Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxxrlxxx

I can't live my life with this for much longer!

I'm 15 and have had really bad acne since I was 12 years old (when I first started secondary school). I went to my doctor and she has prescribed me just about everything. You name it, I've probably tried it. A lot of them I was allergic to, had bad side effects to, or just became immune to after it mildly worked.

I went on Roaccutane for 4 months, and the dermatologist said it was worth it because it only comes back in very rare cases. Guess I was just one of those "rare cases" :( I would never consider going back on it, EVER. It helped my skin so much, but after 2 months of coming off, it came back.. I don't know if it's worse or if I'm just exaggerating because it came back and I was annoyed. At the time I could put up with the sore lips, depression and not being able to wear make-up because of dry, scaly skin... but that was because I thought it would never come back so it was all worth the wait. Knowing what I do now I could never put myself through that again.

I have been miserable ever since my bad skin came back, and have been put on Marvelon (A contraceptive pill). Nothing has happened, and I'm just over half way through the 3rd month, which is nearly a month over when other people I've researched about on the internet's skin cleared up.

I really don't think I can go on with this any more, my confidence is going, I can't enjoy parties and I can't even be around some of my closest friends because I'm always comparing myself to them. A lot of friends and family have told me they don't even notice it when I wear make-up, but that does nothing for my confidence because I still know it's there... and I can only be myself on a good skin day.. otherwise I just mope around at school trying not to be noticed, or on worse day's I've even pretended to be ill.

I can't keep going on like this because I've got my GCSE's coming up next year! I really want to do well but all I can think about at the moment is how bad my skin is.

I really can't think of anything else, and I can't spend heaps more money on "acne treatments" which probably wont work... I don't think my dad would give me the money for it, and I certainly can't afford it.

:( Please help me.

P.s I have tried the regimen from this website, it didn't work. I tried it for ages. :(

The feeling is highly mutual.

I know exactly how it feels.

It's not depression, or a feeling so emphatic you equivocate it to being dead- but it's just plain miserable and irritating.

I finished a 5 month Accutane course and only 3 months later, it's back.

As you expressed, it might not be as bad, but after being clear and happy thinking that acne ceases to exist, even the smallest defect can make you feel terrible.

I've actually missed 3 weeks of college since the problem has re-occurred.

On Doxy and Retin-A now.

I want to live again :/

Good luck to you! You'll get through this, you'll be happy one day! Don't give up!

Edited by tick_

I'm sorry you are going through this :comfort: I think a majority of the people here can say they know what it's like.

I wish you the best of luck. I don't think anyone here can make you happy besides yourself. It'll take time, a lot of it, but I promise you'll start to love yourself sooner or later. <3 Don't give up!

i feel the same way. just turned down a party invite because of my skin. hopefully one day we can all feel good about ourselves and move on to bigger and better things.

i hope...

I know what you are going thru. I started breaking out at 24, two years ago. I also had a microdermabrasion to try to help it and it distroyed my skin!! All red and veiny and raw, and that did not go away. on top of that after the microdermabrasion every pore in my face was a zit. It was horrible. I have have IPL treatments to help the redness, but i dont think my skin will ever be the same. It was very bad. I havent gone out with friends or anything in 2 years from my depression. I am also allergic to most of the antibiotics and since the microdermabrasion i cant use any topical acne treatments. I have been on YAZ birth control for 4 months now and it has been the only thing that has helped at all. Im still not completely clear, but at least its better. But still not good enough. I am still hoping for it to clear. You are only 15 right? Im sure you could try it, but i think since you are so young your acne will clear when the hormones balance themselves and getting on birth control might mess up your hormones even more when you try to get off them. I had a friend who started breaking out very badly in 4th grade. she was a very fast developer. Her skin is now very clear. There is hope for you. dont give up. I know how depressing it is. you will get thru this. By the way, if you did go on birth control. I broke out worse the first 1-3 months on it and then it started getting clearer. on month 4 and not clear yet, but its much better. Still hoping for the best tho. Good luck.

"...and the dermatologist said it was worth it because it only comes back in very rare cases."

I guess she's never heard of genetic acne, then? If she thinks acne only comes back in "rare cases" after accutane she isn't much of a derm in my opinion...

Best of luck to you.

:comfort: I am sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time. It is important to remember that acne doesn't limit you, YOU limit you.

I am not trying to be a motivational hallmark cared or insinuate that it is somehow easy to live your life despite acne. But are you not the same person you were before? And if not, could you be? That's the challenge. I had to face that challenge myself. It's not an easy one, but anyone can meet it.

I'm surprised your derm let you use Roaccutane at all. You are only 15 and still subject to a lot of hormonal changes. Accutane will not prevent that from happening.

Have you checked out the boards for other acne products? There are a myriad of choices, from the AHA's (the 'acids'... as in azelaic, mandelic, glycolic, lactic, ect) to homeopathic recipes.

I know it is tough, and venting is welcome here. We are here for you and know you can get through this. <3

I'm sorry you're feeling so down. I've had acne for over ten years and the oral contraceptive (Diane) has been the only thing that has worked for me. It has never made me 100% clear, but it stops me from getting cysts. My doctor said it normally takes 5 -6 months to see results . For me it took around 8 months to see a major difference. Maybe stick with the pill for a little longer

Edited by lucy_123

I know how you feel, but no matter how impossible it sounds, look at the bright side your acne will be gone one day. Just make sure it doesnt scar. Thats the killer.

I know how you feel, but no matter how impossible it sounds, look at the bright side your acne will be gone one day. Just make sure it doesnt scar. Thats the killer.

Thanks. Guess I'm fucked then.