Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So for about a month and a half, I've restricted my diet. I haven't been drinking milk, pop, or juice. In addition to not drinking milk I've not eaten any dairy products. I stopped eating junk food, and now probably eat a few tortilla chips a week.

I was eating a lot of vegetables, and I bought some fruit. I tried eating oranges, and got acne. I tried eating bananas, and got acne. I tried eating apples, and got acne. What I mean by this is that when I ate the fruit, the next day I woke up with 1 or 2 spots, but by the following night, I'd have anywhere up to 5. I gave my skin a week to clear up after eating each different fruit, and the same thing happened. I think it might be the sugar in the fruits. I don't know, but I'm staying away from them.

Last year, I went on doxycycline for about 3 months, and nothing happened. In May of this year, I was prescribed them again, and have just now decided not to take them anymore (about 6 months). Both times I went on them, it was 200mg a day. Now, I think that I might have developed a candida infection, so I bought a supplement to try and fight it. The supplement includes Pau D'Arco, Oregano Oil, Black Walnut, and Caprylic Acid. There's about 90 capsules in it, so I will be going on this for 45 days (2 pills a day)

So far a normal day would consist of:

Breakfast:

Toast, either with peanut butter, or buttered with some cinnamon sugar. (It would be something healthier, but I wake up for school, and have less than 5 minutes for breakfast)

Lunch:

Sandwich: Usually peanut butter and jelly, salami, or roast beef.

Handful of baby carrots

Granola bar

Nutri-gain bars

Small amount of pretzel sticks

When I get home from school:

2 Tuna fish sandwiches (Uses on can of tunafish)

More baby carrots

Dinner:

Salad: Lettuce and spinich, with croutons and Italian dressing

Whatever my mom makes. Whatever it is, I'll take out what I know I shouldn't eat (cheese, applesauce, etc)

Supplements:

Candida medicine

6 pills of fish oil at 500mg omega-3 each (3,000 mg)

I know, not the most extensive diet ever, but I'm only a teenager, and my parents aren't made of money. I can't go to any health store, or buy organic stuff, because my mom flips out at me saying that we don't need to spend that much, and that the big-brand items are much cheaper. I also have some other supplements, which include: Beta-carotene (25,000 IU), and another that has 800 IU Vitamin D, 1000 mg Calcium, and 500 mg Magnesium. I'm not too sure whether these supplements are good to take yet, so I'm going to wait a bit.

Since I came off the antibiotics, I tried getting some probiotics. For whatever reason, I thought it'd be a good reason to drink some probiotic yogurt. That was two days ago. I drank 9.2 fl oz of yogurt between Tuesday and Wednesday. Last night and this morning I had a lot of big sized whiteheads, that I haven't had in about 5 months. They were really big, and all right below the sides of my mouth, where I used to get them this big as well. I believe that it's because of the hormones in the yogurt that did it, or maybe I'm lactose intolerant. Whatever the case, no more yogurt.

I'm going to the doctors this Tuesday to get an allergy test. Hopefully that will tell me some more foods that I should stay away from, or give me evidence on why the stuff I've eaten before has had bad effects.

As I go along, I'll probably remove some stuff from my diet, and add some stuff as well. The big thing I'm looking at right now is bread. I've heard people say that grains are hard to digest, and that the yeast will only strengthen candida, so I might have to do something with that.

And with that, I make my leave. Hopefully my next days will be better than my last two.

I've been researching candida and doing a lot of research on it lately, myself. You're diet is not really an anti-candida one.

Such diets consist dominantly of meat, veggies and maybe some nuts.

Sugar - from junk OR fruit, will feed candida. So will artificial sweeteners.

Bread is a huge no-no. Anything with yeast is, so I'd steer clear of that morning toast and lunch time sandwich. You're feeding the infection - even in small portions. Also note that most peanut butter brands contain sugars and things as well. Everywhere I've read has said to stay away from peanuts AND peanut butter if you have candida. Try almonds or almond butter, instead.

Granola bars, nutri-grain bars and pretzel sticks are even more fuel for the fire. They contain corn syrups, starches and so on. Stay clear of them along with your croutons.

Basically, you should be eating a lot of raw foods, particularly things like broccoli, spinach, kale, and leafy greens in general. You should also be eating meats that are not battered or fried.

I found some good sites, but they're bookmarked at home (at work right now) that explain things and help out a little more if you'd like me to post them.

