Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne2010

Accutane Hair Loss Experiences

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I have created this thread to gather experiences on hair loss and consolidate all experiences into one place in a concise form. It seeks to provide hair loss information to those inquiring into using ,or those who have used, accutane.

To avoid clutter would individuals please refrain from posting, or asking questions in this thread. ;) Simply fill out the below form. Any questions would best be answered through pm, or I can create another thread for questions. Thank you. I will try and see if the moderators could sticky this.

If you wish a question to be added please do not hesitate to PM me.

FORM

1) Dosage of Accutane:

2) Months on Accutane:

3) Did accutane clear your acne?

4) Type of hair before accutane (Thickness/Amount of oil/ Texture/Already receding?/color/additional info):

5) Point in time in which hair loss began: (ex: 2 months post accutane)

6)Description of Hair loss: (ex: thinned/ temples receded/ patches of hairloss/ dry/ etc)

7) Family history of hair (Father, Mother, Uncles, Grandfathers etc):

8)Did the lost hair regrow?

• a)Did it return to its original state (texture etc)?
  • b) How long did it take untill the regrowth process began?

9)Have you used any additional supplements, or drugs to help regrowth?

Edited by acne2010

FORM

1) Dosage of Accutane: about 50mg average

2) Months on Accutane: a little over 5 (almost done with course)

3) Type of hair before accutane (Thickness/ Texture/Already receding?/color/additional info): Very thick, wavy brown hair. Seems to be receded a little bit at the moment.

4) Point in time in which hair loss began: (ex: 2 months post accutane): a little over 1 month in, light shedding.

5)Description of Hair loss: (ex: thinned/ temples receded/ patches of hairloss/ dry/ etc): Overall thinning, temples seemed to recede a little. Overall seems pretty uniform.

6) Family history of hair (Father, Mother, Uncles, Grandfathers etc): Mother's side has receding hairline, father still has good hair for his older age.

7)Did the lost hair regrow? Still not done with accutane.

8)Have you used any additional supplements, or drugs to help regrowth? : biotin, zinc

1) Dosage of Accutane: 40mg-60mg-60mg-60mg-60mg-60mg

2) Months on Accutane: 6

3) Type of hair before accutane (Thickness/ Texture/Already receding?/color/additional info): Very thick, coarse, wavy, dyed

4) Point in time in which hair loss began: I didn't notice it until about month 4.

5)Description of Hair loss: Overall thinness, more thinness around my face.

6) Family history of hair (Father, Mother, Uncles, Grandfathers etc): My parents are in their 50s and both have very thick hair. None of my grandparents have had hair loss. We have thick hair in my family and no male pattern baldness.

7)Did the lost hair regrow?

* a)Did it return to its original state (texture etc)? Yes

* b) How long did it take untill the regrowth process began? Around 3-4 years but keep in mind I have long hair and that's the time it took for the thickness to grow long. I noticed my hair getting thicker within a few months after Accutane.

8)Have you used any additional supplements, or drugs to help regrowth?

I tried Biotin but it made me break out. I used Nioxin which helped a little.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I have created this thread to gather experiences on hair loss and consolidate all experiences into one place in a concise form. It seeks to provide hair loss information to those inquiring into using ,or those who have used, accutane.

To avoid clutter would individuals please refrain from posting, or asking questions in this thread. ;) Simply fill out the below form. Any questions would best be answered through pm, or I can create another thread for questions. Thank you. I will try and see if the moderators could sticky this.

If you wish a question to be added please do not hesitate to PM me.

FORM

1) Dosage of Accutane: month 1-2 60mg months 3-4 80mg 90mg for a few weeks at the end

2) Months on Accutane: 19 weeks

3) Did accutane clear your acne? Technically yes for a while.

4) Type of hair before accutane (Thickness/Amount of oil/ Texture/Already receding?/color/additional info):

Very thick full head of black hair, got fairly oily over the period of a day.

2 weeks post accutane if i remember correctly.

6)Description of Hair loss: (ex: thinned/ temples receded/ patches of hairloss/ dry/ etc)

Whole head thinned to about 70% of original density at it's worst. Was also losing hair across my entire body and still have about 50% less body hair. Have seb derm of the scalp since accutane, very dry hair now also.

This question is of no relevence but my fathers dad lost a significant amount of hair to MPB. Accutane hairloss isn't related to MPB in most cases anyway.

It constantly regrows but continues to shed at an abnormal rate (including body hair). I have receeded perhaps 1 inch in the temples over the period of 30 months.

• a)Did it return to its original state (texture etc)? No
  • b) How long did it take untill the regrowth process began? 8 weeks

Yes i use red wine extract, topical essential oils, lasers and topical steroids. Minoxidil also helps me but i don't currently use it, may do again soon.

