Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been reading a lot about using Niacinamide as an acne treatment lately and I want to try it out, but I am a little confused. I'm hoping some of you have some experience with it or knowledge about it that you can share.

My first question is, does it have to be applied topically to achieve an effect, or has anyone noticed/heard of it having at least a similar effect on acne when taken orally?

Also, if anyone has made their own gel, I would really appreciate any hints, advice, details, etc. you can give on what you did. I tried to make a small amount with some 100% aloe vera gel and 100mg tablets. I crushed them as well as I could into what looked like a powder, but the gel was really white after I added it and it felt gritty when I put it on. I didn't know what the homemade gel should look like/feel like, or the best way to make the powder. I know there are 500mg tablets, which would be more efficient, but what is the best way to crush them? Does the gel usually feel smooth when you put it on? And also, did your skin feel dry after the gel dried? My skin became dry after applying the gel I made, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to put moisturizer over it.

I know this is a lot of questions, but any help would be much appreciated!

Niacinamide is most commonly applied topically in the form of a gel, and studies have shown it to be of good efficiency when preventing acne.

Orally, well in the US people can be prescribed it in the form of Nicomide which (in their own study) has been effective in treating acne.

I take 1000mg daily and I think it's working pretty well. Any spots I do get only last for a couple of days before subsiding, whereas before they could hang around for a week or more. If the topical niacinamide helps reduce or block inflammation then I would see it as a good bet to assume that oral niacinamide does the same thing. I also use a 5% niacinamide gel which also seems to be working very well.

I use a 5% niacinamide gel that I really like a lot (Metazine gel). I tried making my own as well, but had the same problem you did with it being too grainy.