Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stay strong

Lately I've been thinking maybe I shouldn't have kids

I have a lot of time on my hands to think about my acne, so that's precisely what I do. I curse my genes daily for causing me this affliction and then think the last thing in the world I would want to do is cause my own child to go through what I am. Maybe I shouldn't have kids and pass on my faulty genes. I know this is a pretty sad thought to have, seeing as I really would love to have children one day, and I really shouldn't let this stop me, but the thought of them going through the pain I have seems so selfish. I mean ultimately this probably won't affect my decision to have kids when I'm ready to, I'm only 21 now, but I still can't help feeling this. Any one else feel this way?

I feel that way sometimes; if we do have kids the best thing to do is coach them from an early age on proper diet/skincare/acne prevention so, although they may have been genetically wired to get quite severe acne, the perfect lifestyle would have dramatically prevented a lot of acne.

Yeah i thought about this kind of thing too.

While i don't really want to have kids, i feel that advice would be a good from a young age (maybe give it along with sex ed) so that they can know how to not form bad acne.

I think my mom had bad acne when she was my age, but she never really told me any tips on how to battle it. I have had to find it all out for myself. Or maybe she had no advice because she didn't know any... oh well. If i ever do have kids, i will try not to make the same mistake.

I don't completely buy in to the genetics bullshit, at least not with acne. NO ONE in my family had acne, yet I find myself with severe acne.

I also have weird thoughts such as these. But It's never been to the extent that I wouldn't have kids. Just more of things along the lines of 'shit I can't finish uni and enter the workforce like this'.

When you have kids, just remember you would have gone through it and would know an incredible amount of information. You would restrict your kid's diet because you love them, and will know what works and what doesn't.

You can make it work, have kids!

I didn't develop acne until after having The Evil Spawn. My hormones went stir crazy after that and that's when acne reared its ugly head (pun intended). She's 14 now and gets the occassional pimples during her period, and every time she does I hope and pray she doesn't get cystic like I did. I worry for her.

As for genetics, I didn't even think about it until I came to this site and then went through old photos of my family. My grandfather had acne as a teenager, my dad was severe in his early teenage years and then it tapered off as he got older. One of my brothers was severe and has pitted scars all over his face. My mother's skin has always been sublime, as is my oldest brother's. I definitely believe acne has many culprits, genetics being one of them.

Edited by Siava

nah it's not because of genes ur kids may not have them...even if they did, o well they can learn lots of things....

i cant believe you guys would really not have kids just because you were worried about them getting acne?!.. are you guys serious!?

not sure how strong the genetic link is to be honest

plus it's not like a genetic heart defect or something serious or life threatening

i can understand why you wouldn't want a child to go through the bad experience of having acne though

i would suggest there are better reasons to have or not have children than acne...

tim

not sure how strong the genetic link is to be honest

plus it's not like a genetic heart defect or something serious or life threatening

i can understand why you wouldn't want a child to go through the bad experience of having acne though

i would suggest there are better reasons to have or not have children than acne...

tim

+1

:cool:

did anyone see the article on here by dan about there potentially being an acne vaccine within like the next 10 years?

hopefully it will exist then, and your worries needn't exist

As I said I'm not going to let thoughts like these actually stop me from having children but it is a concern that this will happen to them. I know by the time I'm ready to have children the fact that I have, actually scrap that, HAD acne (gotta start thinking positive) isn't going to make me say no I'm not going to do it. I haven't let acne pollute that far into my brain.

I guess I do know so much about acne, and by then I'll have even more information, I can help them a lot as you guys are saying. My mother had acne when she was younger, though no where near as bad as mine, and she had even less help then I did. So I guess it can only be better for the next generation.

I don't know, I reckon this genetic thing holds water in most cases (of course not all). I think our genes determine how susceptible to acne we are definitely, though isn't a total guarantee for one way or the other.

anonymou5-In your case I see your doing the candida route, which if it it's the cause of your acne would explain why you got acne but no one in your family did as candida is an intruding infection into your body type of the thing, not hereditary. By the way I went the candida route a while back for a real long time, unfortunately it didn't turn out to be the cause of my acne, and turned out I didn't even have candida. Oh well it sure got me healthy! :) Have you heard of the products threelac and fivelac? They are really good for candida, you should check them out.

toomanyman- A vaccine? Wow that's kinda freaky!

Perhaps I'll stay in until that vaccine arrives! yey!

vaccines are highly toxic, and the fact they're making a vaccine for acne shows how absolutely ridiculous the pharmaceutical industry is. accutane is really just a high dose of vitamin a, with terrible side effects, sometimes even making the acne worse. if accutane doesn't work, why would their vaccine?

i think about this alot.i have to sons & thinking of them going throw the pain of having ance is killing me .i dont know how else to put it i pray every night fo them.

So no your not the only one to think this

I have severe acne and I can honestly say I'm grateful for every breath I take. Despite all the pain I've experienced, more than just simply acne, I love life. I'm grateful for being capable of experiencing something as amazing as just existing. I would never have wanted my mother to not have me just because I would later develop acne.

First of all, it is definitely a genetic issue, remember our bodies are essentially reflections of our genome. Now for those that don't believe it because it isn't expressed elsewhere in the family there are numerous reasons for this. For example you may have inherited a mutated allele from either parent which means it is new to your family and therefor expressed for the first time in you. As far as siblings they just lucked out in the genetic lottery. I have three brothers and only I have acne.

Now as far as not reproducing because of it, that is absurd. Odds are you carry much more potentially lethal genetic material than acne. Also we are getting close to a point where we can literally pick and choose characteristics for in vitro pregnancy.