I've been told to up and post here so thought I would re-word it lol...I can't do one of them questionarie thingys cause I don't memba the exact mg i was on etc...or how long I was on it for...my rough guess is 2-3 months and NO MORE...this was like 13-14 months ago when I stopped completely...

however the acctutane hairloss that I had went on for a good 2-5 months...although when it was falling out it REALLY fell out and I had to change the way I parted my hair. It was mostly my right side although the over-all thickness and colour of my hair has taken a very very very long time to get back to how it was! my wildest guess is that is was Telogen Efflivium because of the rapid hair-loss....since it all stopped I did abit of research and realised that I HAVE TO correct my diet inorder for hair to get back to how it was before....parts of my hair are still rather dull i must admit but this is definantley down to my poor diet. re-growth from my guess will be extremely slow for people...my hairline around the middle (I have a widows peak...) is growing back thick and along the right and left sides they are coming back. this has taken AGES...had a look again in REALLY bright lighting and more hair is forming among the hairline on the right but these are VERY tiny atm. I picked the worst time to grow an emo fringe for sure!

hopefully it's not reall baldness but from reading alot baldness hair doesn't grow back so I've got to force myself not to worry anymore and just eat right and sleep right...oh yeah and don't drink Coffee much..maybe 1 a day but that stuff messes your hair up big time!

my advice to those thinking about accutane...yes. it's a miracle drug it will cure acne in most cases i believe. but the side effects are pretty scary. I'd advise those with naturally thin/coarse hair not to do it cause your hair will be impoossible to manage whilst on it (unless you don't care that is then go for it!) but I reckon people with thick hair like i do (kinda) you might be able to pull it off. it's been pretty manageable with good conditioner but there is definantley a CHANCE that your hair will never come back with this thing as people have written on here!

good luck to all and can't wait for everything full to normal...been a long time coming but finally things are ok

PS...since doing acctuane and having TE...it's scary ! you notice every hair that falls out and seeing as we lose nearly 50 hairs a day naturally anyway. it sure does send ya scitzo and paranoid bout baldness! so chill!

My experience:

1) Dosage of Accutane: 40mg

2) Months on Accutane: Less than one

3) Did accutane clear your acne? Very instantaneously, it was insanely effective in only a week and my oily skin never returned

4) Type of hair before accutane (Thickness/Amount of oil/ Texture/Already receding?/color/additional info): Extremely thick, not oily, light brown, not receding, never fell out

5) Point in time in which hair loss began: (ex: 2 months post accutane) Once the dryness kicked in but began after the first few days (didn't notice right away)

6)Description of Hair loss: (ex: thinned/ temples receded/ patches of hairloss/ dry/ etc) Receding hairline, hair thinning, manageable dry scalp, lost over 200 hairs a day

7) Family history of hair (Father, Mother, Uncles, Grandfathers etc): No family history of hairloss, some early hair color graying but no hairloss, everyone has very thick hair including grandparents

8)Did the lost hair regrow? Yes

• a)Did it return to its original state (texture etc)? Yes and no, hair is still thin but growing back more thicker
  • b) How long did it take untill the regrowth process began?
2 months

Biotin - did not help

Collagen protein - helped with hair growing

Edited by shoes

FORM

1) Dosage of Accutane:
40mg,50,60mg,80mg(3months)100mg(1-1/2month)

2) Months on Accutane:
7 1/2 months- stopped due to problems

No, still have skin colored cysts, face never got dry or flaky or red.

4) Type of hair before accutane
(Thickness/Amount of oil/ Texture/Already receding?/color/additional info)
:
extremely thick/normal/normal/no/blonde

5) Point in time in which hair loss began:
(ex: 2 months post accutane) 2months post accutane/ was acutally thicker while on Accutane. Then 2 months after full body hair loss.....????

6)Description of Hair loss:
(ex: thinned/ temples receded/ patches of hairloss/ dry/ etc)- Hair fell out all over the body, is very thin, dry,strands seem thinner, seems to have more breakage, have severe dandruff that no shampoo has helped.

None all had full heads of hair into thier 60's

8)Did the lost hair regrow?-
No, it has started growing, but at a much slower pace, along with that hair still falls out so it is still thin. eyelashes came back except in one area, body hair came back, but it grows at a very slow pace also and is not the same.

• a)Did it return to its original state (texture etc)? No
  • b) How long did it take untill the regrowth process began? 8 months- had been concentrating on other issues from accutane first.

I started using rx Iron, Biotin, I use oils for the dryness, shampoos and conditioners and products to give illiusion of thickness (aveda products/pantene). Theese just control not loosing any futher hairloss....It has been over a 1yr and my hair has never been the same.

