Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LittleTweety

The Water Method. Scratch that. The Water & Jojoba Method.

December 1st, 2009: The day I stopped washing my face...

I've been lurking here for a month or so and have been intrigued with diet & natural cleansing methods.

The water only method makes sense to me, not only because of the whole skin acid mantle thing, but because as I think back upon my experience with acne, I wonder if I had to have it so badly at all... I started getting pimples on my forehead in sixth grade (age 11? I'm now 22) and of course I picked at them so I kept having more. Around seventh grade I was more self-conscious and the charade began... all types of cleansers, medicated pads, topicals... my acne did not go away from anything we tried; salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide (worked best), Carley's, natural soap, blah blah. Instead, it spread. I next got it on my cheeks and chin, and occasionally on my jaw line (esp. after Murad - bleh).

The regimen I have been following before this method was to wash my face once a day in the shower with a bp cleanser. I would let hot water run on my face to open my pores then pat and gently massage in cleanser. I would let it stay on my face for the duration of my shower then rinse it off right before getting out. I would apply tretinoin gel after my face was dry. This was minimalist compared to what I used to do and I was afraid I would break out from "carelessness", but my acne reduced the most it ever had by this method. For a few days before trying the water only regimen, I was using the oil cleansing method. I liked it but I have really been wanting to try the water only, I just didn't have the guts. When I saw that it was the start of a new month (December), I decided to take the plunge and start the new month with a new regimen.

I feel it is important for readers to see objectively what happens to my face, so I will post pics weekly. This is me, after just waking up. No makeup, hair not done.

Day 1..... Day 7..... Day 14..... Day 21.....Day 31

Conclusion (Day 31):

Effect on Occurrence of Acne:

I am still getting new spots every few days, sometimes more, sometimes less. But I feel that they heal faster being left alone.

Effect on Oiliness:

I feel that my oil production has greatly lessened, especially when I applied the jojoba at night.

Effect on Overall Appearance of Face:

I feel that my face is more even toned, the spots being less vibrant than in the past.

How it Feels to Be Free:

Amazing. I don't have to wash my face! I don't have to apply x, y & z!!! I feel bad when I read about people who have all these certain products they have to use, this in the am, that in the pm, multi-step processes... I feel bad for those whose skin is "addicted" to bp... Who really wants to do all that for the rest of their life??... it is funny how we "need" to do things to make ourselves feel like we are in control.

To Continue or Not to Continue?

Absolutely will continue. This is great. I may experiment every now and then, like the current mini craze of peppermint oil - I will probably put a few drops in my jojoba oil for when I use it. I might steam my face sometime. But I am done with being married to products.

Final Comments:

To all those who are trying this, good luck! And realize, the more products you are on = the more time you will have to give your skin to recuperate. Luckily I had naturally begun "weaning" my skin off products. Do I still get new spots? Yes. But they are smaller, heal faster, and I feel that if I continue to leave my skin alone, it will stop breaking out and will heal up.

................................................................................

Got to give credit where it is due - the ones who inspired me:

waterwater

wapak

Adam08

jwebb

AlexAlmighty

Edited by LittleTweety

December 1st, 2009 10:38 pm

Just took a shower - splashed face with cool water. No change in pimples/red spots, but skin is generally calmer and more even toned than after being washed with cleanser & having topicals applied.

Edited by LittleTweety

December 2, 2009 9:53 am

Made it through the night! The pimple that was developing above my left eyebrow has come to a head, but everything else looks calm. I hesitate to say it is healing, but that is what it looks like. No new spots, current spots are diminishing, skin tone is even.

Wanted to add some information to my post:

The acid mantle is a thin oily film that sits on top of the outmost layer of our skin. For most people, the pH of the acid mantle is about 4.5 to 5.5. Why is our skin naturally acidic at the surface? Our slightly acidic skin helps to fight off harmful bacteria. Many of the contaminants that might enter our skin, such as chemicals from the atmosphere and harmful bacteria, are alkaline in nature (i.e., they have a pH of higher than 7). Our skin’s natural acidity neutralizes these chemicals and bacteria, much the same way the milk of magnesia neutralizes stomach acid when we have heartburn. Neutralizing these harmful contaminants is part of the body’s defense system. Maintaining the skin pH at the proper level is vital to protecting ourselves from harmful bacteria which can lead to acne, infection, or irritation.

