Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
victoriae

The Climate is making me break out?

Growing up I always had acne as a teenager. I tried so many different things and my derm could never find anything to work for me. When I turned 19 (24 now) I moved across Canada from the Atlantic Region to Alberta. Within like 2 months my face was completely clear. I thought it was because I had started a new form of the pill but then I was off the pill completely a couple months later and my face stayed clear.

For the next 5 years that I lived in Alberta I never really had a problem with my skin. I would get the odd small breakout, especially if I didn't take off my makeup before bed. It was normal, and I could control it.

Now that I have moved back to Atlantic Canada I am broken out for the last 2 months worse than ever. I have tried everything from BP to Cetaphil to Proactive. It keeps getting worse! Nothing else in my lifestyle has changed. If anything I drink less alcohol and eat better.

I don't get it, could the climate be making my skin break out? It's always so damp here and I'm wondering if this could be something to do with it. I am trying to get a referral to see a derm again but we only have one in my area and she's booked for the next 4 months! I would love just to go back out west but I'm in school for the next 6 months... :(

So sad!

It might have something to do with humidity.

I live in Michigan. My acne gets worse in the winter. Cold, dry air, lack of sun and the tendency to eat more comfort (starchy/sugary foods) in the winter along with less physical activity all contribute I think.

I have had winters with very little acne. Not this one.

Hydrating yours skin (moisturizer) and body (water) might help.

I'm not going to pretend tha I know what to do. Maybe make a list of variables/ differences between the two locations and try to control for them.

It's hard to be more or less clear and then start having regular breakouts, I'm going through that now.

Well my skin is bad enough that my doctor is recommending accutane, although if ispend 2 weeks somewhere nice and sunny like Spain or Greece or America in the summer, my skin becomes near perfect. (i live in the UK)

Yes, it could be the humidity.

it could also be something environmental, like the water. Sometimes there are big regional differences. Try filtering it. Might help. I recall a few good conversations about that topic. Do a search of the site and maybe you can find them.

Also, there may be some factors relative to the regional food, too.