Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crevin

Please help-- need advice/encouragement or something--

Hi, I am a 25 yr old male. I've been battling cystic acne on my face since I was about 20. My back and chest are completely clear. I have tried everything as far as topicals-- Pro Activ, Murad, Acne Free, Retin-A, Tazorac, Azalic acid, DKR, mandelic acid-- and also tried a holistic approach (which actually seemd to make my acne worse). I lived off brown rice, chicken, and salad for almost a year. I basically followed the "Leo Kissen" diet (pretty extreme if you know what it is) and I took all kinds of supplements-- multivitamins, EFAs, and herbal extracts. It did nothing.

Right now, my acne isn't "horrible." I have lots of redness and redmarks around my cheeks, chin, and mouth. My forehead is totally clear. My siblings and parents tell me that it isn't that bad, but I feel that it is. I get at least 1-2 cysts per week that take always take weeks to subside. My complexion is very blotchy.

I am at a point now where I am just tired of it all. I have passed up on job interviews because of my acne. I am scared to talk to girls. I don't even like to leave my house at times because of my acne. It is really impacting my life. At the same time, I am scared about all the side effects of accutane. I have never had any major health problems and/or injuries. I just had my blood tests come back and my lipids and all that stuff came back perfectly fine. I am not allergic to anything (as far as I know, at least). I am in terrific physical shape and eat extremely healthy.

So, should I go through with it and begin accutane? I just feel that now is supposed to be the prime time of my life and it is kind of slipping away as I get older and older and keep thinking that I will eventually grow out of it, but then another year comes and goes and it is still here, and I am still stuck at home, scared to go see friends when my skin flares up. I don't want to be 35 and still having acne and thinking back to what I could have done (accutane, that is).

Thanks for any words of encouragement or advice. I can go in and pick up my accutane tomorow morning if I want.

Go for it. I know how it feels when everyone tells you "your acne isn't that bad" but you FEEL it. It matters to you and it's your life. You can't let acne get in the way of your life.

i think it is worth trying. I know accutane is a scary drug. my advice to you would be to talk it over with your doc and stay away from internet horror stories! millions of people take this drug and have great results. If you monitor your side effects and are honest with your doc the worst case senario with accutane is not that you'll have to live with some scary side effect but that you'll be taken off the drug.

Long story short, I feel you 100% on every level. I said fuck it and just did it, the thought of doing it sounds horrible from some of the war stories posted here. I too was nervous before I started it and for the first few days of starting it. I don't even think about taking it, it's just routine, and I'm not worried at all about it. I have very few side effects, and the self esteem boost and rise in confidence from no acne OUTWEIGHS the side effects 1000000%. I sometimes didn't want to leave my dorm room because of I hated how acne made me look.

What do you have to do lose? I think side effects are minimal and people put the blame on accutane for all their problems; although some are valid.

I say do it.