Notifications
Clear all

Buckwheat - strongly inflammatory???

MemberMember
(@strato)

Posted : 12/02/2009 1:30 pm

Since I eat buckwheat in the mornings and sometimes at the nights, I decided to look it up.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-...nd-pasta/5681/2

The site says that buckwheat is strongly inflammatory. How is that possible? It must be a mistake right? I thought buckwheat was healthy. I've been literally eating tons of it!

MemberMember
(@tigermike)

Posted : 12/02/2009 3:39 pm

The glycemic load is 63. It recommends a total number of less than 100 per day.

So you've spent most of that on 1 cup of buckwheat.

What else?...well...79% of the calories in buckwheat are coming from carbohydrates

122g of carbs per cup to be exact. Thats a lot considering you should be trying as hard as possible to have your total intake per day be less than 300g if you're suffering from blood sugar related acne.

The fatty acid ratio is terrible.

Omega 3 133mg

Omega 6 1634mg

That's inflammation right there.

There's alot of calories in one cup...so that's good...but...mostly carbs and very little fat, so it may not be satiating.

On second thought, there is a lot of fiber so that may "fill you up".

Good news: Seems to score pretty high for certain nutrients and has a full protein score.

Nutrition Data scores it a 2.1/5 on "filling" and 3.5/5 on nutritious

So overall it IS pretty healthy, just don't go crazy with it (as with all cereals/grains).

MemberMember
(@strato)

Posted : 12/02/2009 5:23 pm

I thought I had the perfect breakfast... I'm already on the strictest diet I can be (no sugars, that includes fruits and sweet veggies like carrots, no grains, no dairy, no processed foods). I tried to substitute buckwheat with eggs but that didn't work out very well, I think it caused a breakout. I'm running out of food to eat. I mostly only eat chicken and fish with a lot of veggies...

MemberMember
(@tigermike)

Posted : 12/03/2009 7:06 pm

I thought I had the perfect breakfast... I'm already on the strictest diet I can be (no sugars, that includes fruits and sweet veggies like carrots, no grains, no dairy, no processed foods). I tried to substitute buckwheat with eggs but that didn't work out very well, I think it caused a breakout. I'm running out of food to eat. I mostly only eat chicken and fish with a lot of veggies...

strict diets are okay for a couple weeks or a month to "jumpstart" some type of anti-acne commitment. However, the only "diet" that is going to work for you will be one that is maintainable for the long run.

It's great that you're restricting grains, dairy and processed foods. But realize that you probably aren't going to give these up forever. Therefore allow yourself to "cheat" just every once and awhile.

Don't freak out if you have some buckwheat for breakfast a couple times a week. Or some cheese as an ingredient in a meal one week. Go ahead eat your favorite processed "junk" once in a blue moon.

The point is to eat healthy and eat for your skin 80-90% of the time. Your body will eventually heal itself to the point where it can handle these "road bumps". But it will take time. Imagine all those years that you ate poorly...it can't be fixed in a couple weeks. It will take time. Just make the Majority of your choices wise ones.

And 1 or 2 pieces of fruit per day is fine as long as you watch the portion size/sugar content and try eating them alone.

Experiment with different meats (beef, pork, duck, fish, bison) and different cuts.

Look into cultural/ethnic food. There are often recipes from other cultures that are quite healthy and extremely tasty. I personally love making Curry and Stir Fry.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your health!

Goodluck!

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 12/03/2009 10:00 pm

The glycemic load is 63. It recommends a total number of less than 100 per day.

So you've spent most of that on 1 cup of buckwheat.

Hmm... that can't be right. This site says it has a GL of 13.5: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/glycemi...ails.php?id=381

And buckwheat contains a substance called d-chiro-inositol which is actually very helpful for decreasing insulin resistance and controlling blood sugar.

What else?...well...79% of the calories in buckwheat are coming from carbohydrates

122g of carbs per cup to be exact. Thats a lot considering you should be trying as hard as possible to have your total intake per day be less than 300g if you're suffering from blood sugar related acne.

Maybe that's for 1 cup dry, which no one would ever eat in one sitting. A serving is more like 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup dry.

The fatty acid ratio is terrible.

Omega 3 133mg

Omega 6 1634mg

That's inflammation right there.

But you can make up for this by getting omega 3s from other foods/supplements.

Don't cut out buckwheat, unless you know it's breaking you out. Honestly, it's NOT normal and healthy to eat only meat and veggies. If foods like buckwheat, eaten in moderation, break you out, then something is going on (maybe Candida overgrowth, leaky gut, etc.) and you should try to get to the root of the problem. Some people do need to cut out all starches, etc. for some time, but it shouldn't have to be a long term thing.

MemberMember
(@dani5665)

Posted : 09/11/2020 10:13 am

hi I read this posta while ago researching buckwheat a classic food in my household.Im disappointed with the results but I instantly thought of this post when my mom made millet for me today. Its an anti inflammatory and its similar to buckwheat. The pieces are smaller and a yellow color but more fun in my opinion! thought I would let you know this not inflammatoryalternative to buckwheat!