I might add too that I stay away from many types of Vit A. Any supplements with Vit A. I do still eat vegtables w/beta carotene, but sometimes I notice symptoms increase.

I will say that my thyroid was disrupted from Accutane and though thyroid pts experince hairloss, this was way beyond that and most thyroid pts hair recovers once corrected from what I have read. I will say my hair has never recovered...

Begining to think I will have to try other avenues for my hair. Such as topical steroids,collegan etc....

Edited by oli girl

1) Dosage of Accutane: 80mg/day

2) Months on Accutane: 6 months

3) Did accutane clear your acne? For 1 year then acne came back.

4) Type of hair before accutane (Thickness/Amount of oil/ Texture/Already receding?/color/additional info): very thick, very oily, soft, non receding, dark brown.

5) Point in time in which hair loss began: (ex: 2 months post accutane): 1 month in started thining.

6)Description of Hair loss: (ex: thinned/ temples receded/ patches of hairloss/ dry/ etc) thinned temples, and thinned top.

7) Family history of hair (Father, Mother, Uncles, Grandfathers etc): 1 uncle.

* a)Did it return to its original state (texture etc)?

* b) How long did it take untill the regrowth process began?

never as thick as before but grew in more then started again to shed

9)Have you used any additional supplements, or drugs to help regrowth? 1 month of nizoral, biotin, vitamin e, aloe vera on hair.

1) Dosage of Accutane: 80 mg/day (two 40 mg pills), actually Sotret (generic for Accutane). (I weigh roughly 175 lbs., so about 1 mg/kg bodyweight/day.)

2) Months on Accutane: 5 1/2

3) Did accutane clear your acne? No. I was able to clear it later through diet.

4) Type of hair before accutane: Thick, fairly oily, straight, not receding, dark brown.

5) Point in time in which hair loss began: Probably about 2 months after starting Accutane, but not obviously noticeable until about 4 months in.

6)Description of Hair loss: Thinning all over, but worst on crown, temples, and especially on the whole top region. Hairs themselves became smaller and weaker, and hair acquired a lifeless, limp quality. Also some abnormal curling. Hair was much more dry and frizzy.

7) Family history of hair: Both my parents underwent only normal hair thinning / graying with age. Nothing extraordinary.

8)Did the lost hair regrow? It's been ten months post-Accutane now, and I can definitely say that yes, there is significant regrowth. I'd say it's about 50% better. It wasn't until about nine months after finishing Accutane that it became noticeably better. It looks & feels much better (thickness, texture, etc. have all improved), although it is still thinner than it used to be. Hopefully in time it'll improve more until it gets back to the way it should be. I still hate Accutane, though.

9)Have you used any additional supplements, or drugs to help regrowth? I used jojoba oil at one point in an attempt to help with the dryness, but it just made my hair unnaturally oily, and of course it didn't do anything for the thinning, frizziness, curling, etc. For me, the only thing that worked was giving it time - just waiting.

Edited by Thulsa Doom

FORM

1) Dosage of Accutane: 40mg/pd

2) Months on Accutane: 6 weeks

3) Did accutane clear your acne? No

4) Type of hair before accutane (Thickness/Amount of oil/ Texture/Already receding?/color/additional info): Normal, blonde hair, thin hair but no receding hairline or hair loss

5) Point in time in which hair loss began: (ex: 2 months post accutane): 2 weeks

At 2 weeks hair thinned at one temple. At 3 months hair fell out at temples and over top of head in a diffused pattern over the course of a few days, then continued and still continues until today (16 months later)

7) Family history of hair (Father, Mother, Uncles, Grandfathers etc): No hair loss, thinning hair for one uncle on my mother's side. Both Grandfathers, uncles and father have lots of hair with no receding even at temples (all in their mid-50s and older)

No

Hair falls out and regrows, however hair has not returned to my temples. Hair is very thin, would estimate at 70% hair loss on top of my head and has gradually become thinner and thinner over the past 16 months. I have some thinner hairs and deformed hairs growing in. I have a lot of scalp inflammation and itching/burning.

Will let you know when it happens.

I've tried vitamin C, vitamin E, Emu Oil, Evening Primrose, Minoxidil, Topical Steroids, Nizoral

None have been effective.

My last attempt at assisting this problem will be to try injecting steroids into my scalp. After that I will let it take its course.

Anyone use Dr. Pickart's copper hair products? They're supposed to be phenomenal for hair loss in general.