Most of us use soap and water to clean our faces without realizing that this may not be beneficial to us. Soapy water is highly alkaline (with a pH of 12, see chart) while our skin is naturally acidic (with a pH of approximately 5). Soapy water is commonly used to clean our faces because it removes the natural oils from the skin. While this leaves our skin with that “clean feeling," soap is actually neutralizing our skins acid pH thereby stripping away our natural defense systems. Particularly for those of us that wash our faces 2, 3, or 4 times a day because of a problem condition like acne, stripping away the acid mantle can actually worsen our condition. Similarly it is important for us to know the pH of any cleansers, moisturizers, makeup and other products we use so that we don’t remove the protective oils and acid mantle from our skin.

Emphasis added throughout.

http://www.celibre.com/sksacid.aspx

Edited by LittleTweety

December 2, 2009 3:49 pm

Just a quick update. Face is somewhat oily, not an oil slick though. I have wiped my chin on my sleeve a few times when it itched. I just looked in the mirror and see that my spots are more faded-looking (the redness is less vibrant than it usually is). So far, so good.

Edited by LittleTweety

December 2, 2009 8:44 pm

Just took a shower. Splashed face with cool water and then gently applied a little jojoba oil to face (it is getting cold outside, want to make sure my skin, esp. eyes, are hydrated properly). Patted dry.

No new spots. Many of current spots have come to a head and when I applied the jojoba oil I noticed the bumps feel smaller than yesterday.

December 3, 2009 9:56 am

Um, wow! My skin looks beautiful today. All my spots continue to fade. I can't tell if a spot near my mouth is new or if it just came to a head. That is the status of all of my spots: coming to a head and fading. No new spots. :dance:

Edited by LittleTweety

December 3, 2009 1:22 pm

I expected my face to be pretty oily from lack of washing, especially after applying jojoba last night. Actually, I'm not very oily at all. In fact, I have a little flakiness on either side of my chin... weird. I am going to continue to apply jojoba nightly after splashing my face with cool water. I want to keep my skin protected from the cold, and jojoba has healing properties so maybe it will help my spots fade. I think it gives my skin a glow.

December 3, 2009 9:42 pm

Just took a shower. Splashed face with cool water, then applied jojoba oil. When I got out of the shower, I noticed one of my pimples' pus had broken through its surface, so I gently pressed on it to release whatever else wanted out, swiping it away with a clean q-tip as it came out.

Spots continue to reduce in size and appearance.

Edited by LittleTweety

December 4, 2009 9:41 am

I am excited to wake up in the mornings now. The spot I mentioned yesterday that I couldn't tell if it was new or just came to a head is diminishing, which is great b/c it was kinda painful. The spots are still getting smaller and fading.

December 4, 2009 10:23 am

Okay, I feel like part of my improvements are credited to the jojoba oil (its antibacterial and healing properties). I have been reading even more about it and I'm excited all over again. I wonder if I didn't see the same benefits with it before because of the other things I was doing to my skin. Now that my skin only sees water and jojoba oil, it is clearing fast. Jojoba oil is now officially part of my regimen. I renamed my topic for it.

I am sure you all know the great benefits of jojoba oil, but here are a few links:

Carefair.com

Vitaminstuff.com

December 4, 2009 5:02 pm

Okay, the spot by my mouth has a white head now and I'm itching to pop it because it hurts. I won't. But I have touched my face a few times today *Ahhh!*. I think the oiliest parts of my face right now are the areas in between my eyes and my hairline. I have several bumps there as the pictures show, although they are diminishing. Still, feels kinda yucky. Overall though, I am surprised that my face doesn't look especially oily. Just normal. And when I first wake up in the morning it is wonderfully matte -not dry- just a nice finish (maybe from accidentally touching face to pillow? aaahhh).

I don't see signs of the dreaded "dead skin mask" yet, but my face seems to be slightly more dull, I suspect from not being buffed to remove dead skin.

I feel pretty happy about my skin today. Sure, its a tad oily and I have a yucky whitehead by my mouth. I still have red spots that haven't faded all the way. But my skin tone is good.

5:58 pm

I would also like to note that when I wipe my face with my sleeve (itchies), pieces of dead skin are apparent on my sleeve. Ew, I know.

Edited by LittleTweety

December 4, 2009 9:24 pm

Aaahhh... for the first few days the splash of water in the shower satisfied me. Now, however, I am itching to wash or exfoliate... but I resist. I did let the water splash over my face and kinda massaged it a little with my fingers... still applied jojoba afterwards.

Still have all of the same spots, though they look like they are in the process of going away. It can take weeks for these to heal for me...

Eh... I also gently squeezed (with clean q-tips) on either side of that pimple by my mouth til it expelled some of its contents. The pressure was too bothersome. There is still more in it but I didn't want to do too much to it...

