing my teeth, I'll have some white film buildup around the inside of my mouth. Could be nothing, but at this point I'm ready to consider anything...

Summary: Acne for years. Tried a ton of stuff. Seen a doctor who gave me 5-HTP and protein powder. Works for like a week, but acne comes back. Need help.

I'd really appreciate ANY help I could get.

Edited by Mach1

By the way, as of right now I'm still taking the supplements/powder. I only wash my face twice a day and moisturize afterwards.

It's interesting he concluded there is no candida from a blood/urine test, i didn't know it was possible to do it that way.

But I guess he is the doctor

It's interesting he concluded there is no candida from a blood/urine test, i didn't know it was possible to do it that way.

But I guess he is the doctor

That was my thought as well. However, if it had been systemic candida, it would have shown up and that didn't seem to be the case. Either way, I had taken several anti-fungal and candida supplements/cleansing systems for it (renew life candida products and even 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide) and none of them seemed to work. I suppose I could ask him again as to how he found out I didn't have it.

I guess I should also mention that I exercise at least every other day, I only drink water, and I really don't eat much junk food, if at all. Very frustrating...

I'm in the same boat as you, although a much shorter time (about a year). I'm beginning to think it's all emotional since everything i try no matter how trivial it seems helps for a week or two, then has no affect and it's back to normal.