FORM

1) Dosage of Accutane:40mg

2) Months on Accutane:6 months

3) Did accutane clear your acne?yes

4) Type of hair before accutane (Thickness/Amount of oil/ Texture/Already receding?/color/additional info)Very fine hair, but lots of it/normal amount of oil, slightly greasy if i dont wash for a few days, soft, not receding, jet black hair. Very fine strands, but alot of them:

5) Point in time in which hair loss began: 3 months into starting accutane

6)Description of Hair loss: VERY dry hair, alot of hair shedding, all over body (eyebrows, facial hair, pubic hair, but back of my head never a hair lost..:S)

7) Family history of hair (Father, Mother, Uncles, Grandfathers etc): Mothers Father lost hair, Father lost hair, all uncles on mums side lost hair, Fathers father still has hair, older brother losing hair (NO chance for me :() but they all lost it in their 30s-40s, not when they're 19.

8)Did the lost hair regrow? Not yet

• a)Did it return to its original state (texture etc)? Never changed in texture
  • b) How long did it take untill the regrowth process began? Still losing it 8 months post

9)Have you used any additional supplements, or drugs to help regrowth? Zinc, biotin, msm

Edited by boyo

Hi Everyone,

There are topics about accutane and hair loss around the Internet, but I wanted to start a new thread to discuss a possible solution to your problem. I hope you will read this story, as I believe it will help the people out there who are sick from Accutane.

I took Accutane in my teens and had severe side effects from the drug. I developed colitis and experienced severe hair shedding. I was on a dosage that was far too high for my weight (100mg/145 pounds; started at 40mg then 60, then 80, then 100). What's worse is that when I took Accutane my skin had a very unusual apperance, and I continued to get acne even though it wasn't as bad as pre-Accutane. While I was on Accutane, I was constantly sick, and this did not stop after ceasing Accutane; rather, my hair remained thin for several years and my bowels remained severely disrupted. I found that I could no longer take in Vitamin A, even from food, without causing hair shedding.

Following my Accutane course, I was in great distress due to my hair irregularities (shedding and thinning). I scoured the Internet and found people just like me who never found a solution to their problem. For several years I accepted the fact that Accutane had permanently damaged my body. Though I never went bald, my hair remained abnormally thin. I also could not take in any form of Vitamin A.

My acne eventually came back full force, and perhaps worse, a few years after my Accutane course. Since I knew I could not take Accutane, I looked for natural methods of healing. I came across colon cleansing and tried a variety of products. THIS SAVED MY LIFE. What I didn't realize for all those years, was that I was sick BECAUSE Accutane was still lodged somewhere in my colon. That would explain the continued stomach problems and continued hair thinning - the Accutane was still present in my body even though I discontinued taking the drug.

Since doing a colon cleanse, I no longer have any adverse reaction to Vitamin A, whether it be from food or a multivitamin pill. My hair is no longer abnormally thin and has returned to the way it was pre-Accutane. However, my stomach still has problems, and I fear that will never return to 100%. Still, I have to let all the people out there who suffered similar symptoms as me, know that there is a possible solution for your problems. YOU HAVE TO GET THE ACCUTANE OUT OF YOUR COLON. If that doesn't work, I suggest possibly doing a liver cleanse from a trusted source.

I should give you a warning, though. When you do your colon cleanse, your acne may get worse, as mine did. However, I think it was worth it. I now have my life back and I no longer worry about my hair, and I can now eat vegetables like a normal person.

Thank you for reading and I hope those who have experienced something similar to me may benefit from this post.

P.S. I do NOT work for any kind of colon cleansing company. As you can see, I have not advertised any specific product. I advise you to do your own Internet search - there are many companies out there who create good colon cleansing products, but I will not list them here.

FORM

1) Dosage of Accutane:

40 MG

2) Months on Accutane:

2-3 weeks

Yes

Not sure but I had thick Afro type hair/not oily or dry/it was soft when I combed it out/not receding/black

Same month I started, clumps of hair falling

Temples receded, thnned on side, patchy/dry hair all over head.

None

No

Yes, nothing works.

FORM

1) Dosage of Accutane:

40 MG

2) Months on Accutane:

2-3 weeks

Yes

Not sure but I had thick Afro type hair/not oily or dry/it was soft when I combed it out/not receding/black

Same month I started, clumps of hair falling

Temples receded, thnned on side, patchy/dry hair all over head.

None

No

Yes, nothing works.

You really sound like you are experiencing something to similar to what I experienced. How much is your hairline receding, exactly? In some cases Accutane triggers Male Pattern Baldness (MPB) and this may not be reversible. However, if you find you are continuing to shed or your hair is still very thin, then it is very likely that the Accutane is still present in your body, which is why these symptoms continue.

If you refuse to believe in a colon cleanse, try not taking in any Vitamin A for 2-3 weeks. This means no fruit or vegetables that contain vitamin A, no multivitamin that contains Vitamin A, etc. I think you will find that your hair will improve. The reason is that your body still thinks you have too much Vitamin A, because the Accutane is present in your colon. Any additional vitamin A in the form of food or vitamins only exacerbates the problem.