Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lover

New Regime - Not washing my face.

The background *optional to skip*: I have moderate acne (16-now), and a good amount of scarring because I mainly breakout on my cheeks. Never had a blackhead in my life, just too many whiteheads and inflamed grossness. The number of cysts I've had I can count with one hand. My brother has the same acne level as me, maybe a little worse 'cause he doesn't care as much as I do to clear it up. My parents didn't have to deal with it past high school, but he's 26 and I'm 19. I think it has to do with the strange combination of my mom's pure Russian blood and my dad's mutt southern roots. They also have nearly opposite phenotypes: mom is yellow skin, blue eyes, blond hair; dad is pink, dark eyes and hair. That's my completely unscientific theory at any rate.

After reading some posts on holistic approaches, I decided to try the opposite of everything I thought was right because it obviously wasn't working.

I haven't washed my face for a few days now. It felt entirely unnatural at first, but it doesn't seem to be hurting me. While my acne hasn't improved drastically (improved at least noticeably), it has not gotten any worse. All I'm doing is steaming it in the morning, putting on jojoba oil, steaming it again, and then gently rubbing the oil off (but some of it still stays on for all day, which is good). My skin feels so soft and my scars look lighter, but my inflamed pimples have stayed the same or gotten ever so slightly smaller. At night, I take off my mineral make-up with a gentle makeup remover sheet from the dollar store and rinse my face w/ warm water and than apply jojoba oil. I'll update in a few days.

Also:

---trying to detox, but not very strict about it because I'm hypoglycemic. my "cheat" detox includes:

>drinking tons of lemonade water with maple syrup (to keep my blood sugar level). My bro did this strictly for 7 days and his skin looked AMAZING. However, a) he also lost 10 pounds or so, which I can't afford to do b) he's not hypoglycemic.

>not eating a lot (I would, but eating ultra healthy is ultra expensive)

>only really eating fruits, veggies, yogurt and taking supplements (zinc, fish oil, E, D, all the B's practically).

>exercising just to sweat

>trying to relax and taking deep yoga breaths.

If it means anything, I don't feel that well because I'm light-headed and lethargic. I know this is because I'm not eating enough for my fast metabolism, however, I really want to see if this helps my skin. I feel like eating pasta, bread, steak and chicken right now.

I should probably have taken some before pictures, but I'd rather show you the great pictures after my skin shows serious improvement :surprised:

Sounds great - I am trying something very similar to you! I'm on day 5 and so far everything is great! I got the urge to wash my face yesterday, but I resisted! It is kinda scary to "let go" and just let your skin be, but I am very satisfied with the results so far. I have no new spots and my current ones are in the healing process.

Good luck!!

Why wouldn't you wash your face?

I can understand not using chemicals but there is nothing wrong with washing your face with water.

not washing protects your face among other things, you know, like a band-aid for an open wound whoosh

Not washing at all whatsoever is plain foolish; at least wash your face with warm water and a mild soap morning and night.

lol I always find it funny when people warn others like this... it is THEIR skin, if someone wants to try something, why should they care? Should be glad that THEY are doing the "crazy" experiment to see what happens... it only benefits the readers... they can make of it what they will.

Not washing at all whatsoever is plain foolish; at least wash your face with warm water and a mild soap morning and night.

lol I always find it funny when people warn others like this... it is THEIR skin, if someone wants to try something, why should they care? Should be glad that THEY are doing the "crazy" experiment to see what happens... it only benefits the readers... they can make of it what they will.

lol I always find it funny when people think that not washing their face whatsoever for days straight will somehow help their skin... it may seem like it's helping for the first few days but all that built up sebum and dead skin cells will only mean one thing in the end: MORE ACNE. Is this not obviously obvious? Yet people still attempt and persist with this extreme, ineffective regimen...

Edited by bojanglesk8

im sorry, i didnt know homo homo sapiens came about in the past century or so

You make no sense whatsoever.

You make no sense whatsoever.

and you should stop pretending to have sense

heehaa

lol I always find it funny when people think that not washing their face whatsoever for days straight will somehow help their skin... it may seem like it's helping for the first few days but all that built up sebum and dead skin cells will only mean one thing in the end: MORE ACNE. Is this not obviously obvious? Yet people still attempt and persist with this extreme, ineffective regimen...

