Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, no matter what I do, after I put on my makeup - my face looks like a complete oil slick... in about one hour. :redface:

Everyday before school, I moisturize lightly and then use a few dots of sunscreen. I then put on a little bit of the Smashbox Photofinish Light Primer.

I use about a little less than a dime sized amount of Clinique SuperFit Foundation on my whole face, and then cover any other red marks with a few dots of MAC Studio Finish concealer.

I then finish with lightly patting MAC Blot Powder on my oily areas.

Anyway, this doesn't seem like too much makeup - yet I end up with a terribly shiny face. I blot every hour, yet the shine comes back in about 30 min. And by the end of the day, I'm an oily mess with hardly any makeup left on my face! :surprised:

In a few days, I'm going on a week long trip with my school to Paris. I'm attending a conference, and I really need to look professional/decent - not an oily mess! I'm going to be having makeup on for long, long hours. 7am to 10pm at least. :ninja:

What can I do to control oil? I know I'm not moisturizing too much, because sometimes my face is still dry/flaky when I try to put on makeup.

What can be done? :cry: I am at my wit's end! :boohoo:

PS - When I'm NOT wearing any makeup, my skin doesn't turn into an oil slick so fast. I washed my face at noon today, and now it's 5pm - and I have hardly any shine. Why does this shinefest only party when I have on makeup?!

Edited by oh-so outrageous

I am actually pretty confused as to why you are becoming oily so quickly :think:

Usually, I would say to apply just a light amount of makeup (which you seem to be doing) and to make sure your skin is well hydrated (because if your skin is dry, it will compensate by producing more oil) but you say that when you're not wearing makeup, you don't have this problem. IMO, that must mean it is still something about your makeup or makeup application. How do you apply it? Have you considered an oil-control foundation?

Edited by NessaVéneanár

I just checked out that foundation and it claims to control oil. I do recall using this years ago and, if I remember correctly, I don't think I liked it very much. I just found 3 reviews that stated how oily their skin looked in a matter of a couple hours, so you're not alone. There are a lot of positive reviews but everyone requires something different from their makeup. It might be time to try something else!

You could go on makeupalley.com and see what others with acne-prone skin like. As for myself, I use Revlon's Colorstay. Estee Lauder's Double Wear seems to very popular around here, too.

Another thought, have you tried wearing your makeup without the primer? Sometimes I feel that they only create more oil, or at least try another.

Edited by NessaVéneanár

I used to have the same problem with my makeup, and I found the only thing which helped was pure silica powder.

You can shell out about $86/oz for it from Sephora by buying the Makeup Forever HD powder, or you can get it for $4/oz at Coastal Scents. I just lightly apply it after my makeup, and my face feels so soft and stays matte.

Thank you so much for the replies guys!

To Nessa, I did read some reviews about the SuperFit foundation being too oily, but the thing is that it doesn't break me out. Before a week long trip full of plane rides and long makeup-ed hours, I'm kind of scared of experimenting. I also do have a bottle of Estee Lauder Double Wear, but everytime I used it (about 3 times?), I wound up with a pimple on my face! The pimple started forming/becoming more noticeable right after I washed off the makeup, so I feel that Double Wear was the culprit... Is this a fair assumption, or would the pimple take longer to form?

Lalaalove: I'm not sure where to buy this Silicone powder! I live in Saudi Arabia...

Dermalogica makes a few products that seem to really help with my oily face. I like to use their Oil Control Lotion before I put on anything like makeup. It's like a very light moisturizer that really seems to help. You also might like their Clearing Mattifier. It has natural silicones that seem to really melt and blend into the skin to keep it smooth.

are you using a clean sponge or brush? because I notice my skin getting super oily after a while of not cleaning my brush :ninja: also under the make-up have you ever looked into Almond Oil? some people would rec. Jojoba Oil but Almond seems to be lighter and very effective for dry skin.

I used to have REALLY oily skin before I started spironolactone... I'd just use blot papers all the time. Apparently Milk Of Magnesia can help keep the oil at bay for awhile. Some people splash it on their face and others apply a thin layer of it directly onto the skin before makeup application. I guess it's about experimenting. There are reviews on the Makeupalley website and Wayne Goss (makeup artist) talks about it in one of his videos on YouTube.

Try mineral makeup. I can't stress it enough! My friend was having similar issues and stopped wearing makeup because nothing helped or everything she did made her break out due to her oily skin. I recommended Earth Diva mineral foundation to her because that's what I've been using for awhile (it helped my acne enormously so I thought it may help her problem). She's now been using their mineral foundation for about 2 months and it has already dramatically helped maintain a balance to her skin by decreasing her oil production.

I know that the company also carries another mineral makeup product called Setting Powder that is specifically for oily skin. It is supposed to add additional aid in oil absorbtion. This is their website - I hope it helps!!

Earth Diva Cosmetics (www.earthdivacosmetics.com)

Edited by Sahara123