Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newkidhere

What's Worse, Having Acne or Getting Acne?

As the title of the post says, which is worse, having acne or getting acne?

It is my personal opinion and experience, that GETTING ACNE sucks more than actually having acne.

If you're confused, I mean this:

I got acne by the age of 19, an explosive wave of cystic/nodule acne that seemingly came from nowhere after being acne free for 18 years.

So obviously, this upset me and got me depressed.

Then it all magically disappeared by this year's past spring season. And the marks disappeared by the summer and the scars somehow magically healed almost completely. I looked like my old self.

Now it is winter (same time last year where I got an explosive bout of acne)

and my face has exploded in not acne per se, but rather MILIA, many of which have become papules and then pustules/whiteheads. Now this is much better than last year's nodules and cysts but the very fact that I went through cystic acne makes me suspicious of every little bump on my complexion, even if it's been there before or is not a pimple at all.

Thus to me, the psychological effects of GETTING ACNE is much worse than actually having having acne. Now I am not saying I'd rather have acne my whole life. but it sure sucks psychologically being paranoid of every bump on your complexion and your heart sinks...and for all you know, it could be nothing!

Anyone agree?

In addition:

It's like acne just teases and messes with you

You get so gloriously happy when you finally rid yourself of a couple of bumps and marks.

You're ready to go out and have fun again!

and all of a sudden you cross-examine yourself in the bathroom mirror, and your heart sinks because right where your last pimple was, there is another one growing...

and then it's a recurring cycle of feeling good, then shitty right after.

For me, as someone who has always struggled with acne it is the unpredictability of breakouts.

I've gotten a good handle on my acne now. But for a number of years there I would manage to clear up my skin and then it would explode. Talk about frustrating!

Equally as bad. Although I do know that sinking feeling when you noticed a new spot. Does everyone else categorize spots on their face? Like you know when a spot has cyst, pustule or whitehead potential.

Think about it - if you have acne it will eventually heal, but if you're getting acne then you constantly have to deal with new pimples and won't ever have a clear face. Therefore, having acne is better.

"It's like acne just teases and messes with you

You get so gloriously happy when you finally rid yourself of a couple of bumps and marks.

You're ready to go out and have fun again!

and all of a sudden you cross-examine yourself in the bathroom mirror, and your heart sinks because right where your last pimple was, there is another one growing...

and then it's a recurring cycle of feeling good, then shitty right after. "

That is so very, very true.

for me atleast, i think "getting acne." like when you breakout randomly and you're not used to it, it's really difficult. i went through it like 2 months ago. i have pretty nice skin, and i broke out all of a sudden. i felt so depressed and frustrated because i had no idea what had caused it. now my face is clearing up and going back to normal, but i guess now the fear of randomly getting it is still around.

Edited by tulipbaroo

nice to see im not alone lol

yeah getting acne sure sucks

i had perfect skin before, sure a tad oily, but pretty much clear

all of a sudden it's been breaking out crazy and it's hard to pinpoint where

now my skin is getting better again, but it's like....what if it breaks out again?

that constant paranoia i believe is the worst, really affects your social life

Newkidhere---> U keep saying ur acne is getting better...what exactly r u doing to make it better?

And as for ur question, yes, i agree with everyone else here that they are equally HORRIBLE.

But, since u asked which one is worse, I'll prolly say getting acne is worse.

Why? cuz its the same reason u mentioned earlier. Once u have acne, its very managable if u consistently use products. Problem is, new bumps come out almost everyday.

THIS IS WHAT KILLS EVERY ACNE SUFFERER.

The fact that u are trying and giving it your all, only to fail MISERABLY at the sight of a new bump.

To me, then, getting acne is A LOT more damaging simply because I really try to keep it in control but when a new bump surfaces, i feel terrible and almost as if I failed.

People (unless they have acne) have no idea how damaging it really is.

I'm still extremely surprised that there is no "Cure" or whatever u want to call it for acne. There should definetaly be some sort of medication or something for it.

Just like there are meds for high blood pressure or diabetes they should make drugs for acne. im not talking about accutane...

Im talking about an everyday drug that controls hormones or oil levels on a healthy level. Its just weird and almost insulting that no scientist still cant come up with a working, safe drug.

Also, isn't it funny then even though there is this standard treatment with accutane, accutane is the most talked about drug in the industry. it has the WORST side effects of any drug in the market right now. Its just soo weird.

why should an acne drug be THE MOST controversial drug out there. It just doesn't add up. That's why it got me thinking that why dont they make a safe working drug?

The answer is: they CAN but WONT at least not until the acne industry sucks out all of your cash first. Then, when they see its not that big of a deal, they'll introduce a working drug.

I'm still waiting for that day each and every waking moment.....:(

Edited by doble

Having. When you get it, it's usually easy to handle the first time. Having it is a pain in the rear bumper. :o It does mess you up mentally. It's happening to me as I type. I'm ok right now but, when I go to the restroom and wash my face....the mirror unblinds me...my self-esteem crashes and hits rock bottom while I cry a river and pray to God to help me. :pray:

"The fact that u are trying and giving it your all, only to fail MISERABLY at the sight of a new bump."

That is so true. That is what kills me. You have given my feeling a description. I can finally put in words what I am feeling to tell my mom (She acts like if it were nothing...she never had acne...I wish she could be in MY shoes and see how it kills you). Wowz. :) <3

to doble:

yeah my face is getting better

ummm idk really the reason honestly. it was last year when I had bad cystic acne out of nowhere. It had happend during the winter

so this winter...I was completely petrified by what would come (if, indeed, my acne before was somehow due to seasonal/hormonal changes).

But so far, not too bad. Still way more acne than I had in the summer/spring but nothing like last year.

I had like one cyst so far, which I freaked out about.

But I didn't touch it and it faded, except it left a mean brown mark though (ugh!).

So far, my worst acne has been coming from, ironically, milia that I accumulated through using heavy moisturizer! It's ironic because I had thought dry skin had caused my acne and so I bought heavy moisturizers and creams (all supposedly non-comodogenic or w/e) but now I have tons of milia, and now that I'm exfoliating to get rid of them-my current biggest problem is that these milia soon come to the surface and become clogged pores/whiteheads.

I haven't changed anything yet except use a regular Neutrogena cream wash and some aha moisturizer right after. Funny thing is, I got milia due to using Jojoba oil excessively before, hearing all the positive reviews.

Now I'm not trying to scare people off of jojoba oil, it sure does moisturize your skin but for me unfortunately, I am apparently milia-prone and it caused milia which in turn caused whiteheads.

they both suck, but having it is worse than getting it. when you've had it for a while, you kinda just learn to live with it. when yo're getting it after a taste of clear skin, it sucks!!!!

Having. When you get it, it's usually easy to handle the first time. Having it is a pain in the rear bumper. :o It does mess you up mentally. It's happening to me as I type. I'm ok right now but, when I go to the restroom and wash my face....the mirror unblinds me...my self-esteem crashes and hits rock bottom while I cry a river and pray to God to help me. :pray:

Well, I'm glad to help u put ur thoughts on paper.

It isn't easy to express yourself when your angry but u have to relax and let your mind do the talking not your emotions. Trust me on this. :)

And yeah, people who don't have acne will NEVER and I mean NEVER understand what we go through. I mean, It's not like I blame them...Some people have other situations that they must live with and they tell me all the time, "you'll never understand."

U know what....They're right, I'll never understand, So i back off. Tough lesson to learn but one worth learning and embracing...

Agreed!