December 5, 2009 8:09 am

Okay, mornings are great! My skin has this beautiful "finish" - not oily or dry, but juuuust right! My skin looks the clearest when I first wake up.

I do have two tiny little guys (one on each cheek) that were either one of the red marks at the start or they sprang up. Don't know, but they are ridiculously small!

My repeated phrase: No new spots (oh... except those two), and current ones are diminishing and fading.

December 5, 2009 2:08 pm

Skin still the same (which is good) - maybe a little more oily than in morning.

I just ate some sugar free chocolate chips that were sweetened with maltitol. I just researched maltitol and found that this isn't such a great thing. I am not sure if this will lead to a breakout or not. I believe my acne is connected to my diet/digestive tract condition, but I have never really seen a correlation between specific foods and my acne.

I am planning to do a psyllium & bentonite cleanse tomorrow night. I would like to do a few of them (over a month or so) and keep taking probiotics, then add in colostrum at some point.

Edited by LittleTweety

December 5, 2009 5:24 pm

I did something terrible. I picked at some of my spots. They had a scab-like dead skin piece over them, and I removed them... I can also feel a pimple forming on my left cheekbone. Hopefully I will not see horrible consequences for my moment of weakness... at least I had just washed my hands...

December 5, 2009 10:15 pm

First sign of trouble??

Well, I let warm water run over my face tonight in the shower. I gently "massaged" and then added the jojoba oil. I am feeling some bumps developing under my skin on my cheeks.

All the "originals" are still there and healing, but not going away as quickly as I would like.

December 6, 2009 9:02 am

Nothing too scary to report... the spot I could feel forming on my cheek is red and visible. But nothing else is new. Still thrilled with the way my face looks when I wake up. Spots continue to diminish.

December 6, 2009 10:45 pm

I wore mascara today. I will remove it using jojoba oil.

My new spot on my cheek is already a whitehead. I also have a whitehead on my left jaw and several formed on my chin that were from spots there on day 1. They may be popped in the shower....

Oooh, tomorrow is picture day isn't it?

December 7, 2009 12:16 am

Took a shower, let warm water on my face & gently massaged. Even in the warm water I can still feel my skin has an oily coating on it, so I am not concerned about using it (the warm water). I applied more jojoba and gently blotted off excess.

It feels as though I have some bumps forming under my skin in some places. I'll let the pictures show you where I am at later today.

December 7, 2009 11:23 am

Posted pictures! This was right after me getting out of bed, so my hair is a mess. Plus I have to keep it off my face so you can see everything.

Once again, I am happy with the way my skin looks in the morning. It may be that I have some new spots forming but they haven't shown up yet and I can't feel them growing. The whiteheads from yesterday are gone & their spots starting to heal.

December 7, 2009 11:54 pm

Pretty much the same things to report. Took a shower, rinsed face with warm water, applied jojoba. You can see in my pictures today that several spots have whiteheads now. Everything else is in the process fading. When I apply jojoba it feels as though I have some bumps forming on jaw, have to see what happens.

1:02 am

Upon further inspection, I see a few new, small pimples on my right cheek and a medium sized

one on my right jaw right by the other spot that was there. We'll see what happens overnight.

Edited by LittleTweety

December 8, 2009 10:26 am

The pimples I noticed last night are still there but are small. The bump I felt forming on my jaw did not come out as a deep one, it already has a whitehead on it.

There is less and less redness on my face. I feel like when I look at my face I see me, I see even toned skin. Yes I still have spots. But they don't seem to grab as much attention as they used to. Old spots continue to fade.

Edited by LittleTweety

December 8, 2009 11:08 pm

Same routine. I did not feel any new bumps under my skin. My chin feels kinda funny, as if there were many tiny bumps on it but not like pimples forming and I can't see them, only feel. I have two new pimples by my left eyebrow and one by my right, but they are not very noticeable. Current spots continue to fade slowly. New spots seem small and heal more quickly.

I wanted to mention that I have not seen any evidence of a dead skin mask like the "cavemen" and don't believe I will. In case I was unclear, I do not wear makeup, except mascara occasionally (which I remove with jojoba oil and a cotton ball).

I feel that I have been posting quite often with little to report except occasional new, small pimples and slow, overall healing.

I see no reason to be redundant with my posts, so I will post once a day or less, and I will continue to post pictures weekly through December. At the end of the month I will post my conclusion on this experience and what I plan to do in the future concerning this regimen.

Edited by LittleTweety