... this is a pointless conversation, it will get no where... if you ever have an open mind, check out the posts where people have had success with this, and google skin acid mantle... sure, it is not a cure all and won't work for everyone, just like every other regimen. For me, I want to know if I grew out of my acne at some point but have continued the cycle by leaving my skin defenseless.

Again, if people want to try something, even if it sounds crazy, it is their choice and they have likely put thought into it and do not need people piping in saying it is not a good idea... how many discoveries have been stumbled upon by keeping an open mind and trying things that at first don't make sense...

in my personal opinion, not washing won't necessarily help acne in a lot of cases. If you're breaking out due to irritation because of the things you're putting on your face, then yeah, stopping that would most likely help. However, if your acne is an internal case - hormonal or diet related, then not washing probably won't help you much and external treatment would probably suppress symptoms - but that's just my opinion. I'm "masking" my symptoms right now, but I hope to alter my diet strictly after the holidays in hopes of clearing my skin for good.

All the same, at least you won't be destroying your skin.

Stopping washing and touching my face has given me the best skin I've had in 5 years, I expect it to completely clear up in 2-3 more weeks, I've been at it for 1 and a half weeks so far. I had 2-3 cysts plus some moderate acne before doing this, now its 2-3 very small pimples and small bumps on my forehead. Give it a try! The best thing I ever did, makes my past efforts and pain feel like an awful joke.

EDIT: If your going to do this, don't touch it at all for the first week. No water. After that every 3-4 days you should do a very quick rinse with purified water. Don't ever put tap water on your face.

Edited by AlteredCourse

I agree with Altered. It'll be hard to resist washing your face at first, but eventually you get used to it. Letting the water from your shower head hit your face directly can also dry out your skin and the pressure from the water could irritate any spots you currently have. Also, tap water is terrible for your skin.

Lover... i don't know if this is a really bad idea for me as i'm finally getting clear from retinoids, but whatever I want to do it. Im not going to wash my face for 30 days starting tonight i'm really curious to see what happens

There is a lot of truth to this!

I haven't been on here in ages because I tried the "letting go" routine.

I didn't go all the way because when I tried to stop washing my face completely for a few days I ended up messing with my skin more just because it felt SO gross. I was constantly blotting and picking and it was just bad!

However, I tried something else because I just got fed up with worrying about acne:

-I stopped using ALL anti-acne topical products.

-I started using a simple, non-exfoliating face wash (alternating Clearasil Stay Clear Daily Face Wash and Olay Sensitive Skin Daily Face Wash).

-I cut all makeup out except the minimum I could wear and still feel confident (small amount of mineral makeup on jaw line only, pressed powder, powder blush and mascara).

-I found a good makeup remover (Neutrogena Wipes) that didn't break me out so I didn't have to scrub with face wash to get my foundation off.

-I balanced my hormones with a birth control that works for the chemistry in my body (Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo).

-I started washing my face with only water in the morning if my skin felt dry.

-Most of all, I STOPPED TOUCHING MY FACE when I wasn't washing it and I made sure my hands were SPOTLESS beforewashing my face.

Looking in the mirror as little as possible also helped for the first couple months.

Now when I do catch my face in the mirror, I'm always surprised at how clear it looks! :) It's not perfect and probably never will be (no one's skin is perfect!), but it never gets to the point where I don't want to leave my house anymore.

I think a lot of us on here started out with simple, teenage acne which we exacerbated for years by trying too hard to control our skin. I realized this when my brother's BAD acne cleared on it's own without him doing anything other than growing up a little.

Edited by everyskyisblue__

I came across this idea through this thread http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Natural-R...en-t222289.html and have been following it for just over a week. I don't care if I have mild or even moderate acne, I just don't want to damage my skin further through the use of BP. I'm sick of spending so much money and applying this crap all the time, to have it only work some of the time. Already, my skin feels much better. It was oily as hell for the first couple days, but that subsided and now it's just flaky here and there because of dead skin. I think it's necessary to let this process go through it's motions in order for my damaged skin, which I've been applying BP to for over six years, to heal naturally and properly. Acne-wise, so far my face has been better than it has in years. I'm getting lots of little pimples, but usually I get big cystic type pimples, and so far I've had none of that type. The little pimples usually heal themselves, and I only pop them if they are whiteheads. It's still too early for me to tell how this will work out, but it feels right so far. Like I said, I can live with acne on some levels and I've never had an extreme case to begin with, I just want to be free of my dependency for benzoyl peroxide.