In addition to your Pau D'Arco, Oregano Oil, Black Walnut, and Caprylic Acid, you can also try grapefruit seed extract and garlic. They're potent anti-fungals and lots of people have had success with them. A lot of people have also had luck with apple cider vinegar (raw, organic and unpasteurized with the mother). It's organic, so your mom may not spring for it, but it's actually pretty darn cheap, believe it or not. You just add a tablespoon or two to some water (I think it tastes better with lemon added as well) and sip it through the day.

OH! And there's a product called Threelack of Fivelac. It's a candida treatment and has decent reviews. Apparently some people don't even restrict their diets when they take it?

And don't forget that you may get "die off" symptoms. It also means your acne may get worse if you kill off a bunch of candida at once as well as flu like symptoms, but it should be temporary.

I'm considering an anti-candida diet log as well. I'm not sure if I have candida or not, but I have a lot of symptoms that just won't go away otherwise. The holidays are making me iffy though. I know I'm easily pressured into pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes. We'll see.

Good luck!

what she said.

Probiotics are gonna be a key piece of the puzzle. At least for me it was.

Getting it under control by diet alone is rough.

I've been researching candida and doing a lot of research on it lately, myself. You're diet is not really an anti-candida one.

Such diets consist dominantly of meat, veggies and maybe some nuts.

Sugar - from junk OR fruit, will feed candida. So will artificial sweeteners.

Bread is a huge no-no. Anything with yeast is, so I'd steer clear of that morning toast and lunch time sandwich. You're feeding the infection - even in small portions. Also note that most peanut butter brands contain sugars and things as well. Everywhere I've read has said to stay away from peanuts AND peanut butter if you have candida. Try almonds or almond butter, instead.

Granola bars, nutri-grain bars and pretzel sticks are even more fuel for the fire. They contain corn syrups, starches and so on. Stay clear of them along with your croutons.

Basically, you should be eating a lot of raw foods, particularly things like broccoli, spinach, kale, and leafy greens in general. You should also be eating meats that are not battered or fried.

I found some good sites, but they're bookmarked at home (at work right now) that explain things and help out a little more if you'd like me to post them.

In addition to your Pau D'Arco, Oregano Oil, Black Walnut, and Caprylic Acid, you can also try grapefruit seed extract and garlic. They're potent anti-fungals and lots of people have had success with them. A lot of people have also had luck with apple cider vinegar (raw, organic and unpasteurized with the mother). It's organic, so your mom may not spring for it, but it's actually pretty darn cheap, believe it or not. You just add a tablespoon or two to some water (I think it tastes better with lemon added as well) and sip it through the day.

OH! And there's a product called Threelack of Fivelac. It's a candida treatment and has decent reviews. Apparently some people don't even restrict their diets when they take it?

And don't forget that you may get "die off" symptoms. It also means your acne may get worse if you kill off a bunch of candida at once as well as flu like symptoms, but it should be temporary.

I'm considering an anti-candida diet log as well. I'm not sure if I have candida or not, but I have a lot of symptoms that just won't go away otherwise. The holidays are making me iffy though. I know I'm easily pressured into pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes. We'll see.

Good luck!

Yeah, this last week has been comprised of many discoveries for me. First off, I went to the allergists, to get an allergy test done. I suspected that allergies for oranges and bananas would show up, which they did, but so did yeast. This led me to do research and find out that yeast causes candida growths. Since then, I've limited my diet even more. Now, I'm not eating anything with yeast in it, even if it's some soup that has yeast under the "contains 2% or less of the following:" listing.

This created some problems for me, due to my parents again. I love sandwiches, and since bread is a no-no now, I asked my mom to get some ezekiel bread. She asked why, and I told her because it doesn't have yeast in it. She starts flipping out saying that if I want my special food, that I have to get a job and buy it myself. So as for now, I have to live without bread :X

Also, I decided to get some kefir, to get some probiotics. I got some on Tuesday, and by Wednesday I started to have a die off symptom. Because of the candida, I would get frequent sinus infections. After I drank the kefir, the die off made me have another sinus infection, one that was worse than normal. It was accompanied with a fever (102º C), and a sore throat. Today, I'm still sick, although the sinus infection has gone down because I've been gargling salt water.

Other than that, I've been reading ingredient labels more. Anything with a lot more ingredients than there should be, I stay away from. At first, I was kinda tired and always hungry, but now I have constant, moderate energy, and I'm never hungry. The only problem with this is, I'm losing weight. Before I started all of this (2 months-ish), I was 145 lbs. Now, I'm 130 lbs D: I need something to help me gain some weight back. This is where the peanut butter helped me, but because I can't eat sandwiches, I don't have it as frequently. I can make other stuff, but I have a hard time taking that to lunch to eat, and usually just end up going without a lunch.