Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stay strong

Can the depth of red marks be assessed?

Is there anyway a dermatologist or esthetician etc. can asses your red marks to see if they are in the epidermis only and therefore can be removed or faded with topicals, or if it has reached deeper into the subdermis and will therefore need lasers etc. to get rid of it?

Thanks but that doesn't exactly answer my question, I know the procedures to get rid of the pigmentation. I was asking if there was so sort of analyisis, either by machine or possibly by eye, a dermatologist could do to know if your pigmentation has reached your subdermis and therefore will need something more extreme than topicals, such as laser to get rid of.

I saw on Oprah a while back this derm was looking at this woman's face through this computer scanner machine, and she could see exactly the places underneath the woman's skin where future breakouts were going to happen. Could there be some sort of deep scanning machine to see how deep your pigmentation is?

Anyone know?

topicals usually will not work on red marks. The chemicals in it won't make it any better and u might risk irritating ur skin. I'm currently using the baby brush method to get rid of my red marks.

But im sure the derm can tell you if u should use topical or lasers.

topicals usually will not work on red marks. The chemicals in it won't make it any better and u might risk irritating ur skin. I'm currently using the baby brush method to get rid of my red marks.

But im sure the derm can tell you if u should use topical or lasers.

Topicals such as hydroquinone will work on red marks by stopping more pigment from being produced, then when used with something like retin-a or AHA to increase cell turnover, it will fade your marks over time. You could also use it with the baby brush method. But for all of these to work the red mark has to be in the epidermis only, even the baby brush method. Otherwise it's gotta be laser.